Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using GCN Controller on Wii Menu via cIOS

Posted by someperson_12345 
Using GCN Controller on Wii Menu via cIOS
January 19, 2011 05:39AM
Wii Classic Controller can use its analog stick on Wii System Menu. Why can't GameCube controllers! I hate wanting to play a GC game then turning on the Wii, getting past the BootMii menu screen with the GCN controller then switching to WiiMote, then back when playing a GCN game. It's annoying

Now, I understand IOS 36/38 are system menus and Wii is running in Wii-mode, so it can access GC controllers (since SSBB can use GCN controllers and is Wii mode)

So my question is, has anybody made this tweak - it even possible to do so. It would be very convenient for a lot of people. Nintendo are just being lazy, trying to give people a fake extra reason to get a Classic Controller or something.

I can see that this is not a cIOS support forum, but I reckon this is a tweak of general interest. I couldn't find anything discussing this problem with IOS/cIOS reference, so I thought I'd ask here - I rather you didn't delete this post.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 05:43AM by someperson_12345.
Re: Using GCN Controller on Wii Menu via cIOS
January 19, 2011 05:56AM
It's possible(I think), but it isn't feasable. You would have to do a lot of messing around with their code to get gamecube controller support, more than anybody is willing to do. You can set an autoboot for bootmii so that it automatically starts the wiimenu. Look for an app called Bootmii configuration editor, it can do just this.
January 19, 2011 06:10AM
A cIOS wouldn't help you in any way (nor does the System Menu use IOS36 or IOS38). If you wanted to use a Gamecube controller you would need to modify the System Menu itself.

Edit: typos

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 06:12AM by bg4545.
January 19, 2011 10:45AM
Thanks for the replies.

But yeah, I understand that I can skip the BootMii menu by renaming the file from the SD card to skip the menu.

I was hoping since the Classic Controller is already supported it would be trivial to do something like redirect GCN Controller analog stick (and A button) data as a Classic Controller data or something. Apparently not.

bg4545
A cIOS wouldn't help you in any way (nor does the System Menu use IOS36 or IOS38). If you wanted to use a Gamecube controller you would need to modify the System Menu itself.

Sorry, I was mistaken thinking IOS36/38 WAS used by the SystemMenu. I didn't look it up, I just assumed so after reading random posts on the internet.

g_man
It's possible(I think), but it isn't feasable. You would have to do a lot of messing around with their code to get gamecube controller support, more than anybody is willing to do.

Well, I hope somebody will do this in future.
January 19, 2011 06:57PM
Well considering you mentioned that you have BootMii menu show up, you can just load HBC from there, use GC controller in there and load something like Gecko OS (which I believe can load GC games), and you can control the entire thing with the GC controller. Or GCBooter, which will instantly boot the game, no menu first like in Gecko OS (I think). Not exactly what you want, but a much simpler workaround.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login