Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Multiple save file homebrew app?

Posted by VGMoose 
Multiple save file homebrew app?
January 01, 2009 06:43PM
Would it be possible to create an application that would boot the current game dvd with a different save file? This way it would be possible to have multiple save files for one game (such as animal crossing) and switch between them.

It could work by simply swapping the directory that contains the data for the save with another directory that contains the alternate data and then booting the game... right?
Re: Multiple save file homebrew app?
January 01, 2009 09:32PM
Technically, I don't see why you couldn't. It would fit nicely in GeckoOS as well.
January 02, 2009 02:07AM
Alternatively you could probably use save extractor and installer. I can't guarantee it'll work because I don't use them, but it could be worth a try if you want.

But of course, that's no reason to not develop a separate app for this function. :)
January 02, 2009 06:27PM
whodares
Technically, I don't see why you couldn't. It would fit nicely in GeckoOS as well.

How would this be achieved?

Would we write a new hook that changed to a different ID?

Lets for example say, reboot with a hook to change the last character of the 4 digit ID ?

Game: RSVP
Hook to cheat file: RSVC
etc.

If so patching of the loaded game would need to be done and stay resident in memory.

I think this could be done but would expect some games to cause problems (maybe ones that save to more than 1 file SSBM etc stages).

This imho would be great and tackle a real issue made by Nintendo, my kids need to go through the tedious task of copying saves to sd, changing sd card loading new save etc etc.

*Edit* my dvd drive in the Wii is borked just now so can't test this thought.
When rebooting to a different region, will a game at present write to the original region file? I tihnk it does but can't test.
So if you load a Pal game but as NTSC, does it save to ###P or ###U, I think P ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2009 06:29PM by Slimmmmmm.
January 02, 2009 09:10PM
My idea was a little simpler than that, but it would require some post-game operation from the user

Init/Post-Game tool: You select a game title, and specify a "game number". A directory is created within the data directory with that number, and all files in the main data directory are copied into said directory.

GeckoOS/Loader tool: You start the game up, it checks the data directory for "game number" directories, and lists your options, you pick which one to play and it copies it over the original save game data
January 02, 2009 10:24PM
My idea is a little different to yours, and I *think I see what you mean.
Your idea would involve moving and renaming the files, so maybe a standalone app for hbc the uses the copy, move rename of apps like SD explorer.

It's a different angle and sounds maybe manageable, are you currently working on this, and if so how far along are you, perhaps me or others could help get it near completion.

So it would save to a new folder within the save folder like RSVP/#/data here, and on selecting a #, it would swap/move files around, so the game still saves to the original folder but is then stored away?

*edit, lol then I re-read to see this is all just theory.

SD explorer, it can do the above, you would just need to strip out the code you need and apply it to an interface of sorts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2009 10:28PM by Slimmmmmm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login