Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Downgrading 3.4 and uninstalling HBC

Posted by Azacheal 
Downgrading 3.4 and uninstalling HBC
January 02, 2009 11:28AM
Hi all, i have firmware 3.4e. I'm about to try TwilightHack and HBC but am a bit confused (even after reading numerous posts ;-)
Many posts i read are preaching about downgrading the firmware to 3.3 but why? HBC has a 3.4 version so what's the problem?
Some answers are in the line of 'not being able to use your apps in 3.4', but what's the use of HBC 3.4 then?

I'm just not a big fan of messign with firmwares after destroying mutltiple pc's/hardware in my life ;-)

Also, can one uninstall HBC so the Wii is 100% clean of homemade apps?
Or will there still be traces left on my machine?

Kind regards
Re: Downgrading 3.4 and uninstalling HBC
January 02, 2009 11:38AM
Ah i just found this topic http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?21,709,719#msg-719

Stating
Firstly, erasing it will get rid of every sign except what's on the wii message board. Yes, use the TP hack once. And then yes, as long as you are good at following instructions, it will be easy to get apps going. And no, this will not brick your Wii. I have never heard even a single case of it happening.

So my 2nd question has been answered (but do correct if needed ;)

About the 3.4e firmware, i just read i (probably) accepted a EULA stating Nintendo can now update my Wii without asking.
If that's true, then downgrading has no use has it? Since Nintendo can simply update me again and my HBC will ben gone again.
January 02, 2009 11:53AM
Azacheal
Many posts i read are preaching about downgrading the firmware to 3.3 but why? HBC has a 3.4 version so what's the problem?
DVDX was blocked with the v3.4 update, which meant using mediaplayers and emulators that read from the DVD drive stopped functioning. Aside from that, the only other failures I am aware of are with pirate related tools, and that's no big loss.

Azacheal
Also, can one uninstall HBC so the Wii is 100% clean of homemade apps?
Or will there still be traces left on my machine?
The HBC will be in your daily play log thing, but that's irrelevant.

Azacheal
If that's true, then downgrading has no use has it? Since Nintendo can simply update me again and my HBC will ben gone again
That is still unknown at the moment (AFAIK), we don't know how Nintendo are distributing these updates. If it was put in SysMenu v3.4, then rolling back to v3.3 or v3.2 might work. If they put it in the WC24 schedule, downgrading would probably not make a difference (in fact, if it's not removed from there, and it relies on functionality from v3.4, you might actually crash your Wii. That's pure speculation tho)
January 02, 2009 12:08PM
Hi Whodares, thx for the answers. I'm not sure what you (exactly) mean with pirate related tools.
All i want is play some homemade games.
But i guess they need some form of emulator.

Maybe another silly question then, but what use is the HBC if you can't run emulators?
( i can see why Nintendo doesn't want the customers to use it, so the question is, once more, probably better asked to the HBC creators)
January 02, 2009 12:43PM
Azacheal
I'm not sure what you (exactly) mean with pirate related tools.
Backup Loaders, WAD manager/installer

Azacheal
All i want is play some homemade games.
But i guess they need some form of emulator.
Nope, you don't need emulators for homebrew games. Homebrew games are written by people for the Wii... My FreeCell game, for example, is a Wii game, you need the HBC or Twilight Hack to play it, but it doesn't need any emulators.

Azacheal
Maybe another silly question then, but what use is the HBC if you can't run emulators?
You can run emulators, and technically emulators are not piracy related, providing you own the games you have ROMs of.
January 02, 2009 12:59PM
Riiight, got it.
I should have no problems then, thx alot.

ps. Where can i find your game?
January 02, 2009 01:49PM
It's available through the Homebrew Browser, or here - [www.wiibrew.org]

I recommend downloading the Homebrew Browser - [www.wiibrew.org]
This lets you update and download games and apps straight on your Wii

Here's some more games on Wiibrew - [www.wiibrew.org]
January 02, 2009 02:10PM
About deleting the HBC, wouldn't the title still be on there if you erase it in the Wii's data management? Like how when you delete a VC/WiiWare game, the title is there so you can re-download. When I deleted the HBC, I used tona's AnyTitle Deleter just to be safe. I deleted all traces of homebrew, like cIOS and the HBC's title (HAXX) and some gamesaves from other regions, rebooted the Wii and no more homebrew
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login