Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HBC does not read from USB after IOS58

Posted by larrycooper 
Re: HBC does not read from USB after IOS58
January 17, 2012 09:27AM
Did nobody stop to think that some patches might have been applied to IOS58 that didn't work quite right?
January 17, 2012 05:25PM
No, because then HBC would be upside down. It does not like patched IOS.
January 17, 2012 05:27PM
If that was the case, the reporter probably would have mentioned that HBC was upside down and that WiiMC presents a warning message on startup...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2012 05:28PM by Tantric.
January 19, 2012 09:30PM
Yeah, well if HBC was working just fine and reading the USB before the IOS and HBC replacement, it makes a lot more sense to run a syscheck and find out what version of the IOS etc. is running than try to recompile HBC to work with something that it was already working with in the first place. Remember that they used IOS58 installer instead of installing menu version 4.3.
My fix was to install menu 4.3 as most software will use the newer AHBPROT access anyway. And, for anything else, a downgrade of IOS36 will allow it to run. In short, spend less time deleting posts and more time listening to the problem.
HBC doesn't need a recompile if it was already working to begin with. -_-
January 19, 2012 09:43PM
What the heck are you talking about? AHBPROT has nothing to do with System Menu 4.3. It has been a feature of the Wii since day 0, it just wasn't known/fully understood until recent versions of HBC, so wasn't implemented before that.

ISO58 is installed perfectly, otherwise HBC would be upside down and WiiMC would display an error. This has nothing to do with how IOS58 was installed.

A downgraded IOS36 will affect nothing in this case. HBC is not running on IOS36 so it is 100% irrelevant.

Clearly HBC is not working, otherwise there would not have been the post in the first place. Therefore, seeing as everything else is working (no upside down HBC, no errors in WiiMC, WiiMC working), the solution almost definitely is a recompile of HBC with the latest USB fixes.

I hope you appreciate me taking the time to explain to you why each point in your post is irrelevant or wrong, rather than just deleting the post, which would probably have been justified, seeing as it was indeed inaccurate and largely irrelevant sadly. I hope this helps you learn more about the Wii, and homebrew and stuff.
January 20, 2012 09:02AM
If you're saying that IOS58 was a part of system menu 4.2 and can't be the problem because HBC is dependant upon it to function properly, I think you need to do your homework a little better. IOS58 was a part of 4.3 and is installed with it. Since HBC worked on version 4.2 system menu and version 4.2 of the menu is currently installed, IOS58 might not be functioning properly and HBC may, in fact, still be using the IOS originally intended for 4.2 system menu.
If someone is going to tell me I'm wrong, I would prefer it to be someone that at least knows what they're talking about. When you children are done bickering, please do your homework on system menus, IOS releases and the like to turn into teacher for credit. The IOS58 installer most likely did not work right which is causing HBC to resort to the earlier IOS which it knows is there properly.
So, for the final time, install 4.3 system menu to include all of the IOS files you could really need to run HBC properly so it doesn't depend on older IOS versions. After that, the IOS58 will be up-to-date and HBC will look for it properly. Again, HBC is NOT dependent upon IOS58 to run and it will not cause the screen to turn upside down in system menu 4.2 as system menu 4.2 does not come with IOS58. If the IOS is not found, it resorts to another IOS and uses USB1 mode instead. Since it's not using any USB, it tells me that either the USB device isn't 2.0 compatible (rare) or the IOS is slightly problematic.
BTW, as a temporary fix to your problem rather than leaving you with nothing, if you don't want to upgrade to 4.3 system menu, run dop-mii and uninstall IOS58 and then reinstall HBC so it's not looking for it by default. But I recommend using it to upgrade to 4.3 then reinstalling HBC 1.0.8 to use the new USB2.0 capability you were looking for in the first place.
As for the AHBPROT, it's the preferred method of running homebrew. Unfortunately, the method in which it was run changed in later system menu versions due to patches and fixes and the like. So yes, it has a little something to do with what system menu is being used.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 12:02PM by d3m0n1q_733rz.
January 20, 2012 05:12PM
You really think an idiot who doesn't know this sort of thing would become a moderator on the forum of the site that essentially started Wii homebrew? I know exactly what I am talking about. I know IOS58 was released at the same time as System Menu 4.3, and was part of the same update (not part of 4.3). I know HBC can work just fine without IOS58. But if IOS58 is installed (which it was) and HBC is reinstalled after doing this (which it was), HBC IS using IOS58. Stop posting nonsense to the contrary. IOS58 Installer has never failed to correctly install IOS58.

And AHBPROT has NOTHING to do with System Menu version. And it is also nothing to do with "running homebrew". Running homebrew works just fine without it. It is used for accessing hardware, which before people used patched IOS for. But homebrew always has and will work without AHBPROT or patched IOS.

Now please stop posting nonsense. As we have answered the OP's question (i.e. only solution is recompile of HBC), and the only people posting here are you posting inaccurate nonsense and me correcting you (on the same points every time), I see no reason to leave this thread open, and will lock it.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.