Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bootmii failure solution as promised

Posted by d3m0n1q_733rz 
Bootmii failure solution as promised
February 03, 2012 03:12PM
Okay, so someone recently requested help with BootMii after having it stop part-way through and say that the SD card was full. This, in turn, gave a partial NAND backup. Unfortunately, BootMii appears to have difficulty starting when some files not required for boot are corrupt. So, the best practice is to delete all files in the SD card related to BootMii including the partial nand backup and keys.bin file and then run hackmii to load fresh bootmii files to the SD card. Simply re-installing Bootmii to the card will not remove the partial/corrupt file and will leave BootMii in a very strange way.
This applies to when you've been required to shutdown the Wii during a backup. If you've simply bought a new SD card and it's not working, just load Hackmii and tell it to prepare the SD card to load BootMii again.

Promise kept. ;-)
Re: Bootmii failure solution as promised
February 03, 2012 05:55PM
Bootmii actually has an integer overflow bug that prevents it from seeing more than 4GB free space. This can lead to the following situation:
- You've got an existing nand.bin on the card, taking up 528MB (for simplicity let's call it 0.5GB)
- There's between 4GB and 3.5GB free space (or between 8GB/7.5GB, 12GB/11.5GB etc...)
- Backup process begins, the old nand.bin is deleted and the card now has between 4.5GB/4GB free (but bootmii only sees 0.5GB/0GB), the free space reduces as the backup proceeds.... until you get to exactly 4GB free and bootmii panics because it thinks there's no more room.
February 03, 2012 08:09PM
The problem I'm talking about is at startup when there's only a partial nand.bin backup present due to a failure of some sort.
February 03, 2012 08:55PM
Yeah I would say formatting the card (erasing all the files) then reinstalling BootMii's files would be the solution if any file on the SD card becomes corrupted.
February 03, 2012 09:00PM
And there you go. If one option doesn't help, you've got yourself some contingency plans. ^_^ Wish I could have found the thread I promised you this fix for, but it's the best I could do.
February 03, 2012 09:06PM
As I stated in your other topic, you are not allowed to have multiple accounts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login