Black screen on SNES and NES emulators (Homebrew, Bootmii)
October 31, 2012 06:01AM
Hello there. I know there are many topics on here, but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

I recently softmodded my Wii console with Homebrew and Bootmii. Bootmii was installed as iOS because it couldn't be installed as boot2 (maybe that will be of some help).

Everything went smoothly. I tried playing some ROMS for the SNES emu (snes9x GX) to no avail. I get a black screen with sound but no video. I can hear the game sounds and nothing locks up. The only problem is that I can't see anything on the screen. The N64 emulator wii64 works perfectly (with a little sound mess-up but that is to be expected. Any help would be much appreciated. Let me know if you need more info.
Re: Black screen on SNES and NES emulators (Homebrew, Bootmii)
October 31, 2012 11:42AM
Try looking in the settings of the SNES emulator for any video output settings and change them. It may be trying to output in a format not supported by your TV. (This is probably especially true of ROMs not for your own region).
October 31, 2012 06:59PM
The thing is, when I start the emulator, the only settings it gives me is network, menu, and saving & loading setting options. None of them give me an option to change video settings.

I should also like to mention (as to maybe clarfify further) that once I start the rom I can't even get to the Wii menu's (pressing the HOME button on the wiimote, etc). I can hear the menu's, the controller vibrates, but I can't see anything.
October 31, 2012 10:50PM
Snes9x-gx uses old style "non-interlaced" video modes, the same as what the original SNES hardware used. Some flat screen TVs (and other recent models) can't display those modes when component cables are used. The same issue affects virtual console games but Nintendo were smart enough to add a key combination to disable it and use the regular video mode.
November 01, 2012 03:02AM
I'm not using a flat screen (or even a new model for that matter) television. It's a standard CRT. That wouldn't explain why the settings menu is missing the video option and the button configuration option.

I tried re-installing homebrew and even re-adding the application but there isn't a way to change video settings.
November 01, 2012 07:43PM
try deleting the setting.xml files (or whatever they are called)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login