Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unable to boot homebrew

Posted by _mj_ 
Unable to boot homebrew
December 03, 2012 06:48PM
Hello,

I had previously helped a friend with a Wii and used IOS58 along with HBC 1.0. Everything was fine and then it suddenly stopped booting homebrew. I updated HBC to 1.1 but still can't boot homebrew. It starts to load and then stops or I just get a blank screen. Any ideas? I haven't followed anything with the Wii in some time so I think I'm out of the loop.

Thanks for any help.
Re: Unable to boot homebrew
December 03, 2012 06:49PM
Forgot to mention that I am on 4.3U.
December 03, 2012 07:48PM
That sounds very strange. My advice would probably be to do an online system update on your Wii. If it's still not working, reinstall HBC again.

Note that if you have any cIOS or other stuff for "backups", you may experience problems with some of that stuff. Any legit homebrew stuff should be fine.
December 03, 2012 08:51PM
What's driving me crazy is that I used a program previously to guide me though everything that was installed on the Wii and I cannot find it anymore. I am pretty sure there was a cIOS installed. When I try to perform a system update, it fails. I think I have PriiLoader installed, as I can hold the reset button on boot and get to that menu. When I try to run anything from that menu as well, like HackMii, I just get a white screen. Through HBC I can run Simple IOS Patcher and I try to patch to IOS80 instead of IOS58 and it fails saying it cannot find the file. I have it both the WAD folder and on the root of the SD card.

I have also been having some problems with the SD card on my PC, in that when I try to copy and move files it hangs and Windows wants to scan it. Could the SD card be the issue?
December 03, 2012 11:18PM
Oh dear, one of those guides. The problem with them is they install a whole host of nonsense only useful to pirates (and I guess legitimate backup users, but the number of pirates greatly outnumbers them sadly), without the person installing (you, in this case) really understanding what they're doing.

It's so much better to learn what stuff actually does and decide for yourself what you want to install. Although I understand that takes time and not everyone wants to spend time doing that.

Anyway, if you go into priiloader and go to settings then system menu hacks, you should see a hack called something like "block online updates" which will be enabled; disable it, then system update should work. After that, try homebrew again.

Also, I want to check: what homebrew are you loading? (Just making sure it isn't something that relies on a cIOS like a backup loader or WAD installer, in which case the "problem" is probably a stubbed IOS249, and we won't really give you any help seeing as we don't support that sort of thing here; if on the other hand you're loading stuff like emulators or WiiMC or homebrew games or whatever, we'll do all we can)
December 04, 2012 12:06AM
Figured out the problem and it had nothing to do with anything I have loaded. When I started checking the SD card on my PC to see what was there, I kept having issues reading or copying from it. I decided to start over and Windows wouldn't even format the thing. I then downloaded a SD formatter and that was able to wipe the card. I then reloaded everything to it and all is working fine again. Never had a SD card corrupt on me like that before.

Sorry for the trouble and thanks again for the response. I really appreciate it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login