Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Clean update

Posted by jaysonturner 
Clean update
January 08, 2009 04:17PM
Just out of curiosity, Is there anyway after downgrading/hacking etc to perform a clean update on a wii. By clean I mean flashing it with a fresh copy of the firmware..?

To rephrase: Is there any way to completely undo all hacking by flashing the wii with a fresh copy of system software, therefore overwriting all hacked IOS's settings files etc.

I imagined the wii would have a recovery boot incase of corrupted code etc, so that it can download a fresh copy of system software and burn it to flash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2009 02:17AM by jaysonturner.
Re: Clean update
January 08, 2009 05:12PM
Would you be updating by Nintendo?

Because I've heard that hacking your wii and using Nintendo to update could brick your wii.
January 08, 2009 05:25PM
/\
/\
NO. Updating your Wii doesn't bricks the console, but if you do using internet, disables homebrew.
What exactly do you mean by "clean update"?
January 09, 2009 01:02AM
I mean so that the wii is completely free of all hacks, 100% Nintendo software ...
January 09, 2009 04:20AM
Hmmm, if you have just installed Homebrew Channel, you can just delete it from the Data Management screen, or using AnyTitle Deleter. Same goes for DVDX. For Starfall, you can use AnyRegion Changer to reinstall system menu 3.2. cIOS theoretically can be easily uninstalled with the right apps (Google it), but there is some rare reports of cIOS messing around with Wii in general*.
January 09, 2009 01:51PM
I've done the lot, AnyRegion Changer to downgrade 3.4 to 3.2, HBC, Starfall.

So there is no way to simply re-install 3.4 to wipe out everything I've done? It seems a bit stupid to go around undoing everything when all the files that have been modified could just be over-written by their originals.

Any thoughts..
January 10, 2009 03:26AM
January 10, 2009 01:44PM
bushing
No.

Question answered.
January 12, 2009 09:10AM
Does the "format wii memory" option in the Wii settings not do that?
January 13, 2009 10:09AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login