Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quake 2 or 3 port with multiplayer

Posted by Adamavy 
Re: Quake 2 or 3 port with multiplayer
August 19, 2008 07:39PM
WiiPhlex
Arikado said something about a DOS emu...

DosBox is being ported but this does not use it.
This is a direct port of quake.
August 19, 2008 08:15PM
When it is ported, it should be able to run the dos quakes, dooms, and wolfensteins, right?
August 20, 2008 12:40AM
That was my point Ariado, Quake 1 is a direct port, but if theres the emu 2 and 3 are ported by default you could say.
August 20, 2008 12:41AM
Right, thats what I was trying to point out earlier. I'm assuming that the mouse is going to be replaced by the wiimotes IR sensor.
August 20, 2008 05:20AM
using quake thru dosbox would definately not be as good as doing a direct port I think that the performance would be greatly reduced also if you do a direct port you can tweak it a bit possible have better graphics who knows.
August 20, 2008 10:36PM
A port would be the better option of the two. Unfortunately, I never bought any of the quakes (a little young at that time, I guess) so the port of quake 1 was my first quake expierience. I'm looking forward to one day trying out all three.

EDIT: Offtopic but was the final fantasy 7 pc version DOS?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2008 10:45PM by Arikado.
August 21, 2008 09:47AM
A little off topic yeah, but Final Fantasy 7 came in two versions, one will work on Dos, 95 and 98 while I have FF7 Ultima installed on my Vista partition and it works perfectly :)
August 21, 2008 05:50PM
lol old school ultima was weird lol
August 22, 2008 11:39AM
It is awsome and still works. Other than that, if you have the images for the old school one (3discs I think), that seems to work on vista with few bugs.
August 22, 2008 07:14PM
Only the first Quake 1 versions ran on DOS.

Quake 1 is DOS/Windows/*nix and the others are Windows/*Nix

Quake 1, 1996
Quake 2, 1997
Quake 3, 1999

And I'm still working on Quake 1.

Just to clarify things up. :)
August 22, 2008 08:43PM
Thank you Eluan. Can't wait to hear more!
August 24, 2008 05:38PM
yea. quake 1 multiplayer would be nice :D also i know its illegal but someone find the pak files for the other episodes ;P
August 26, 2008 11:29PM
@Arikado
No Quake 3 did not run on DOS, and no one can legally give you PAK1. The .exe is actually shareware, as well as PAK0. (Heck, the whole program's source is free, so why wouldn't the .exe be?)
And as for running them in a DOS emu, thats pretty unlikely unless the emulator achieves some great speeds and is a port of another emu that's been in development for some time. (Like DOSBox)

Does anyone know enough about the quake 3 engine to know whether it's possible to take the source and make modifications that work for games that run on the engine such as Jedi Knight 2/3 or Call of Duty?
(OMGJEDIKNIGHTONWII)
August 27, 2008 05:37PM
@Dood77
The DOS emulator is dosbox.
August 29, 2008 09:21AM
@Arikado
Whoops, did one of those thought-it-was-the-end-of-the-thread-but-there-was-another-page-I-didn't-read-and-ended-up-replying-to-a-post-that-had-already-been-replied-to things. Sorry :P

But really, doesn't anyone want to see Jedi Knight running on Wii? Makes me want to attempt a glovepie script on my computer just to work out the controls...
September 01, 2008 10:50PM
While I'm looking forward to future versions of Quake 1 (classic controller, multiplayer??), its fine as it is and I'd much rather see work put forth towards Quake 2. Like someone before me said, if the ds can have it, where is it for Wii?
September 07, 2008 01:07AM
Funny, Quake 3 was actually ported to the iPod touch: new article
September 11, 2008 11:46AM
well if thats the case should be easily ported to Wii I can't imagine the Ipod Touch having better specs then the Wii.
September 11, 2008 12:10PM
Huge assumption much? Just because it was ported to a complently differnet device doesn't mean it will be even similar to that.
September 12, 2008 06:13AM
I didn't say it was similar maybe I should have said that it should easily run on the Wii if it runs on an Ipod Touch theres no need to be so flamish I know thier not the same devices but its common sense if software runs on a device that has lower specs then another one then most likely it will run on the other device with high specs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login