Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

how to display homebrew apps as channels

Posted by laserbeak43 
how to display homebrew apps as channels
January 31, 2009 03:54PM
Hi,
I saw a youtube video the other day, and this guy had homebrew apps(emulators, etc) as chanels on his wii.
How do you do this? i could find the right search string to use in google.
Re: how to display homebrew apps as channels
January 31, 2009 04:51PM
You dont, its illegal due to copyrighted banner code in the channels. Furthermore, 98% of any channels of apps you see were also made without the notification of the original authors of the apps. That may cause more legal problems since some apps have licenses and copyrights protecting them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2009 04:53PM by Arikado.
February 01, 2009 06:20PM
illegal copyrighted banner code in the channels? I'm sorry, could you explain that to me?
February 01, 2009 06:55PM
Right now the "official tools" out there to make channels make channels using code copyrigted by Nintendo. Specifically, this copyrighted code is located in the banner of each channel. The banner is the picture you see when you select a channel.

Also, like I said before, channels of the emulators and other applications were most likely created without the permission of the creator of the application.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 07:00PM by Arikado.
February 03, 2009 05:45PM
at the risk of getting yelled at, there is at least one program (I will not link it or utter its name unless someone says it's ok) you can use to make wads that are completely legal, so long as you don't give it a banner or icon. Of course that makes for a rather boring looking channel (blank icon and banner), but at least it'd be legal. The author of said app is working on making a version in which you can have pretty banners and icons and still be legal.

as for the 'didn't get permission from the original author' issue, unless they're distributing the channel as their own work, if I want to make a channel for myself to use on my Wii for my convience, I don't see where a big stink would need to get made about it.
February 03, 2009 09:17PM
bg4m3r
as for the 'didn't get permission from the original author' issue, unless they're distributing the channel as their own work, if I want to make a channel for myself to use on my Wii for my convience, I don't see where a big stink would need to get made about it.
Because when you put hard work and sleepless nights into a project you dont want to see people distributing an unauthorized version of your work. Also, even if someone makes a legal WAD of an app, its still technically illegal to distribute (personal use is fine) said WAD without the permission of the author of the app.
February 03, 2009 11:01PM
Right, I was just pointing out the personal use factor. I completely agree with the distribution issue.

Of course, making WADs for homebrew is kinda silly in the first place as you have to redo it every time it gets updated.
February 05, 2009 11:28PM
If making channels is illegal, how does the homebrew channel work?
February 05, 2009 11:55PM
The HBC is perfectly legal, however Marcan wont release the tools he wrote to make it. So everyone else attempts (and fails) to do the same thing legally.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login