Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fully Bricked Wii, Help Would Be Appreciated

Posted by doctorjuice 
Fully Bricked Wii, Help Would Be Appreciated
June 28, 2010 10:30PM
My wii is bricked to the point that it does not display any video input. This was because I had the homebrew channel installed and mistakenly tried updating my wii. That bricked it. I do not have savemii, bootmii, preloader or anything because I believe I deleted it when I decided I no longer wanted to use the homebrew channel again. Although I never deleted the channel fully so my wii was bricked.

Maybe I'm just stupid but I can't figure out what I need to download on my SD card, or whatnot, in order to get a preloader up and running so I can potentially unbrick my wii.

I'm stumped and anyone who would be able to help fix this for me I would appreciate greatly. =)
Re: Fully Bricked Wii, Help Would Be Appreciated
June 28, 2010 10:41PM
First off, having HBC did NOT brick you. Never has, and legally never can (Ninty can't purposefully brick anyone's Wii).

What System Menu were you on? If it was lower than 4.2, then your boot2 was updated and something failed and your Wii is bricked in a way only recoverable by Nintendo or by someone with an Infectus modchip and some soldering skill. But make no mistake, this is in no way caused by HBC. That may be what Nintendo tell you, but it is a load of rubbish.
June 28, 2010 10:58PM
Oh really? Well that might explain something. I tried to delete my homebrew channel because I am not very experienced at all when it comes to hacking and I didn't want to spend the time getting it to work. So I deleted some part of it from the wii system menu (I think it might've been the twilight hack) but the homebrew channel still remained on the menu. So I said to hell with it and just kept it on there. I was on a menu lower than 4.2 then I tried updating. It got to near the end of the update and the bar stopped progressing. I waited for about 40 minutes. I don't think it would even recognize my wii-mote's signal for some reason.

Then I had to unplug it (I don't think holding down the power button worked). When I turned it on, no video or audio input was recognized.

Also if it means anything, the fan doesn't turn on either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2010 11:01PM by doctorjuice.
June 28, 2010 11:31PM
Unplugging during an update is generally bad. That is what caused the brick. You should have left it a bit longer tbh, like overnight if possible. Sorry, but its probably not possible to fix your Wii, and if you send it to Nintendo, they may charge you extra or refuse to fix it because you have HBC.

FYI, Twilight Hack isn't part of the System Menu.
June 28, 2010 11:39PM
The parts of an update that would cause a brick if installation failed (boot2 and system menu only) are installed first. Therefore, unplugging a wii near the end of the update, while still a very bad idea, would normally not cause a brick. Most likely, something actually failed in the update.

Since the wii is fully bricked, Nintendo will probably not know that you had homebrew. It is quite possible that they will replace it for free, if you tell them it bricked after updating.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2010 11:45PM by jbc007.
June 29, 2010 01:56AM
Oh good that's great. I guess lol.

So it was stupid of me to unplug during the update. I'll remember that.

Also I will send it to Nintendo and say what you suggested jbc.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
June 29, 2010 01:59AM
A question:
So do I just say that it turned off after the update was finished and then it was bricked? I probably shouldn't say I unplugged it?
Also, will I still get to keep my game data?
June 29, 2010 02:16AM
doctorjuice
A question:
So do I just say that it turned off after the update was finished and then it was bricked? I probably shouldn't say I unplugged it?

Think of a lie or something. Say to Nintendo that a pet/young sibling tripped over the power cord during the update, or you had a power surge. Ship it to Nintendo (take out any game/SD card you have in the system) and, within a week, you'll have a new Wii with your Wii Shop info intact.
June 29, 2010 02:27AM
Mestizo
doctorjuice
A question:

Think of a lie or something. Say to Nintendo that a pet/young sibling tripped over the power cord during the update, or you had a power surge. Ship it to Nintendo (take out any game/SD card you have in the system) and, within a week, you'll have a new Wii with your Wii Shop info intact.
Yes, but will my game data?
June 29, 2010 03:25AM
doctorjuice
Mestizo
doctorjuice
A question:

Yes, but will my game data?

Probably not, unfortunately, but there is a chance.
June 29, 2010 04:56AM
Just tell them the truth, that it froze while updating and now it won't turn on. Although it probably doesn't matter, it may help if you act like you have no idea what happened.

It is almost certain that you they will not restore your game saves. This is actually a good thing, because if they were able to restore the saves, they would also find out that you have homebrew and refuse to replace your wii. However, you will be able to redownload everything you previously downloaded from the shop channel for free.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 04:56AM by jbc007.
June 29, 2010 12:31PM
You may not want to use the term "brick". Say "it doesn't turn on" or something, brick is usually a term used exclusively by homebrew communities.
June 30, 2010 01:30AM
Gotcha.

Is there any way I would be able to save my save data? (I get that Nintendo can't. But I need to know if I might be able to myself.)
June 30, 2010 01:31AM
doctorjuice
Gotcha.

Is there any way I would be able to save my save data? (I get that Nintendo can't. But I need to know if I might be able to myself.)
I mean the data is still in there. There's gotta be a way I can get back somehow unless it's corrupted.
June 30, 2010 03:50AM
The only way to do that is with a hardware NAND programmer. I believe you would also need your wii's keys. If you don't already have the keys, the only way to get them is to manually install Bootmii/boot2, which will only work if your wii is old enough to install bootmii/boot2. If you choose to do this, you will fix your wii yourself rather than have Nintendo replace it, as this is almost everything that you would have to do to fix it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 03:50AM by jbc007.
August 01, 2011 04:58PM
try using a savemiifrii usin a dance pad or gamecube controller in slot 4 and presing all direction buttons down at once to booy the rescue menu then you can update system menu with a game like new super mario bros or super mario galexy as long as the games updates is higher then your current filmwhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2011 04:59PM by azaciek.
August 01, 2011 05:51PM
azaciek, please stop bumping old topics to post about savemiifrii.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login