Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Semi brick just became a full one

Posted by Vorpal 
My Semi brick just became a full one
August 01, 2010 01:42AM
Well, after carefully following a guide on how to use anyregion changer to install system menu 4.1, I was really ticked off when I rebooted to an opera error with glitchy text. I have bootmii installed as boot2 so I can still access the homebrew channel, and I can use Gecko OS to boot discs. The wii remote still syncs. Do I have any options besides savemii? I just had to replace my wii's dvd drive after it fell off a shelf, so I'm not in the mood to order something else.
Re: My Semi brick just became a full one
August 01, 2010 01:49AM
Use DOP-Mii to install IOS 60 and system menu 4.1. Be sure to install the correct system menu for your region. If that doesn't fix it, install cIOS 249 and then run System Setting Replace Mod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2010 01:50AM by jbc007.
August 01, 2010 02:33AM
I have a feeling the Dop-Mii installation shouldn't be taking this long. I haven't seen any progress and it's been about a full hour. Should I reset it? Or will that risk further corruption? All right, trying the cIOS method now.

EDIT: All right, just tried both methods, and neither of them worked. The opera error is gone, but now it's just a black screen. Help?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2010 03:37AM by Vorpal.
August 01, 2010 05:45AM
Some details of what happened when you ran DOP-Mii would be nice. In particular, did anything install correctly? Also, did you power it off while it was installing something, and if so, what?
August 01, 2010 06:28AM
I ran Dop-Mii first, and once it got to "Are you read to install System Menu 4.1?" it started installing, but it just stayed there for an hour and a half. I held down the power button for 4 seconds to turn it off since there was no other option. I then installed cIOS and ran the System Settings Replace Mod. It reported that it was successful, so I rebooted. The opera error is gone, but it's just a black screen now. I tried Dop-Mii again to install 4.1 and it completed it's installation, but I still get the black screen when the Wii boots up. I'm at a loss for what to do now.
August 01, 2010 05:11PM
Did you install IOS 60? Also, what does Bootmii report for the system menu version?
August 01, 2010 09:22PM
I installed IOS60 when I ran Dop-Mii. Bootmii reports "SysMenu : 4.1U boot1b boot2v2". Also says 58.9% NAND FS usage if it matters.
August 01, 2010 11:12PM
It seems that System Setting Replace Mod did not work. Download and extract this. Put the NTSC-U setting.txt on the root of your SD card, and run GC settings fix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2010 11:13PM by jbc007.
August 02, 2010 12:26AM
I'm getting a bit confused here. The readme text states to use the GC Wadmanager to reinstall the menu before using GC settings Fix. When I tried using it and selected to retrieve files from SD card it says no files were found, so then I tried what you said and ran the GC Settings Fix. It went as follows :
"setting.txt not found! Backup setting.txt with SD card? (yes)".

I found it odd since I had the setting.txt file that came with it on the root of my SD card the whole time, and now I feel like I just backed up my corrupted Wii settings. I'm still stuck with this black screen.

Scratch that part about being stuck with a black screen. I just turned the Wii on by ejecting my Brawl disc (without my Bootmii SD card inserted) and I saw the health + safety warning frozen on the screen. Turned the Wii off and back on and met with a black screen again.

This is similar to a problem I had a year ago when the Wii would either freeze at the warning or give a black screen. After several months of being unplugged I tried turning it on again and made it to the system menu with a message from the Wii saying something around the lines of "Message data was corrupted and has been repaired." I don't know how it worked back then, but now I'm really confused.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2010 12:39AM by Vorpal.
August 02, 2010 05:34AM
Well, the fact that the health screen appeared means that your setting.txt if now fine. Your message data is most likely corrupted, which is causing the issue. I can't remember the fix for that at the moment, so hopefully someone else can help. Otherwise I'll get back to you sometime later.
September 23, 2010 12:46AM
Boot your wii
When you see the "Press A" screen hold down the - and + keys and the press A (keep holding them down).
You are in "Maintenance Mode" Feel free to use comex's NAND formatter or just plain format the wii.
September 23, 2010 01:51AM
Don't revive old dead post.
September 23, 2010 04:02AM
Wow, thanks for reminding me that I screwed up. < /sarcasm>

I never found the application to fix this, but a formatting through the settings works fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login