Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DevkitPPC setup (Linux) Please, Help!

Posted by Wiiman90 
DevkitPPC setup (Linux) Please, Help!
March 01, 2009 03:23AM
Hello! My name its Joey, but here I am "Wiiman90" and I suddenly join this forum because I look for good sources in Wiibrew and also because I need help regarding in setting up "devkitPro>devkitPPC".

I am currently a Computer Science student and I'm barely starting on this "Programming" career, I decide that if I have a Wii, I'm studying to be a programmer, Why I don't start too developing in a "Wii Development Project" which is the DevkitPro.

So I decide to use Linux, (Xubuntu 8.10) and I try to understand this steps here in the Wiibrew Website and I don't get it well.DevkitPPC setup (Linux)

the folder wiiload should only contain the executable "wiiload" that you found in the homebrew channel

* Edit ~/.bashrc and add 

export DEVKITPRO=/path/to/devkitpro # replace this by your actual path
export DEVKITPPC=$DEVKITPRO/devkitPPC
PATH=$PATH:$DEVKITPPC/bin
PATH=$PATH:$DEVKITPRO/wiiload/lin32

Here, I know that I have to open "Terminal" and type in the directory of ./bashrc and open it with gedit using:

sudo cd /home/Joey/

and to edit bashrc I type:
sudo gedit ./bashrc

or using Konqueror with root privileges.

My doubt is if I want to add the devkitPPC in home how I do that in the ./bashrc ?

I don't quite get the sintasxis of the " * Edit ~/.bashrc and add ".

Can anyone help me set my Wii Development Ebviroment in Linux?

Thanks
Wiiman90
Re: DevkitPPC setup (Linux) Please, Help!
March 01, 2009 03:28AM
linux is kinda fun to fiddle with but using root will give you abilities you normally dont have. log on as "root" and see if that helps.
March 01, 2009 03:38AM
Hey man, the problem is not the "root" privileges, once I use sudo in Terminal or Konqueror with root privileges I can modified any file I want, including the ./bashrc.

Lets see that editing the ./bashrc for adding the devkitPRO/devkitPPC as an enviroment/PATH its the same if I just use "Knonqueror" with root privileges and move the file to the path? No I don't think this work as that...

My doubt here is how to set the devkitPPC in my home directory as Development Environment in Linux.

I repeat again, can anyone help me set it up?

Thanks
Wiiman90
March 01, 2009 03:44AM
well i dont use Xubuntu, so i cant really help because every distro does something different, thats why i said try that, i have a slackware/redhat based linux and i have it mainly for pc repair.
March 01, 2009 04:08AM
Ok, Remember that even if its another Linux Distros, what change mostly its the "GUI" and not the OS itself" All Linux-Based Operative-Systems have Linux-Kernel, which its exactly the same. And again, the problem is not "root" I can be root easily, my problem its how do I set up the devkitPPC as an Wii Development Environment in Linux.

And do have Windows Xp too in another Partidition, which I use for Programming too(VC++) and to play Video Games.
Linux one I want it for Development and HW.

Thanks, for the try man

Again, anyone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2009 04:09AM by Wiiman90.
March 01, 2009 04:34PM
Hi Wiiman (incidentally, why pick that as a screenname on a Wii Dev forum?)

What you want to do is set the global environment variables for your bash shell. I use Ubuntu with Gnome, but I imagine the basic premise for doing so is the same in KDE.

The file you want to change is not ./bashrc. It is ~/.bashrc. ~/ is the root folder of your mounted linux filesystem, and .bashrc is the name of the system file containing a series of instructions executed when you load up any non-booting shells.

This file should define the path of the directories for your Devkit as Export variables; in order to do that, you can pretty much copy those 4 lines from your setup tutorial. Once you've done that, you just need to unzip your binaries (or, if they've been packaged, run "make" / "make install" in the DevKitPro directory) to the directory you've specified.

Hope that helps!

- Myu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2009 04:34PM by Myu0.
March 01, 2009 05:15PM
Well I choose this name because its the name I use for Wii forums... I also use WiiMoon_n, WiiMoosh and W!!Man. For PSP forums I use PSPMAN90, PSPMANUX or PSPNUX...

Anyways, I'm glad someone that knows about Linux reply to my post :) Well this help a lot! I actually though the file I wanted was ./bashrc but was actually ~/bashrc which I don't know where it is exactly... But you told me basically to copy those 4 lines of the setup tutorial to that file and then make or unzip if there are compressed files which there are not.

* Edit ~/.bashrc and add 

export DEVKITPRO=/path/to/devkitpro # replace this by your actual path

here can you tell me what I should put in path ? If my "devkitPro/devkitPPC" its located in "/home/joey/" and I want to add it as a global development environment.

I don't get this sintaxis, please tell me
I thank you for explaining me which file was and how to add it but I don't know what I should put in path in the 4 lines...

Thanks...
March 02, 2009 01:36PM
Hi Wiiman,

If your Devkitpro folder is in your home/joey folder, then the four lines will look like this:

export DEVKITPRO=/home/joey/devkitpro

And in order for you to put those in the right place, you type into your terminal (and be sure to get this exactly right)

sudo gedit ~/.bashrc

You can paste those four lines at the very bottom of the file that opens. If the file is blank, you've opened the wrong file!

Good luck,

- Myu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login