Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

App to stop me from getting Bricked?

Posted by nights 
App to stop me from getting Bricked?
March 18, 2009 11:08PM
Basically I'm wondering if there is an app that can help in un-bricking (god forbid) my Wii. I've noticed Preloader and bootmii come up a few times, but after checking out Preloader on Wiibrew apps it says I shouldn't mess with it if I don't know what I'm doing.

I'm just finding games and Emulators and installing them correctly, so I shouldn't really get bricked?

Thanks.
Re: App to stop me from getting Bricked?
March 18, 2009 11:41PM
you can never brick with emulators, that i can guarantee. and as for the app to stop your from bricking, well, once again, bootmii.

in future postin the homebrew general forum please, thanks
March 19, 2009 12:09AM
As of now, the closest you can get is Preloader, which has quite a big risk as it is.
March 19, 2009 01:52AM
Wait for bootmii.
March 19, 2009 11:06PM
Oh right thanks guys!

Does anyone know when BootMii will be released? Is is Team Twizers working on it and how is the progress coming along.
March 19, 2009 11:13PM
nights
Oh right thanks guys!

Does anyone know when BootMii will be released? Is is Team Twizers working on it and how is the progress coming along.

check on hachmii.com , that is their blog...

no set date though
March 20, 2009 12:05AM
@nights: Nope. and i suggest not asking them(team twiizers) about it either. they like to take their time and do things right. But like DrLucky said, hackmii would be the place to check. There hasnt been any updates on it in a few weeks but it looks like its coming soon!
March 20, 2009 12:37AM
Bootmii has been done for a while. But it wont do anything without useful applications for it. So right now, twiizers is wroking on applications for Bootmii so it can do things like full brick recovery.
March 20, 2009 11:42PM
@Arikado: I thought it already would be usefull. I mean for being able to boot HBC at boot, that sounds pretty usefull. Could you elaborate on that? Im interested on how theyre thinking of using it for brick protection. I knew it was a thought, but i didnt think that anything like that would be possible with just software mods.
March 21, 2009 02:09PM
Why sure I'd love to elaborate.

The theory is that by using bootmii to boot into the homebrew channel, before the system menu or any other IOS code is loaded, we will be able to run applications to save a Wii. For example (and I dont know if this is being made, this is just my idea) we could write an app that boots your Wii into recovery mode. So if you were semi-bricked, you would insert your SD card, turn on your Wii, load the app, insert a disc, etc. Basically the savemii(frii) method without savemii(frii).

Using that basic theory, they're devising application(s) to hopefully recover from any brick. Semi, banner, and eventually full. Right now, they've finished writing the app that installs bootmii as a replacement for boot2 (and maybe the ability to install it as an IOS too, I'm not 100% sure). But it would be useless now without the applications it is going to come with.

One more elaboration (sorry if this is going out of order): Bricks generally occur because you've damaged (or removed) IOSs or the System Menu that the Wii needs to function. By booting into the homebrew channel before loading any of those things, the theory is that you should be able to use an app restore what you need thus recovering from a (full) brick.

Erm, wow I kinda rambled back and forth there. Apologies if thats not too clear. Please ask if you have anymore questions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2009 02:09PM by Arikado.
March 22, 2009 12:17AM
No its clear. I get it. But one thing. I no this is probably true but... Will these apps that run through Bootmii be non IOS dependent. Meaning they can run perfectly fine without a certain IOS
March 22, 2009 12:27AM
Yes, the apps will be IOS independant. Another interesting fact: warez launchers wont work if loaded via bootmii because they're heavily IOS dependant.
March 22, 2009 12:42AM
I'm sure they'll find a way
"warez launcher, bootmii edition"
Anonymous User
March 22, 2009 04:32PM
Arikado
Yes, the apps will be IOS independant. Another interesting fact: warez launchers wont work if loaded via bootmii because they're heavily IOS dependant.

What is a warez launcher
March 22, 2009 04:34PM
thenewguy
Arikado

What is a warez launcher

warez is pirated material. The warez launcher is what we call the illegal softmods that launch pirated games.
March 23, 2009 02:36AM
sooooooo... Backup channel and other annoying pop-up quality apps won't work? Hooray!!!! if i spell anything wrong, don't correct me, im using a new browser. anyways, if bootmii is done, why can't they release a small version with just the basic load HBC immediately and patch it later? or am i just sounding like a moron?
March 23, 2009 01:49PM
You can use Preloader now to boot straight into the HBC. It's just that you have to be on 3.2 to use it, and the HBC isn't the very first thing to load, it just loads instead on the system menu. I'm not sure why OboeNerd said Preloader is a big risk, it's great for brick protection and other features (like temporary system menu hacks; i.e. skip disc updates, move the disc channel, etc) and I've never heard of it bricking a Wii unless the user did something wrong.

Anyway, point is releasing bootmii now just to allow HBC loading would be redundant since there are already ways to do that, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2009 01:49PM by bg4m3r.
Anonymous User
March 23, 2009 08:21PM
bg4m3r
You can use Preloader now to boot straight into the HBC. It's just that you have to be on 3.2 to use it, and the HBC isn't the very first thing to load, it just loads instead on the system menu. I'm not sure why OboeNerd said Preloader is a big risk, it's great for brick protection and other features (like temporary system menu hacks; i.e. skip disc updates, move the disc channel, etc) and I've never heard of it bricking a Wii unless the user did something wrong.

Anyway, point is releasing bootmii now just to allow HBC loading would be redundant since there are already ways to do that, IMO.

Too bad it [Preloader] doesnt work on 3.4U. 3.4 really sucks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2009 08:22PM by thenewguy.
March 23, 2009 10:36PM
you can downgrade from 3.4 in order to use a myriad of wiibrew stuff
Anonymous User
March 23, 2009 11:45PM
DrLucky
you can downgrade from 3.4 in order to use a myriad of wiibrew stuff

What is the chance my wii would get bricked if i try to downgrade fw v3.4U to v3.2U?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login