Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can I update my wii to 4.2 without bricking?

Posted by bentomo 
Can I update my wii to 4.2 without bricking?
October 06, 2009 02:17PM
Hello, I'm new to homebrew, but I am familiar enough with computers to follow a guide on how to bannerbomb a wii so I did. I also have bootmii on my wii. Well here's my question.

I can't get the wii shop channel or the nintendo channel to work because it asks me for the update.

I've tried updating officially but I just brick my wii and have to use bootmii to get back.

My wii is currently 4.0u

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2009 02:18PM by bentomo.
Re: Can I update my wii to 4.2 without bricking?
October 06, 2009 02:53PM
Don't bother updating, it doesn't have any new features, and will impair some homebrew. Use the Wii Shop and IOS61 Installer to get the shop channel back.
October 07, 2009 01:08AM
So how do I install those?
October 07, 2009 06:31AM
Its an app. Run it through the HBC.
October 07, 2009 10:50PM
Ok, so where is a trusted place to download them?
October 07, 2009 11:05PM
WiiBrew.org is a pretty good place to download homebrew...

Or did you mean IOS61 and Shop Channel? If the later, you run the homebrew and it uses your Wii's WiFi to download them, you dont have to manually download them.
October 07, 2009 11:31PM
SifJar
WiiBrew.org is a pretty good place to download homebrew...
Wiibrew is a good place to download homebrew. It is THE place to download homebrew. ;)
October 09, 2009 02:23AM
Mk, so I've got the folder extracted, now is all I have to do is put the folder in the apps folder in the root of the sd and change the dol and elf names to boot.dol and elf.dol

Is that it? Then just run it on the homebrew channel?

P.S. Will this also fix the nintendo channel?
October 09, 2009 02:29AM
It needs to be named either boot.dol or boot.elf, not elf.dol.

Make sure its in the apps folder and the directory looks like this:
ROOT:/apps/the_app_you're_using/boot.dol

Is that how you have it set up? If so, then it will load in the HBC. Good luck! :)
October 09, 2009 05:23AM
It seems that my version of the homebrew channel is old. It says that I need to upgrade from 1.0.3 to 1.0.6, I asked it to update and then it says the installer can not continue because there is no known vulnerable IOS on the wii. I have no idea what this means.
October 09, 2009 06:31PM
have you got cIOScrap or a load of patched IOS? Either is unnecessary, and HackMii Installer wont install using either, as Team Twiizers dont have the time to add support for every type of IOS patch, particularly seeing as they disapprove of such things.
October 09, 2009 11:40PM
I'm not sure I understand the question, do I need something on the sd card for it to work? I would think that the homebrew channel would just update itself just through the internet.
October 10, 2009 02:06PM
Have you installed cIOScorp? If not, have you trucha-patched your IOS?

If the answer to either of these is yes, that is why the update isnt working. HackMii Installer will not use a patched IOS (including the ones installed by cIOScorp), because it does not know what exploits will work on them and how stable they are. If it tries to install using an IOS that turns out unstable, it could potentially brick your Wii.

You need nothing on your SD card to perform the update. The ONLY reason HackMii Installer is failing is because of the patched IOS. To rectify the problem, download dop-IOS MODv7. Run it, and select to run on IOS36. Then install EVERY IOS without any patches. Install IOS36 last, overwriting all other IOS first.
October 10, 2009 05:02PM
Unfortunately the guide I used for bannerbomb was taken down so I don't know what the IOS was that I installed. I'll try to install those. I still have a problem though. When I boot into the homebrew channel it asks for the update and if I say no it just goes to the background and none of my apps appear. I guess I can try another sd card. But if that doesn't work then what else could be wrong?
October 10, 2009 05:07PM
*facepalm* I completely forgot to put it into the apps folder in the root. nevermind, i'll run the update.
October 10, 2009 05:16PM
SifJar
Have you installed cIOScorp? If not, have you trucha-patched your IOS?

If the answer to either of these is yes, that is why the update isnt working. HackMii Installer will not use a patched IOS (including the ones installed by cIOScorp), because it does not know what exploits will work on them and how stable they are. If it tries to install using an IOS that turns out unstable, it could potentially brick your Wii.

You need nothing on your SD card to perform the update. The ONLY reason HackMii Installer is failing is because of the patched IOS. To rectify the problem, download dop-IOS MODv7. Run it, and select to run on IOS36. Then install EVERY IOS without any patches. Install IOS36 last, overwriting all other IOS first.

Sorry about the triple post. So what about this one [wiibrew.org] it says that version 8 is the latest. Can I use 8? Or how do I download version 7?
October 10, 2009 05:27PM
no. dop-IOS MOD, not dop-IOS.
October 11, 2009 02:37AM
SifJar is talking about Dop-IOS MOD not the original. Get it here
October 11, 2009 07:12PM
Every time I try to install an IOS it gives me a frozen screen which looks like a bunch of text but distorted. I've tried to install different IOS's 9,10,12. It all gives me the same thing. I'm wondering if this is normal. I have to unplug my wii to get it to restart.
October 12, 2009 12:07AM
Yeah there is a bug right now in the wiki (officially released) v7 of Dop-IOS MOD. There should be a fixed version here. There are 4 different ones on that page and any one of them might work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login