Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Are Backups iligal?

Posted by Chuck_ 
Are Backups iligal?
November 21, 2009 10:22PM
Hey I had one question...Are backups iligal?
Re: Are Backups iligal?
November 21, 2009 10:32PM
backups arent supported here, but they can be legal. depends where you live. in america, i think no. other countries, perhaps.
November 22, 2009 02:27AM
I believe it is legal in the U.S if you do not download it from the internet. You have to make them yourself. But can we please not go into the "Depends on where you live" discussion?
November 22, 2009 07:23AM
sure if you stop giving out bad info...

Illegal in the U.S. regardless if you download or not, or own it or not.
November 22, 2009 01:33PM
Piracy is definitely illegal.

Backups are illegal because you can't circumvent anti-copying systems, which is ridiculous.
November 22, 2009 02:13PM
I believe the backups themselves are legal, but it is illegal to obtain them in anyway which a)shares copyrighted material (i.e. downloading them) or b)circumvents copy protection (i.e. making backups yourself). In other words, it is only legally possible if the original media has no copy protection, in which case you can back it up yourself. Thats in US btw, I think in other countries laws vary.
November 22, 2009 03:45PM
mdbrim
sure if you stop giving out bad info...

Illegal in the U.S. regardless if you download or not, or own it or not.
Hey! I said I believe that is the case. Thanks for clearing that up.
November 22, 2009 05:50PM
yeah, and to be honest, i don't think all the laws we are quoting are still valid... i mean all of this was written for magnetic media that was prone to possible damage... now, games are much more stable and solid so its tough to say...

but to the OP... they are unsupported on this forum... they may or may not be illegal.
November 22, 2009 06:06PM
The legal discussion is interesting, but the most definitive answer anyone can give you is to check the law where you live and determine for yourself if they're legal for you to use. You may want to even consult a local legal professional if you have trouble understanding your laws.

Irregardless of whether or not they're illegal though, are forum strictly prohibits all discussion of them.

I'm now locking this topic. Not because you've violated our rules, but because there is no clearer, more accurate answer to your question then my first paragraph.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.