Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Installing apps on a fresh SD card?

Posted by Malajax 
Installing apps on a fresh SD card?
April 30, 2009 01:19AM
I have already installed the HBC channel with my "main" SD card with all of my apps and other stuff. I wanted to use a separate SD card for my media. I bought one, created an apps folder with the homebrew browser and mplayer ce apps inside and a bunch of videos.

When I insert the SD card into my wii and load up the HBC, nothing comes up. In every FAQ I've read said that I need the apps folder with the app folder leading to the boot.dol. I've done all that and it still doesn't work. Do I need other folders to make it work? My friend installed everything so I have a few folders and files I haven't touched on my main SD card, so maybe that's the problem.

If it matters, my "main" card is FAT32 format while my "media' card is FAT. Thanks for the help.

Edit: Surely, others have tried this. Am i missing something? My main card works perfectly fine, but for some reason my secondary refuses to work. I even formatted the card again and directly installed the apps pack on the homebrew channel download page and those did not even work. Do I have to run the twilight hack again? Every FAQ seems to be very vague on this issue.

Is "\apps\homebrew_browser\boot.dol" different from the example listed on the HBC wiki page: (e.g. apps/scummvm/) somehow?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2009 05:31AM by Malajax.
Re: Installing apps on a fresh SD card?
April 30, 2009 01:23AM
How big is your secondary SD card?
April 30, 2009 01:24AM
Just 2GB. The main one is the same size as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2009 01:32AM by Malajax.
April 30, 2009 04:40PM
Fat32 and Fat are basically the same thing except that the 32 signifies longer file names. More importantly its used for HC cards. So this shouldnt matter.

What kind of a cards are you using?
May 01, 2009 12:41AM
Try reformating it to FAT32, also do your filenames look like this?
apps/application_name/boot.dol ?
May 02, 2009 05:46AM
MiniMii
Fat32 and Fat are basically the same thing except that the 32 signifies longer file names. More importantly its used for HC cards. So this shouldnt matter.

What kind of a cards are you using?

My "main" is a 2gb Kingston and my "secondary" is a 2gb Kodak. Now I'm slightly confused if FAT32 is only used on SDHC. My "main" card was formatted on a Vista laptop, works on other Vista laptops as well as my father's XP laptop, but not on my sister's XP laptop, which is what I'm using to format my secondary card. Maybe there's something wrong with her SD card slot? Would make sense, seeing as some files would just become corrupt and unreadable for no reason. I took extra care to save and safely disconnect and some things still corrupted. I've had to reformat several times.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login