Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I've read the FAQ and I'm still getting bubbles!

Posted by Djungelurban 
I've read the FAQ and I'm still getting bubbles!
May 18, 2009 10:50PM
God dammit!!! This is so frustrating! I did that whole thing perfectly as far as I can see but every time I start up the homebrew channel nothing appears except those freaking bubbles! What the hell am I doing wrong?

Ok, so this is what I've done. First I followed the instructions on Wiibrew to the letter for using bannerbomb and HackMii. Booting worked like a charm and homebrew channel was installed followed by DVDX and bootmii. Then I switched SD cards to my main SD card. On there I had, apart from my bought games, as instructed an "apps" folder (all lower case) containing the Homebrew Browser. I had copied it directly from the downloaded zip file without modifying anything, also as instructed. Then I turned my Wii on. Launched straight into the Wii Browser, no bootmii here no. Fine, I don't care, I want the homebrew. Can't see a DVDX channel anywhere but atleast the homebrew channel is right there. So I launch it and then... Bubbles.... That's it. Nothing but bubbles. I mean, this may be my first time using it but I know what it's supposed to look like, there should be a bar that says "Homebrew Browser" but there isn't.

Following that I've tried a number of different combinations and anything I could think of really. I've noticed that I indeed can use bootmii but only if I leave the sd card I used to install it with. However, that does not make any homebrew apps appear on the homebrew channel, regardless whether I use bootmii or the wii browser... At this juncture I'm just totally out of ideas, and I'd welcome anything thanks.

And for the record, my Wii is a PAL machine bought in June last year with version 4.0E installed and yes, I HAVE removed my gamecube memory card.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2009 11:03PM by Djungelurban.
Re: I've read the FAQ and I'm still getting bubbles!
May 19, 2009 12:45AM
Okay so you want to first check to make sure the HBB is in your SD card like this: (The root of the SD card)\apps\homebrew_browser\boot.dol

If you want to use bootmii on your 2nd SD card, copy the bootmii folder in the root of the old and put it in the new.

Sorry if this is rudimentary but one must start small before building up.

EDIT: Also, DVDx is a hidden channel, you won't see it but apps that use it will know it's there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2009 12:48AM by Kage52124.
May 19, 2009 01:10AM
Hey, at this stage, rudimentary seems the way to go. It's gotta be that I'm overlooking some tiny little detail that I don't even think about so it's better to be thorough.

Either way, I did as you said. I double checked the path to the browser's boot file which was indeed ROOT:\apps\homebrew_browser\boot.dol. Copied the configured bootmii folder from the other SD card to my primary.

Currently on the SD Card is:
Some of my Wiiware and VC games in the private folder
The configured bootmii folder
Homebrew Browster boot under apps/homebrew_browser/

End result is that bootmii works but homebrew channel is still just doing its bubble thing.
May 19, 2009 01:36AM
BootMii is another thing entirely, and if you're getting the menu and stuff then you're in good shape there, so let's leave that alone.

In the current build of the Homebrew Channel 1.0.2, High capacity SD cards functionality was broken. Is it possible that your SD card is an SDHC? (I just thought of this after I started typing :-P). if it is, then I'd just use a different SD card that's 2 GBs or less, but greater than 32 MB I think...
May 19, 2009 01:39AM
Are these cards SDHC or just SD? If it is the former see this link: FS#35 - 1.0.2: SDHC card failure
May 19, 2009 01:47AM
Really? I just read on the bannerbomb page that if you had a 4.0 machine you had to use SDHC cards to use that. Therefore it didn't occur to me that I couldn't use it with the homebrew channel... So yes, SDHC cards is what I've been using. Trying with a regular 2GB SD card now then.

And it worked! Yay! Told you it was something simple I'd overlooked. Although to my defense, as far as I can see that detail wasn't spelled out anywhere really. Ohwell, hopefully SDHC compatibility will be sorted out by the next update, after all, I bought the 8GB card solely for this. Thanks a bunch!
May 19, 2009 01:56AM
PhoenixTank
Are these cards SDHC or just SD? If it is the former see this link: FS#35 - 1.0.2: SDHC card failure

Heh heh, beat ya by 3 minutes Mr. Phoenix :-D
May 19, 2009 02:00AM
The bug with 1.02 is an odd one.
...and to clarify the wiki says SD or SDHC. You aren't forced to use SDHC on 4.0, you just can't use a SDHC for the hack on anything less than system menu 4.0
Have fun =)
/me throws rocks at Kage?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2009 02:00AM by PhoenixTank.
May 19, 2009 02:26AM
PhoenixTank
/me throws rocks at Kage?

...bonk..."Oww what the Edited out!!"

Anyway cool, happy that you have it working now Mr. D, enjoy the spoils.
May 19, 2009 02:37AM
Djungelurban - Can you spell out for me exactly how you got this to work? I've been trying for days on my Wii v4.0 and can't get it to work. I downloaded the bannerbomb and hackmii but I having no luck.

I'm totally new to this. I'm having trouble knowing where to get the "wii executable" mentioned in the directions on Wiibrew. I think it means to rename the installer_beta1.elf file to boot.elf on the root of the SD card, but I cant be sure. I did that and it didn't work. My Wii just reboots after I click "Yes" to boot the boot.dol/elf file.

Use crayons if you have to!!

Thanks!!
May 19, 2009 02:46AM
What kind of system do you have? 4.0? Does your Wii's serial start with LU64? Also, look at this: [forum.wiibrew.org]
May 19, 2009 02:59AM
PhoenixTank
The bug with 1.02 is an odd one.
Indeed. SDHC support has been in libfat for quite awhile so... I'm sure they're working on it though!
May 19, 2009 03:25AM
My serial number starts with LU63. Is that a good thing?

I'll check the link now.
May 19, 2009 03:27AM
Also, My system is running v4.0
May 19, 2009 04:20AM
Well if that doesn't work then you may need a different version of BannerBomb, go to [bannerbomb.qoid.us] and pick the next best option and try that...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login