Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

help with homebrew channel after updating to newest version

Posted by timis 
help with homebrew channel after updating to newest version
May 30, 2009 09:21PM
hey, this is my first post on this site, i looked around for a similiar question but couldnt find one so here goes.

i have been running homebrew for awhile now, no problems. then this morning, i go to the homebrew channel, and it ask if i want to
update to the latest version, so i clicked yes. everything went fine, it downloaded and updated it said. i restart my wii, go to the homebrew channel again, but now when i click on it, it wont load, the screen just stays black and nothing happens.

i installed the homebrew channel on a 3.4 wii (us), then i downgraded to 3.2system menu, which i currently run. this is the first problem i encountered with homebrew, and i dont know what to do.

i tried deleting the channel, then putting it back on with bannerbomb, as i lost my twilight disc i used the first time.

the channel installs and everything it says. but when i go to use the channel, it just stays black as before. i'm at my wits end someone help

edit: what is bootmii, and should i use it? as an ios or boot2?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2009 09:24PM by timis.
Re: help with homebrew channel after updating to newest version
May 30, 2009 09:45PM
I just had that same thing happen to me. Everytime i wanted to upgrade the homebrew channel it would say fail after trying to the first time and then try it again immedietly afterwards and then it would say success, only to find that when i tried to exit the installer it would freeze after the log flush. Then I would have to hard boot the system and try to pick the homebrew channel and it would do the same thing, nothing but a black screen. I had to bannerbomb it all over again in order to reinstall the older version of the HBC again.
May 30, 2009 09:52PM
where can i get homebrew channel 1.01 from? i never had this problem with that version...i

i tried bannerbomb again with same results...i get the channel on my wii, but when i click it to use it, it just stays black. i'm super pissed right now! i want my homebrew channel back!! stupid update
May 30, 2009 10:05PM
ok, i found an old .dol file from homebrew channel beta 9..the original i think i used to get everything set up with in the first place.

i replaced the file i found with the .elf file from the bannerbomb one, and i reintalled the channel with bannerbomb with the new .dol file i found,
i was able to intsall the homebrew channel this time, and now it actually works. i can go in and see all my apps. and everyhting works like it did before...thank god...

it still asks me to update, but i declined until this gets figured out.
May 30, 2009 11:15PM
Perhaps you should all make a bug report on hackmii.
May 31, 2009 03:11AM
I looked around hackMii for something to report to, but I couldnt find anything. Maybe I didn't look in the right place, but if I do find it I plan on posting the bug report on it. I know when I tried to install the HBC 1.03 it gave me Error and said that the Stub was failed and gave me a once line of code.
May 31, 2009 03:16AM
I believe this is the place to report bugs to: [bugs.hackmii.com]

timis
edit: what is bootmii, and should i use it? as an ios or boot2?
Don't even bother installing it unless you fully understand how it works. Read here: [arikadosblog.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2009 03:17AM by Arikado.
May 31, 2009 05:45AM
where can i get one of the old .dol files? My HB, when selected, takes me to a black screen and nothing happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
May 31, 2009 04:52PM
Alright I can get the channel working most things work fine.... except the ones that i need. I need the homebrew browser and it keeps saying cannot initialize FAT subsystem. On code downloader it will load all the way launch and then go back to the HBC. On almost all apps it will crash with a warning "exception occurred (dsi)" I am using a 4.0 wii with HBC 1.0.3 installed with bannerbomb help is much appreciated.
June 01, 2009 12:25AM
flyguy
Alright I can get the channel working most things work fine.... except the ones that i need. I need the homebrew browser and it keeps saying cannot initialize FAT subsystem. On code downloader it will load all the way launch and then go back to the HBC. On almost all apps it will crash with a warning "exception occurred (dsi)" I am using a 4.0 wii with HBC 1.0.3 installed with bannerbomb help is much appreciated.

Try reformatting your SD card. FAT should do, maybe FAT32...
June 14, 2009 12:34AM
Eureka!!!!! :)
Problem: HBC rarely loads apps or apps always crash with my 4GB SDHC on 4.0 wii with HBC 1.0.3
Solution: YOU MUST DO BOTH (at least i did) A. format as FAT 16 or MS-DOS (same thing) B. install cIOS rev 13 which significantly updates SDHC drivers
hope this helps anyone who has these problems :)
June 15, 2009 12:48AM
removed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2009 04:45PM by flyguy.
June 15, 2009 06:22AM
flyguy
ok i am waiting for approval on what i said that fixed my problem sooooo it will be here when it gets here :)
What you said is unsupported here...
June 15, 2009 07:56AM
flyguy
Eureka!!!!! :)
Problem: HBC rarely loads apps or apps always crash with my 4GB SDHC on 4.0 wii with HBC 1.0.3
Solution: YOU MUST DO BOTH (at least i did) A. format as FAT 16 or MS-DOS (same thing) B. install cIOS rev 13 which significantly updates SDHC drivers
hope this helps anyone who has these problems :)

Approving just for the sake of explaining the problem:

* For a variety of reasons, we don't support cIOS here. I don't feel the need to beat on that drum any more than I already have, but let's just say that *any* solution that involves " and then you install " is inappropriate and unnecessary.
* This shouldn't even help. cIOS installs itself as IOS249, which will not be used automatically by any libOGC programs. If it worked for you after you did this, then either it was a coincidence or it means there's something seriously flawed with my understanding of the situation. If the latter is true, it'd be far better for us to work that out than for people to starting installing random software that they don't understand or need.
June 15, 2009 04:58PM
bushing
Approving just for the sake of explaining the problem:

* For a variety of reasons, we don't support cIOS here. I don't feel the need to beat on that drum any more than I already have, but let's just say that *any* solution that involves " and then you install " is inappropriate and unnecessary

Alright fair enough i was just stating what worked for me I didnt know that cIOS was unsupported here and am sorry for talking about it where it is unsupported

bushing
* This shouldn't even help. cIOS installs itself as IOS249, which will not be used automatically by any libOGC programs. If it worked for you after you did this, then either it was a coincidence or it means there's something seriously flawed with my understanding of the situation. If the latter is true, it'd be far better for us to work that out than for people to starting installing random software that they don't understand or need.

I am well aware of the possibility that it was a coincidence and completely understand the last sentence of what you said

Lastly, when i said that i was waiting approval in no way did i mean to offend anyone i am deeply sorry for what happened due to my post

Edit: if you think it will make things better remove the post that stated my solution

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2009 05:00PM by flyguy.
June 15, 2009 06:45PM
I dont think the original issue was ever properly resolved (i.e. latest HBC not running properly). There is an easy fix for this. Simply use WiiSCU to install IOS 60, which for some reason the latest HBC sometimes installs on, despite it not being present, and therefore won't work, but if you run WiiSCU with bannerbomb or twilight princess and install IOS 60, the channel will boot fine. But I think you got around it by downgrading HBC to a lower version. However, if you wish to get the latest, if even to stop it nagging you to update, run WiiSCU from your current HBC, and install IOS 60, then accept the update and all should work fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login