Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Updating my wii?

Posted by songwar 
Updating my wii?
June 08, 2009 04:51AM
Hey all!

I've been out of the scene for a while now and I just got back into it and to my surprise there have been huge advancements from the last time I checked.

Basically, my wii has firmware 3.2U on it and I'm not sure if I should upgrade to 4.0. I want to install the homebrew channel. I know this can be achieved on both version of the firmware but I dunno if I get other benefits or loose any by installing the new firmware. My wii is also hard modded with the first version of the wiikey. The last update for that was the SSBB update.

Does the 4.0 work with the wiikey? If I don't install the new firmware will I be able to play newer games?
After doing some research on the net I'm getting mixed reviews on weather to update or not.

So far what I know is that you loose the ability to run trucha signed images and with the firmware you don't get the new channels. I'm pretty sure my wiikey isn't affected either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2009 05:40PM by Arikado.
Re: Updating my wii?
June 08, 2009 08:50AM
Basically stick with 3.2, get WiiSCU to update your Shop Channel if needed. It's my understanding that Wiikey wouldn't affect your upgrade if you chose to do so. If you can't run a certain game on 3.2 (e.g. Mario Part 8), just use GeckoOS to load it and it'll take good care of you.
June 08, 2009 02:59PM
Ok thanks! I won't upgrade my wii!

What does GeckoOS do exactly?
June 08, 2009 05:21PM
Gecko os is an app to a) Remove region restrictions and b) Use cheat codes
June 09, 2009 04:50AM
Ahh perfect! Thanks!

I have been reading some guides on the net for isntalling all this stuff. One thing I have a quesiton about is downgrading the IOS. Is this nessacery to do even with 3.2U? What exactly does this do by downgrading it?
June 09, 2009 05:47AM
You don't want to downgrade at all. You're on 3.2, the best version for homebrew straight up. I wouldn't even bother updating your IOS's either, just use GeckoOS in case it asks you to update. If you need an IOS in order to run the game, it will install it for you and nothing else.
June 09, 2009 08:31PM
Is there an up to date tutorial on how to install all this stuff on 3.2U. All the ones I find are for 4.0 and tell you to downgrade and update IOS files. I'm just a little confused on where to go from here.
June 09, 2009 09:22PM
Those guides featuring upgrading and downgrading IOSes are warez enabling guides aimed at pirates, not homebrew guides. Most homebrew is pretty straightforward, just run it form from HBC. A few are slightly trickier like StarFall(which is kinda outdated by preloader anyway), AnyTitleDeleter, AnyRegionChnager etc., but unless you know how to use them, you probably won't need them. The hardest thing you're likely to really need is WiiSCU, which allows you to use Wii Shop Channel on 3.2, and also updates other channels. But it's reasonably straightforward. Just run it from HBC like any app and select to install IOS 60, IOS 61 and to update Wii Shop Channel. You may as well choose the "+trucha" version of the two IOSes, in case you need them for some random reason in the future, although I doubt you will, but if you're on 3.2 you can, so you may as well. On higher firmwares you can't. You shouldn't really need anything more advanced than that though. BootMii is easier to install (and should be installed), as I think is preloader (which may be a good idea to install), although both are sort of more complex apps, to the end user, it's more straightforward. You should be able to find usage guides for any homebrew on the WiiBrew wiki page for that homebrew (I'd advise against getting homebrew from other sources as they can be a little dodgy, with illegal warez tools masquerading as homebrew)
June 09, 2009 10:31PM
OK thank you!
June 09, 2009 10:56PM
No problem. happy to help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login