Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

4.0U Not working - HackMe and BannerBomb

Posted by huntrm 
4.0U Not working - HackMe and BannerBomb
June 08, 2009 11:41PM
Hey guys, need advice on where to go next on this. Here's the info on the system:

- V4.0u
- LU51 serial number

Steps I've taken:

1) Have Winrar'd/extracted the latest aa1df_v108 Banner Bomb to an SD card. Only one directory labeled "private," all subdirectories exist, and one file the content.bin.

2) Extracted the HackMii Installer V0.2 to the same SD card, copied the installer.elf and put it in the root directory. Renamed to boot.elf. Deleted the HackMii directory.

3) I even checked the content.bin file to make sure the check box was 'ticked for "Archive". I tried it unchecked, checked/rechecked, and checked.

I turned on the Wii, navigated to: Data Management->Channels->SD, then put the SD card in. Am getting nothing/nadda. I tried with another SD card as well.

The cards are:
- Canon SDC-32M SD card (32MB)
- SanDisk Ultra II 1.0GB card

Only thing I can think of at this point is what format should the SD cards be in? They both were pre-formatted. I also tried some additional BannerBomb files, but according to the instructions they are only useful if you're experiencing "freezing" which I'm not.

Finally, I'm able top copy save files to these SD cards, which makes me think they are fine.....

Am at a loss on this one....

Update: Both cards apparently pass the test per this link: [wiibrew.org]

They even cite the Canon SDC-32M at the bottom. I need to maybe check in on the format, reformat, see what happens. Stay tuned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2009 11:50PM by huntrm.
Re: 4.0U Not working - HackMe and BannerBomb
June 09, 2009 12:51AM
Hmmm, are they formatted to FAT32 or FAT16? you seem to be doing everything right.
Try the instructions on the wiibrew wiki, if your not so already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2009 12:53AM by ParrotBoy.
June 09, 2009 02:44AM
Are you getting a notification to "Boot .dol/.elf?"?
June 09, 2009 04:16AM
I have two cards. Just re-formatted them to FAT32 and FAT. I put the correct files as listed above, and still nothing.

I'm not getting any notification to Boot a .elf (in my case). Am getting utter blank on the SD Card Channel screen when I insert the card. Weird....

I'm copying these files over to a networked SD device (i.e. printer with an SD slot). Could that be the problem???
June 09, 2009 04:29AM
Make sure you went to "Channels" and not "Save Data"
June 09, 2009 06:03AM
huntrm
turned on the Wii, navigated to: Data Management->Channels->SD, then put the SD card in.

Try having your SD card in before you turn your wii on, then navigate to that spot. Sorry if i misunderstood you, or if thats not what you meant. :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2009 06:03AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
June 09, 2009 06:29AM
Sounds like you don't have bannerbomb set up right...I'd try taking another swing at deleting your 'private' folder and then using winrar (or your OS) to copy it over again.

EDIT: No I don't believe you using your printer to connect your SD to your computer would have any affect on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2009 06:30AM by Kage52124.
June 09, 2009 05:59PM
You need to have SD card in BEFORE you go to Data Management>Channels>SD. You can go as far as channels, but then stick in the SD card and THEN press SD. Hope that helps
June 09, 2009 07:04PM
Thanks for the follow-up guys.

I stuck the card in prior to turning the Wii on and have always been navigating properly to Data Management->Channels->SD. Still not getting anything....

Here's why this should work:
- Trying two certified SD cards
- Reformatted them: one is FAT16, other is FAT32
- Copying right files over which are Hackmii, renaming file to boot.elf and placing in root of the SD cards. Also, Banner Bomb with private directory with content.bin
- Using WinRar to extract such files
- content.Bin has check box ticked for "archive"
- There is the root file of boot.elf and there's the directory private with all the subdirectories with the file content.bin
- Wii serial starts with LU51
- Wii is firmware 4.0u
- Can copy save files to these cards from the Wii
- Turned off Wii Connect
- Am inserting the card prior to navigating to Channels --> SD

What's not so certain in trying to do this:
- Is something going on by copying to my SD slot on my printer?
- Should I try a different version of Banner Bomb. According to Banner Bomb website:
4. Press (Wii), Data Management, Channels, SD. Then insert the card. It should either pop up Load boot.dol/elf? or freeze.
5. If it pops up a dialog, then fill out the survey.
* If you encounter any problems from then on, don't try other versions (it won't help), but see the information below the survey.
6. If it freezes before popping up the dialog, follow these diagnostics:

* Did you use the SD menu (4.0) or click Savedata instead of Channels? If so, then you're dumb
* Otherwise, try a different version. The system menu is somewhat unpredictable; while most people should be able to use aad1f, some might need another version. Try these versions

Trying a different version of Banner Bomb should NOT make a difference here as I'm not even getting any freezing or even a pop up load boot.dol/elf.......................

Issues, issues, issues............................

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2009 07:06PM by huntrm.
June 09, 2009 07:55PM
Hmm, maybe it's not extracting properly. Not really familiar with WinRAR. Try 7-Zip. Just install it, then right-click the archive and select extract to {folder name}. Then go into that folder and there should be a "private" folder. Just copy that folder to the root of your SD card. Then copy and .dol or a .elf file to the root renaming it boot.dol or boot.elf repectively. Then insert SD card to Wii and go to Data Management>Channels>SD Card.
I dunno what you mean by content.bin is checked for archive, but it implies to me you did something other than just extract bannerbomb and copy private folder. I don't think copying through printer ought to have any effect on the process.

EDIT: Thinking about it, you shouldn't need 7-Zip, just use the Windows Zip Extracter. Just right click the .zip and click extract. Then follow rest of my instructions. Hope this helps, that there's a step you missed or you did something wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2009 07:58PM by SifJar.
June 10, 2009 12:00AM
It did this to me too. Try other bannerbomb versions, and take the card out and put it back in, restart the wii.... just don't give up!
November 08, 2009 12:05AM
It is nice to know that I'm not the only one having this problem. I used the diffrent version of Bannerbomb and I still get nothing. I'm using and PNY 2gh SD card. I download the files from on my mac . then I transfer them over to my laptop where I place my sd card in. I transfer the file over to mty Sd card. I place the card in my Wii turn the system on go to data management-channels - sd card and nothing happens. My wii recognize that a SD card is inserted but thats it. I also have a wII 4.0
November 08, 2009 12:11AM
@gemseven:

Are you sure you're using the correct version of bannerbomb (v1)?

Also, do you even have any homebrew to load (hackmii installer)?
November 08, 2009 12:13AM
I am very new to this, I know for sure I'm using bannerbomb v1. What do you mean do I have any homebrew to load
November 08, 2009 12:14AM
Do you have the Hackmii Installer on your SD card (boot.elf)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2009 12:15AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
November 08, 2009 12:18AM
Yes and I also have the private folder with the content bin.
November 08, 2009 12:26AM
So, on the root of your SD card, it looks like this (I just want to make sure):

ROOT/private/wii/title/aktn/content.bin
ROOT/boot.elf

Also, make sure the switch on the side of your SD card is off....
November 08, 2009 12:58AM
Yes when you double click on my sd card it shows the private folder and the boot.elf. How do i know if my sd card switch is turn off
November 08, 2009 01:01AM
I just found the off switch on my sd card turn it off, inserted it into my wii, turn the wii on went to
data management channels sdcard and still nothings happens.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login