Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GRRLIB 4.0 Tutorial

Posted by Legend28469 
GRRLIB 4.0 Tutorial
June 21, 2009 06:51AM
Hi everyone,

Can I please have a link to the GRRLIB 4.0 tutorial if one exists. I've been looking for quite a while, and I can't find any.

Thanks.
Re: GRRLIB 4.0 Tutorial
June 21, 2009 11:40PM
I don't know about a tutorial, but they do have an IRC channel if you wanted to ask questions...#grrlib @ EFnet . Also you could try the discussion page on the wiki: [wiibrew.org]

Sorry if this isn't of much help to you...
June 23, 2009 03:38AM
Its just I would've sworn they had tutorial pages.. thx anyway..
June 24, 2009 02:15PM
Legend, are you still working on HATE?
June 24, 2009 10:28PM
Lol.. hello old friend,

Its been a while.

I've decided to postpone HATE until I learned more about wii programming, I wanted to become really good with a graphics engine before I could truly put some work into it, but in the meantime, I've made HATE in Java & gave it a different name called it Cannon.

Story behind that is the fact that the Java version of my game has static (unchangeable) pictures, and it uses guns, so I called it Cannon.

The source code is available if by any random chance anyone wanted it (Just email me at --> johnathaneb@hotmail.com).
I will continue on HATE when I learn a graphics engine for the wii,

and then I heard GRRLIB 4.0 got released and I checked out the awesome video they made, and for QUITE A WHILE I've been looking for a tutorial,

and I haven't been able to find. So yeah, I wanted to test my engine, so recoded the thing in Java, but the wii version will be soooooooo much better.

So, if one day some one digs up a GRRLIB 4.0 tutorial, or maybe something that is as good, then PLEASE let me know.

By the way. The link to what HATE is going to look like --> legend28469.angelfire.com/Cannon.html

To play: Left Click == Shoot
Right Click == Change Weapons
Move mouse off screen == Reload weapon

Headshots can be done with the pistol.. and its pretty cool..

But yeah.. i'm floating a bit off topic.. so if their are any tutorials on GRRLIB 4.0 just let me know,

Thanks in advance,

Legend28469

EDIT: On Second thought, if there it's possible to get Java running with wii homebrew, that'd be awesome, and if there's a tutorial for that, I would appreciate a link to that too. (I think that Cannon game made my Java better than my C/C++).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2009 10:38PM by Legend28469.
June 24, 2009 11:10PM
Unfortunately, I think Kage pretty much covered everything.

However, since you said you know C++, you may consider giving libwiisprite, libwiigui, or MLIB a shot instead of GRRLIB. They're both much better documented.

I didn't mean to commit you to anything with my comment BTW, I was just wondering. The Java version is very, very nice though. I enjoyed. Unfortunately, theres no way to use Java on the Wii. Unless maybe the Wiis Internet Browser can handle your game?

And yeah, it has been too long. I'm overjoyed to see your return.

I myself haven't been up to much lately. I've updated both my apps and coded a developers library, but it was all shortly after you left. I've been wrapped up in programming some very complex games (for showing off to colleges) for Windows for awhile now. My activity on this forum is starting to inevitably dwindle because of it. (That sounds really gloomy for some reason :P)

Again, I'm truly glad I bumped into you again Legend.
June 24, 2009 11:38PM
Oh, don't worry about the commitment part, I really want to release HATE for the wii. I've read up on libwiigui a few days ago, it look's pretty cool, and the capabilities are kinda close to GRRLIB. I guess I'll be using that.

It's been a while since I've done any actual windows programming, I should get back to that. I'm pretty good with SDL & learning OpenGL but I heard the SDL for wii isn't really so tight.

The wii's internet browser can't handle my game, I've tried already =(, and I don't know flash.

I really wanna check out your developers library, I guess it may be able to help me out, if you coded it for the wii.
Can you send me some of those games your making (if you don't mind)? I'm always interested in non-commercial games (johnathaneb@hotmail.com). I guess college would come first before a forum, so your doing the right thing =D.

Since I've left, I've been working on linux programs so I can learn how to code in a more multi-platform way of programming. I figured when I goto college, unix is probably really important, so that's what I've been doing a lot of, but yeah,

Like you said, it's really great to talk to you again. Now I'm going to get to learning libwiigui or maybe libwiisprite. =D
June 25, 2009 02:14PM
My dev library is here: [www.wiibrew.org] It's currently only compatible with programs that use libwiisprite or GRRLIB, but I'd like to do a port to libwiigui or MLIB sometime this summer.

As far as Windows goes, I'm developing everything with the ALLEGRO library (4.2 - the 4.9.X series blows). It's platform independent, so that means my code will run on Windows if compiled on Windows, Mac if compiled on Mac, Linux if compiled on Linux, etc. However, since I'm using Windows to build it, Linux people also have WINE to run my executables if they can't compile a Linux version.

I just opened up me e-mail for the first time in a couple weeks and I have 83 unread messages :-O Once get through those, I'll send you an e-mail with links to uploads of the latest builds (and source). So that'll be in like a day or two. That also gives me time to add animation (sprite sheet) support to my Sprite class.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2009 02:14PM by Arikado.
June 25, 2009 04:32PM
I checked out your library, seems pretty cool, I will definitely be including it in my program. I used to use Allegro, back in my windows game development days, but I figured I'd learn the most by creating my own game engine (Which isn't easy at all). Then I figured OpenGL was a popular graphics engine, but too complicated, so then I took on SDL, and it's actually quite nice too. I used to do a bit of XNA (C#), and I loved it, but yeah, it was strictly for windows (and the Xbox 360). Good luck with your email, and you take your time on that build, if 2 - 3 days is good for you, then that'd be great. I'd like to help you make a port (for your lib), but I've never made a library before, so I don't know what thats like, but yeah, good luck to you =D.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2009 04:33PM by Legend28469.
June 25, 2009 08:39PM
Well, I'm having a small code design problem with the animation functionality of my sprite class right now: [forum.wiibrew.org] If I use a maximum allowance number (like you cant have an image with more than 5 frames) then it works fine. But I'm getting compilation errors trying to make it run the way I want it to. I'll probably just do a lot of restructuring with ugly temporary variables to make it work if it ends up I'm not overlooking a simple solution.

Porting the library isn't hard, you just replace the libwiisprite/GRRLIB dependant code with code dependant on the library you wish to port it to. For example, GameWindow (libwiisprite) replaced with GUIWindow (or something like that) (libwiigui). The hardest part is just figuring out how the designated library (to port to) works. If you'd like to have a go at it, feel free to go right ahead :)

Also, I forgot to mention that I have a website here now: [arikadosblog.blogspot.com]

So yeah, I'll email you my pc stuff when I fix that design problem. Thanks for giving me a day or two to solve it :)
June 25, 2009 09:40PM
I commented on your thread, hope it helps.

I don't think I can take a shot at library porting just yet, and I checked out your site. LOTS OF CONTENT (nice).

Thanks in advance for the PC Stuff,

you take it easy bud =D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login