Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Total Noob question about Homebrew channel

Posted by darthrader 
Total Noob question about Homebrew channel
June 29, 2009 01:25AM
I am only interested in installing the Homebrew Channel to make a backup of my animal crosing city folk game, using the savegame extractor

I created the SD card with the Homebrew files on it but I have not loaded it yet.

here is the noob question,

there are 3 options when you push in the SD card.

Install Homebrew
Install BootMii
Install DVDX

I do not want to install BootMII or DVDX. Can I just install the Homebrew channel from this screen? If yes, this will then allow me to run the savegame extractor?

In other words can I just install Homebrew or do I also need BootMii.
Re: Total Noob question about Homebrew channel
June 29, 2009 02:01AM
No, you do not need to install bootmii of DVDX, but there's no reason why you shouldn't. There are a lot of benefits you can get by using bootmii and dvdx.
But, if all you really want to do is backup your save, its OK to only install the homebrew channel.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2009 02:01AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
June 29, 2009 02:19AM
1) In your opinion how safe is this?

2) I have done a little more reading about bricked systems. Does BootMi help recover a bricked system?
June 29, 2009 02:24AM
darthrader
1) In your opinion how safe is this?

2) I have done a little more reading about bricked systems. Does BootMi help recover a bricked system?

Since installing BootMii and keeping regular nand backups on file, I've been much more free to play around with different homebrew apps and abilities without worrying about bricking my wii. I have semi-bricked it twice by installing the wrong things, but I was easily able to restore my backups from sd. It ends up working a lot like microsoft windows system restore function, it sets everything back to how it used to be.
June 29, 2009 02:28AM
Thanks for the feedback,

If I understand this BootMii is used then, to make a complete backup of the flash memory on the wii. Is this used in cooperation with another utility or by itself.
June 29, 2009 02:37AM
Its used by itself.
June 29, 2009 03:06AM
If you have a proper backup on the SD card, can you recover from a totally bricked system using BootMii. Sounds like a good idea!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2009 03:07AM by darthrader.
June 29, 2009 03:17AM
Yes, if you have bootmii installed as boot2. You can only install as boot2 if you have an older wii system. When did you purchase your wii?
June 29, 2009 03:27AM
We bought this in january 2009, it is fairly new.
June 29, 2009 03:29AM
Well, then, you won't be completely brick safe. You can still try to install it as boot2, though.
June 29, 2009 03:49AM
I just checked I have version 4.0. What options do I have? I saw I can only install files as IOS. on another post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2009 03:50AM by darthrader.
June 29, 2009 03:53AM
Yeah, that means you're not completely brick safe. I guess you'll just have to install it as an IOS. If you do install it, to access it, I believe you go to the homebrew channel, and then press the "home" button on your wiimote. Launching bootmii should come up as an option.

And just so you know, DVDX makes it so you can play DVDs on you wii. :P
June 29, 2009 04:17AM
WaxyPumpkin72
And just so you know, DVDX makes it so you can play DVDs on you wii. :P

To clarify this, it allows software to access discs in the Wii's drive that aren't Wii or GameCube discs.
June 29, 2009 05:34AM
If your game is bricked you will never get the chance to access the Homebrew channel. Unless it is only partially bricked, correct?
June 29, 2009 05:38AM
What do you mean by "if your game is bricked"? Do you mean "If your WII is bricked?

Also, a semi-brick doesn't necessarily mean you can access the homebrew channel (AFAIK).
June 29, 2009 05:49AM
Sorry, yes by game, I meant Wii.

Thanks for the feedback.
June 29, 2009 05:23PM
darthrader
I just checked I have version 4.0. What options do I have? I saw I can only install files as IOS. on another post.

A forum post? A forum post can't tell you you can't install bootmii as boot2. The only thing that can is the hackmii installer. although i believe Wii's with the serial beginning LU64 usually cant but i dont think that set in stone. and being on version 4.0 doesn't stop you being able to install it as boot2. run the hackmii installer to check. it'll tell you what you can install as.
June 29, 2009 08:59PM
How easy is it to get my out-of-the-box wii 4.0e to access video files on toshiba 1tb ext drive? Also is there a free internet browser that will save the £7.00 Nintendo want? Many thanks, Dav
June 29, 2009 09:03PM
bredav
How easy is it to get my out-of-the-box wii 4.0e to access video files on toshiba 1tb ext drive?

I think you'd be looking for DVDX and MPlayer CE.

bredav
Also is there a free internet browser that will save the £7.00 Nintendo want?

There are multiple web browsers in development, but none of them are complete yet. There will be eventually, so be patient! :D
July 01, 2009 02:58PM
Many thanks WaxyPumpkin72,

I'll give it a go, though it's my wife's wii and i'm a bit worried about bricking it. I read something about doing a back-up of flash memory for possible system restore if all goes tits up. Is there an app for this or how's it done?

Also be grateful for your insight into stuff I've half understood about wii 4.0e not allowing usb 2.0 communication. Perhaps I can still watch films at usb 1.0 speeds?

Thanks again,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login