Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Total Noob question about Homebrew channel

Posted by darthrader 
Re: Total Noob question about Homebrew channel
July 01, 2009 07:44PM
bredav
I'll give it a go, though it's my wife's wii and i'm a bit worried about bricking it. I read something about doing a back-up of flash memory for possible system restore if all goes tits up. Is there an app for this or how's it done?

Bootmii. Its bundled in with the hackmii installer.

bredav
Also be grateful for your insight into stuff I've half understood about wii 4.0e not allowing usb 2.0 communication. Perhaps I can still watch films at usb 1.0 speeds?

I'm not sure about USB speeds, buy you could go make a topic in Getting Started and see the results you get from there. :)
July 01, 2009 07:52PM
I believe USB may not work at all. The reason USB 2.0 is said to not work, is that for USB 2.0, you must install cIOS, which requires trucha bug, an exploit only existing in firmwares <4.0. the best firmware for it is 3.2, but I believe it can be exploited in basically any firmware other than 4.0. So that's why USB 2.0 won't work. But I'm not sure if USB 1.0 works without the cIOS, or if it even works with the cIOS. I've never really heard it mentioned in regards to Wii homebrew. But I don't think all homebrew requires that cIOS for USB 2.0, I think it's only MPlayer CE, for example, the latest HBC will work with USB if there is no SD Card inserted, and I don't think you need USB 2.0 cIOS.
July 01, 2009 10:15PM
USB 1.0 doesn't require a cIOS because it is already implemented in IOSes.

As far as I know, the only way to allow USB 2.0 speeds is to install the cIOS, regardless of what app is trying to use it. But most other homebrew doesn't require USB 2.0 speeds, and you can still use your USB 2.0 device at USB 1.0 speeds. The reason MPlayer CE uses USB 2.0 is because watching movies off of a hard drive requires faster data transfer, and watching them at USB 1.0 speeds can cause lagging.
July 01, 2009 11:06PM
Yeah, that's right, just did a bit more reading on the subject. Without cIOS, it's usb 1.1, which is fine for most things, but you need the cIOS for MPlayer CE.
July 11, 2009 12:26AM
SifJar

Did you try to load HackMii yet?
July 11, 2009 12:31AM
Why would I try to load HackMii? I have run it before to update HBC, but I already have DVDx, and because the Wii is shared with my brother, I havent persuaded him to install BootMii yet (took a LONG time to persuade him to install HBC in the first place). Why do you think I would be running HackMii?
July 11, 2009 01:47AM
A new version of MPlayer CE is out. Now you only need the cIOS.
July 11, 2009 04:38PM
Yes, but still installing DVDx with HackMii installer is all that is required for just DVDs. If you want DVDs and USB2.0, just install the USB2.0 cIOS. However, if you need DVDx for other apps, you still need to install it seperately. However, you no longer need to install it on the cIOS as before.
July 12, 2009 10:21PM
How do you get DVDX up? I've installed it with HackMii but can't seem to get DVDs to play. Many thanks
July 13, 2009 04:29AM
You launch your DVDs by launching them through MPlayer CE.
July 13, 2009 09:58PM
Thanks again WaxyPumpkin72,

Before I install MPlayer CE (which I have some uncertainity about suitability given the conversation above about USB2.0 for system 4.0), I would like to protect against bricking. As I have a Wii with 4.0e, I can't install BootMii as Boot2 and have to install it as ISO. As BootMii can then only be launched via the Home Brew Channel it doesn't help if my Wii does get bricked. So please can some one tell me what protection do I have from bricking?

A great many thanks,
July 13, 2009 10:04PM
For 4.0, I don't think you have any brick protection, but you shouldn't be worried about bricking your wii by using MPlayer CE. Just go ahead and use it.

P.S.
bredav
and have to install it as ISO

I believe you mean IOS. ;)
ISO's and IOS's are two completely different things, just try to remember that. :)
July 13, 2009 10:27PM
bredav
As I have a Wii with 4.0e, I can't install BootMii as Boot2

System Menu 4.0 does not rule out BootMii as boot2. Your version of boot1 is the only thing that matters.
Did you try to install BootMii as boot2?
July 14, 2009 01:56PM
Thanks for the reassurance about MPlay CE. Just going to try it. NExt step will it work with my external hard drive videos. I'll let you know.

Thanks daniel_c_w. HackWii had BootWii in red and said needed to go in as IOS. Thanks all.
July 15, 2009 03:07AM
I am still researching wiibrew cause i have a unlimited warranty for 2yrs.

WaxyPumpkin72
Well, then, you won't be completely brick safe. You can still try to install it as boot2, though.

Can you please clarify what system update won't be completely brick safe. i have 3.4e

Are all games eg. Mario Kart, function 100% online ( i read that 1 person couldn't search for friends on WFC)

thanx
July 15, 2009 03:22AM
All updates are completely brick safe. But you have more protection from bricking your console if you have BootMii installed as boot2 rather than IOS254. You can only brick your Wii by using dangerous homebrew applictions, not by updating.

You won't be banned from Wi-Fi unless you cheat online.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2009 08:26PM by MattMan.
July 15, 2009 03:51AM
MattMan
You can only brick your Wii by using dangerous homebrew applictions, not by updating.

Or by updating from a foreign disc game.
July 21, 2009 02:55AM
This thread took on a life of its own.

Just wanted to give an update.

HBC installed on system 4.0, piece of cake. Thanks everyone. BootMii will only install as an IOS. I dont really see the point of putting it on since I can only make a backup and not restore (NAND) using this method. Maybe they will figure something out for this one.

Thanks again,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login