Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Almost newb need to know about going from 3.2e to latest

Posted by mrgreaper 
Almost newb need to know about going from 3.2e to latest
July 10, 2009 07:18PM
ok here it is in a nut shell,
a long long time ago in a distent...wait no it was in my front room but still a while ago, i used the twilight hack to install the homebrew channel later i updated to 3.2e (i have a uk wii) then it sat gathering dust on my shelf. i am now wanting to play it again but before i go out and buy any games i know i need to update the thing to 4.0 (4.0e?) and would very much like to know how to do that with out losing the homebrew channel ? can i just connect the wifi and click update?

i have read about banner bomb so if i do lose it i know theres a "chance" to reinstall it (the fact it doesnt work on every wii puts me off a bit).

so please treat me as a newb for i have not modded or touched my wii for nah on a year (maybe a bit less)

thank you in advance
Re: Almost newb need to know about going from 3.2e to latest
July 10, 2009 07:40PM
The consensus around here is if you are on 3.2 and want to use homebrew, it would be best to stay at 3.2. You can get around required updates with several apps out there, like GeckoOS for example.
July 10, 2009 07:41PM
If the only reason you want to update is to play new games, then you don't need to update. There's an app called Gecko OS that you can launch your game through, and it will skip the disc update. I highly recommend you don't update, because you have more benefits for the homebrew channel if you stay on 3.2. If you want to, though, you don't need to worry about the HBC being deleted if you update.

FYI, the only thing thats good about 4.0 is SDHC support and an SD card menu. Stay on 3.2. Its better.

Hope that helps answer your questions. :D

Edit: And if you're worried about losing your shop channel by staying on 3.2, there's another app available called WiiSCU. You can update to the latest shop channel without actually updating the firmware. Its pretty nifty.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2009 07:42PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
July 10, 2009 07:44PM
Kage52124
The consensus around here is if you are on 3.2 and want to use homebrew, it would be best to stay at 3.2. You can get around required updates with several apps out there, like GeckoOS for example.

You posted your message while I was typing mine. Again. You have a gift. :P
July 11, 2009 01:36AM
i did reply but it apears to have vanished lol

again thankyou for your replys they are much apreciated, im going to stick with my little 1 gig card and 3.2e and will look at the apps you guys mention (im sure mine are out of date a bit lol)
if anyone knows a good cheap source of sd cards bigger then 1 meg that work on 3.2e please let me know
July 12, 2009 04:33AM
Lots of homebrew apps work on SDHC cards regardless of whether or not the System Menu can. You could use an SDHC for a majority of your homebrew, and a standard SD for everything else.
July 21, 2009 01:35PM
Just a quick add-on to this...

I am in roughly the same boat, but I'm at 3.3U and wish to update my WiiShop channel. I have run WiiSCU and updated ONLY the WiiShop channel (not any of the IOS updates - I had the option to update to 16, 38, 60, and 61) and my Wii would restart whenever attempting to open the WiiShop channel.

I didn't know what to do at that point, so I just loaded my NAND backup from Bootmii and all was well.

I'm assuming I need one/more of these IOS updates to also get it to work...

Can someone explain my options (i.e., +trucha, -trucha, etc?)

Thanks!
July 21, 2009 02:37PM
You need to install IOS 60 and 61. It doesn't really matter whether you do +trucha or -trucha, but I'd say go for +trucha, and if that doesnt work, go for -trucha. +trucha wont work if you're on 3.3v2, in which case you may as well just update to 4.1, you'll lose nothing, but if +trucha does work, you're on 3.3v1 and should either stay there or use AnyRegion Changer to downgrade to 3.2. But if you just want shop channel, use wiiscu to install IOS 60 and 61 and update the Shop Channel. Then it will work.
July 21, 2009 06:27PM
Excellent - thank you so much for explaining it out for me... That's exactly what I was looking for!
July 21, 2009 06:43PM
no problem. happy to help :)
July 22, 2009 01:50PM
An update -

Tried the +trucha versions to no avail... looks like I am 3.3v2. Tried the -trucha version and everything worked like a charm.

You guys really know your stuff - thanks again.
July 22, 2009 03:30PM
no problem glad to help
July 22, 2009 03:34PM
flyguy
no problem glad to help

ummm, I told him what he needed to know...not you.
July 22, 2009 03:55PM
lol sorry wrong topic to say no problem on
my bad
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login