Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Preloader caused Homebrew blackscreen

Posted by nomad777 
Preloader caused Homebrew blackscreen
July 11, 2009 11:23PM
I am new to homebrew and to using fourms, so I hope this is the right place to post this message. I have a Wii 4.0u which I installed the homebrew channel on using the bannerbomb exploit. Everything went so well I decided to install a preloader to protect the system from bricking. In this attempt, I did just that. The preloader exited with an error. After this clicking on the homebrew channel gives me a black screen and the shopping channer just sits on the opening screen like it is trying to find a connection. I tried to follow the instructions by Arikado to fix the problem, but cannot completely install IOS60. I used the listed method to install IOS61 without a problem. IOS60 downloads and installs up to part 7 and then says it can't get the information form the Http: address. Nothing would install using the +Trucha setting. At this point I am completely lost. I would appreciate any help that could get my homebrew channel working again before the wife and grandkids hang me in the back yard. Thanks in advance.....
Re: Preloader caused Homebrew blackscreen
July 11, 2009 11:31PM
Try launching the hackmii installer and uninstalling the homebrew channel, and then reinstalling it. Do you still get a black screen?
July 12, 2009 12:14AM
Install IOS60 -Trucha and uninstall the Homebrew Channel with the HackMii Installer. Then, reinstall the Homebrew Channel and see if it works.

I think the error you are getting when you try to use WiiSCU is from your Wi-Fi connection being lost. This would also explain why the Shop Channel won't load. Just keep trying to install IOS60 until it succeeds.
July 12, 2009 03:56AM
I tried to load the hackmii installer by putting it in the root of the sd card. On the same card I have the bannerbomb priviate folder. The first and third try it said it could not load the dol/elf file. On the second try I got the following error.

Exception Occured

Frame memory 80E11A80H
-------MainInfo---------------
Context: 81114AD8H
SRRO: 81558334H SRR1: 0000A032H
DSISR: 06000000H DAR: 77AFFFC1H

--------------------------------TRACE--------------------------
ADDRESS BACKCHAIN LR SAVE
816A4888 816A48A8 3F800000
816A48A8 816A48C8 81558414
816A48C8 816A48E8 815587AC
816A48E8 816A4908 813A732C
816A4908 816A4918 813A6CBC
816A4918 816A4938 8139F9A8
816A4938 816A4948 81408CAC
816A4948 816A4958 81409774
816A4958 816A4968 814009640 I will keep trying to load IOS60 as soon as this storm passes. Thanks
July 13, 2009 12:02AM
I have made several attempts to load IOS60 without success. If anyone has any ideas as to what I should do from here, I would greatly appreciate the advice.
July 13, 2009 01:11AM
Since you are on 4.0, and you can't install IOS 60, you already have it.
And your problem is propably not related to that IOS.
July 13, 2009 04:59AM
Use dop ios on wiibrew.org to reinstall any ios needed. It reportedly works better on 4.0. Also make sure power doesn't go out during install though and everything should go fine
July 13, 2009 11:06AM
I have downloaded dop-ios. I am not quite sure what to do with it. Which Ios do I need to install. Also I found this on the wiki page for dop-ios. "If you are using Preloader and you 'dop' IOS60, remember to reinstall Preloader after 'doping' otherwise you will brick" The preloader never installed, it just exited with an error leaving a black screen when the homebrew channel is selected. Since it was a preloader that damaged one of my ios's to begin with, should this be of concern? Both the homebrew and the shopping channel stopped functioning when I attempted to load the preloader. Its really strange, it will run Zelda and the other games from disc without a problem but not Wii sports. I was trying to load ios60 on the advice of another individual that was trying to help. I am a total noob. Trying anything to get it working again. Thanks for the help.
July 14, 2009 08:12AM
Could someone please tell me which ios's I need to reload using dop-ios to repair the damage caused by preloader. Is IOS60 the only one?
Thanks
July 14, 2009 09:35PM
Well, as far as I know, Preloader only modifies IOS60. But it seems that maybe you also installed some other things. Did you follow a tutorial to install Preloader? If so, please provide a link.
July 14, 2009 09:47PM
Should just be IOS 60. I'm pretty sure thats the one thats the problem here.
July 15, 2009 12:13AM
Thanks for the response. This is the guide I originally used to install the homebrew channel. Warez Removed. For some reason it isn't loading right now but essentially this is what I have done. Virgin 4.0u. Serial starts with LU36. Used bannerbomb to install the homebrew channel. Used aad1fv108. Warez and fail removed. Everything was working fine. I wanted to protect the wii from changes so I attempted to install a preloader. I was advised to install steps 4a and 4b from this guide. More Warez Removed. This was the result. It started and gave the warrning message and froze for a long time. I pressed 1 and it said something about not being able to find the root and that ios38 already being modded. It then returned me to the homebrew sd card menu. I turned the system off and then rebooted holding the reset button. This had no effect. The wii booted normaly but when I click on the homebrew channel it goes to a black screen and freezes. The shopping channel also freezes on the opening screen like it can't find a connection. I tried to install ios60 using hackmii. It gave an error in both ios 60 with and without trucha. IOS61 gave an error with trucha but installed without a problem without trucha. The errors I got seemed to reference not being able to obtain data from an HTTP address. Its like it looses connection to the network. IOS61 has no effect. I can try to install IOS60 using dop-ios but I just want to be sure that the thing to do. I don't want to make the situation worse. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2009 02:10AM by Arikado.
July 15, 2009 02:12AM
FYI, Preloader didn't eff up your HBC, the warez failure you installed effed up preloader. Unless you can uninstall preloader (try booting preloader through bannerbomb?) there's nothing you can do - sorry.
July 15, 2009 02:52AM
i have installed ios 60 multiple times (im on 4.0) with dop ios and everything worked fine. even with trucha bug nothing went wrong. so i would definitely do that before anything else
PS: what exactly are you using preloader for? because i have a better alternative for system menu hacks

and yeah warez arent supported here
July 15, 2009 07:06PM
flyguy
PS: what exactly are you using preloader for? because i have a better alternative for system menu hacks

pray tell.
July 16, 2009 01:40AM
StartPatch v4.0.4

this is much like starfall but for 4.0 very easy to use
i have used it and works like a charm
i believe you must have a trucha patched IOS 36 (just like preloader)
PS: Dop-IOS requires cIOS 249

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2009 01:42AM by flyguy.
July 16, 2009 11:46AM
startpatch just permenantly installs SOME of preloaders hacks from the hacks.ini, and still requires trucha IOS 36, so if you have that you may as well just install preloader, and get ALL the hacks, and more stuff as well. Is there anything StartPatch can do that preloader cant? If so, just install the patches with StartPatch, THEN install preloader to get ALL hacks.
July 16, 2009 04:56PM
yes but startpatch doesnt make the disc spin forever
July 17, 2009 11:24AM
The purpose of me modding my Wii in the first place was to be able to backup the games that I purchased to a hard drive so that my granddaughters wouldn't need to handle them. I own the games they play. Thanks Flyguy I will try and load ios60 again. I think I have Cios249 already installed. Sifjar I am a bit lost about the startpatch /vs preloader. I was trying to load preloader so that if an update from the nintindo system got thru it wouldn't mess up the homebrew channel. Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know what happens with ios60.
July 17, 2009 03:05PM
FYI, backups aren't supported here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login