Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Preloader caused Homebrew blackscreen

Posted by nomad777 
Re: Preloader caused Homebrew blackscreen
July 17, 2009 03:48PM
You can remove the hacks and reinstall them on startpatch so they aren't exactly permanent. So don't worry you can do whatever you want with the hacks.
PS: what region is your wii that file is for NTSC-U only
July 17, 2009 11:26PM
I loaded dop-ios. It worked well. I re-installed ios60 and ios 61. I didn't see anything about trunka but it did something called an es patch. My system has not changed. I deleted the homebrew channel through the system menu and reinstalled with hackmii. Homebrew channel still gives black screen freeze. It seems to load dol files ok but not elf. Tried to load shared2clean which was supose to clean out the temp directory used by preloader but it locks in a black screen. I think daniel_c_w is right, the problem seems to not be related to ios60. Does anyone have any ideas? Arikado I was going to try your suggestion and try to load the preloader. Can I do that without the homebrew channel being installed? Thanks for the help. I am not sure but could the proloader install failed because I am running 4.0? I am NTSC . The system is origionally a 4.0U since i purchased it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2009 11:53PM by nomad777.
July 18, 2009 01:10AM
Wiibrew wiki
Features

Download any IOS from Nintendo servers
Select between oldest version or newest version of any IOS
You can apply the signature hash check (trucha) again
You can also apply ES_Identify function patch to IOS36 (useful for AnyTitle Deleter and >3.4 users)
Protection: you cannot install stubs. You could get a brick if you install an stub IOS that your System Menu uses. If you want them, just update through Wii menu or disc.
Stores files on SD: you can reuse all your downloaded IOS with Dop-IOS or another application.
Shows your IOS versions

straight from the wiki. dop-ios page
you will need to use dop ios to enable the signature hash check (trucha) and ES_Identify function patch to IOS36 in order to use preloader or anyregion changer (and others)
perhaps this is why your preloader failed? i would reinstall the HBC and install bootmii as boot2 (if possible) and see if this doesnt fix your problem. also reinstall ios 60 and 61
with the signature hash check
Preloader will not work without a trucha enabled IOS 36

Edit: WOOT 100th post!!!! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2009 01:13AM by flyguy.
July 20, 2009 12:43AM
Any luck?
July 20, 2009 04:16AM
Flyguy I think that dop-ios shows different menus depending on the system you are running. I installed an old version of ios36. It installed without problem, however there is no selection on the menu which would let me select truncha. For ios36 it did not offer the es patch either. Here are the ios selections on the menu.ios35,IOS36,ios37,ios38(only new), ios50 only old(stub), ios51 only old (stub) ios53, IOS55,IOS60 only new(same as installed)ios61(only new) ios254 no selection for install, There is no selection for Truncha or es patch. Do I have the wrong version? When I ran bootmii before it said I could not run it as boot2 only as an ios. I am still at the homebrew channel going to a black screen. Any ideas where I should go from here? I went back and loaded the new version of ios36. This time it offered the truncha and es patches which I applied but not change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2009 04:22AM by nomad777.
July 20, 2009 04:10PM
look 2 posts down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 01:45AM by flyguy.
July 20, 2009 04:13PM
nevermind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 01:44AM by flyguy.
July 20, 2009 05:12PM
no all the menus are the same but make sure to use the latest version of Dop-IOS.
the old versions of IOS are already trucha bugged therefore you cant patch the trucha bug into them. new ones will give you the option to patch trucha into them.
First off did you uninstall preloader already? if not you must do that first.
so you have reinstalled the HBC and IOS 60&61? if not do that with the hackmii installer. (uninstall then reinstall from the hackmii installer) not the system menu.
then reinstall IOS 60&61 with trucha from Dop-IOS. if that doesnt work come back here and tell us what happened
July 20, 2009 09:47PM
Flyguy I haven't uninstalled preloader because it never fully installed. How would I go about uninstalling the remnants of what it did install? So if I figure a way to do that then I should uninstall homebrew with hackmii and then reinstall ios60 & 61 with dop-ios. Sorry to be such a pain, I really have little idea what each of the ios's do. Just don't want to do something out of order and then have no access at all to try and fix it. Thanks a lot for your time and help.
July 21, 2009 01:52AM
well you could reinstall a system menu 4.0 WAD (bit dangerous and not really supported here) with wad manager or you could go through the tedious process of downgrading and re-upgrading with anyregion changer (long and painful).
Edit: you could use NUSD to get the system menu and pack it into a wad. however you must ask someone else how (as i use macs)

To Administrators: i know wads arent supported here but i am just trying to help this guy with the problem sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 01:58AM by flyguy.
July 21, 2009 02:55AM
Just downgrade with AnyRegion Changer.

This is neither difficult nor painful, you simply scroll down and press "Go" in AnyRegion Changer. It will probably take only around ten minutes if your Wi-Fi is working. This will also get rid of whatever you installed that I was unable to see because Arikado removed it (I bet it's hacked IOSes). Then, you should be able to uninstall and reinstall the Homebrew Channel, and also install Preloader or Starfall to get everything working again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 02:57AM by MattMan.
July 21, 2009 03:30AM
Yes however this will get rid of your previously hacked IOS's if you update back to 4.1 therefore you would have to re-trucha patch ios 36 to use preloader
PS:startpatch was just updated for 4.1 so I would use it for hacks...... You know once you get your HBC to work again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 03:59AM by flyguy.
July 21, 2009 08:29AM
Flyguy -MattMan - I appreciate all of your help. I don't think you are going to be able to help me any further. I used anyregion changer and ran my system back to 3.2. Had me afraid to reboot since it game me a brick warrning about the system area and the game region not agreeing even though I didn't change anything. Just pressed go as MattMan suggested. I then used dop-ios to reload ios 60 and 61. My menu screen is at 3.2 because there is no sd card in the corner anymore. After all this I reloaded the ios files that I had before. I got the homebrew channel working again but only if I don't use the usb ports for anything. The use of the usb port are what caused the black screen from the homebrew channel. Any recommendations as to where I should go to get further assistance? Thanks again for all your help. UPDATE!!!! I have my system back to where it was. The preloader must have damaged one of the IOS's that Arikado likes so much. Just a couple more questions. Now that everything is running right how do I backup the system nand and what is the safest method to prevent bricking in the future. Again thank you very much for your time and help. I would have never have got it back without you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 12:33PM by nomad777.
July 21, 2009 04:20PM
Well honestly since you can't install bootmii as boot2 there isn't very much brick protection for you... Untill the bootmii team uses my idea of putting the same bootmii application but in-front of the system menu (just like preloader) but with the benifets of the boot2 app.
So if I were you I would lay off installing things on the wii for now. If you haven't installed preloader already I would use startpatch for system menu 4.1 for the hacks
Edit: just to let you know regular apps like say..... mplayer CE are fine it is literally impossible for apps like that to brick (they dont install anything to the wii NAND)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 05:58PM by flyguy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login