Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First time - have I got it right

Posted by tormi 
First time - have I got it right
August 17, 2009 01:27PM
Hi guys!

I bought a Wii two days ago. I have version 3.4E (I choose not to upgrade it when the option was available to me.) Should I upgrade from Nintendo or leave it?

First off I wonder if I have got it right now:

1. I have my SD Card (2gb non SDHC)
-> PS: Can I use a bigger size card, I also have a 8gb SDHC card laying around, I thought I could save some movies on that one for the kids to watch if it is usable

2. Download and extract file "aad1f_v108.zip" from ->[bannerbomb.qoid.us] to SD card which gives me this folder structure:
->private\wii\title\aktn\
with file in content.bin
no other files are present at this time

3. Download the HackMii installer version version beta2 -> Extract theese files in the ROOT of the SD Card
-CREDITS
-installer.elf -> Rename it to boot.elf
-LICENSE
README

This gives me this folder structure:

private\wii\title\aktn\content.bin
CREDITS (Found out it is not needed :))
boot.elf
LICENSE (Found out it is not needed :))
README (Found out it is not needed :))

4. Insert SD Card -> Go through Data management and follow the tutorials.

Follow up questions:
1. Is there anything else I need to check out before I start my installation of the Homebrew channel?
2. After installing, if I start the Wii without the SD card what happens then?
3. The tuts say that warranty is void if I do this - If Wii crashes (at some point in time) is there anyway to get the warranty back? Reverting the system or any other ways?

Thanks in advance, I feel like a totalt neewb here so help is appreciated. I don't want to crash my box :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2009 01:36PM by tormi.
Re: First time - have I got it right
August 17, 2009 02:30PM
It sounds to me like you are doing everything right! If I were you I would put bootmii boot2 on if you can... If you can't then don't bother. If you turn the wii on with or without the sd it will boot the same (unless you have boot2). It does void your warranty but of you just stay to the official apps on wiibrew.org you will be fine. Just stay away from fail like backup launchers and warez (illegal stuff)
August 17, 2009 02:44PM
Thank you very much.

I will get to this tonight or tomorrow then.

Where do I get boot2 from? I shold have that file + the boot.elf then right?

Also if anybody knows which SD cards would work on this? Am I bound to use the 2gb or can I go higher?

Will homebrew let me stream .avi and .wmv movies from my server via wireless access?
August 17, 2009 02:59PM
No I mean on the hackmii installer there is an option called bootmii. You can install this as boot2 or IOS.IOS doesn't provide very much protection and boot2 makes your wii almost unbrickable. You probably won't be able to install it as your wii is very new. So just install homebrew channel and DVDx (let's you watch DVD's) I believe Mplayer CE will let you play movies wirelessly... Not sure how to set it up as I never used that feature.

Have fun homebrewing!!
August 18, 2009 07:52AM
Ahh ok, I actually already knew about the boot 2 thingy - just misinterpreted your answer. Looking forward to trying it out.

But is there no one that can answer the SD card question?

And also about the updating of the Wii. I guess after Homebrew is installed you NEVER use the original platform for updating right?
August 18, 2009 11:03AM
There is no reason NOT to update regularly at the moment. No update has done anything to already installed HBC, and having HBC is all you really need. Updates haven't done anything to any channels or anything yet.
August 18, 2009 11:33AM
Ok thanks for that clarification.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login