Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can I update safely?

Posted by op89x 
Can I update safely?
October 25, 2009 03:39AM
Please forgive me if this question has been answered already; I searched Google and didn't find an answer I felt was 100% yes or no.

I installed the HBC some time ago, and currently only use it to run emulators. All my information is stored on an SD card. I tried to use the Wii Shop Channel lately and it is insisting on an update. I've heard of Wiis becoming bricked and want to be sure I won't lose anything once I update.

I'm not as concerned with losing the HBC as I am my Wii save game data. I can play emulators on my PC, which I usually do anyways because I can use a better controller. I just don't want to mess up anything on my Wii itself.

I don't play any pirated games, so I don't have any save data from backup discs, in case that would be an issue.

Again, I'm sorry if this is something answered elsewhere, or pure common sense. I just want to be absolutely positive before I take the leap of faith and update. I don't want to lose three years of save data, or any of my VC/WiiWare titles.
Re: Can I update safely?
October 25, 2009 04:45AM

Can I update safely?
Yes.
October 25, 2009 05:21AM
Thanks for the quick reply. Next time I play, I'll be updating.
October 25, 2009 06:19AM
Doesn't the update kill bootmii as boot2 though? Why is everyone saying it's ok to update if that's the case?
October 25, 2009 06:39AM
pokeglobe
Doesn't the update kill bootmii as boot2 though? Why is everyone saying it's ok to update if that's the case?
You can just reinstall it.
October 25, 2009 08:20PM
Ah, so does this mean I'm going to have to re-install the HBC once I update?
October 25, 2009 08:33PM
op89x
Ah, so does this mean I'm going to have to re-install the HBC once I update?
Only if youre not already using the latest version of it.
October 25, 2009 09:29PM
Only BootMii as boot2 gets overwritten by the update. DVDX and the HBC will still be there.
October 25, 2009 10:30PM
I had in mind it did what LU64 Wiis do. Patches it so it can't be installed. My bad.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login