Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Required Update - Sonic Mario Winter Games

Posted by picopir8 
Required Update - Sonic Mario Winter Games
October 31, 2009 01:48AM
I just bought Sonic & Mario at the Olympic Winter games and upon inserting the disk it notified me that I must first update my wii to play, it then warned me that it will remove any homebrew.

I am running 4.1 so I am thinking this may be trying to install 4.2 but it may just be an ios update.

Does anyone know if this update is safe to run?

If not, is there a way to bypass it?
Re: Required Update - Sonic Mario Winter Games
October 31, 2009 02:15AM
The update is probably safe to run, so don't worry about it. And if it updates to 4.2, just use the latest versions of HackMii installer/Bannerbomb to reinstall everything. No harm should be done to your Wii and all homebrew should be working (except the apps using DVDX)
October 31, 2009 10:06AM
BTW, can you tell ius if it updates to 4.2? Every game in our knowledge updates to 3.4.
October 31, 2009 12:22PM
well to find out you need the iso, check the update partition of the iso using wiiscrubber, this can be illegal depending on your country, in the uk it is apparently legal as its for personal reasons (and i suppose its self defense in a sense)
October 31, 2009 12:35PM
Or you could use WUFE which is a Wii app which will extract the update from the disc, and then you can check it. And that is legal anywhere.

Anyway, if you have any downgraded/missing IOS, that is the problem, its trying to update/install them. Otherwise, its the 4.2 update. I wouldn't really be too surprised, Nintendo will want to get 4.2 update out as soon as possible.
November 01, 2009 06:17PM
I found out I can just run it with Gecko. It works fine so I have been playing it that way. Its not quite as convenient as launching the game directly, but since that runs it w/o needing to update, Ill let someone else be the guinea pig and install the update before doing it myself.
November 01, 2009 11:02PM
If you really don't want to update, use StartPatch and apply the 'skip update check' to your System Menu. That way you don't have to use Gecko every time you want to play your game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2009 11:03PM by Molzo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login