Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help an honest homebrew lover!

Posted by dlamb6990 
Help an honest homebrew lover!
November 02, 2009 02:45PM
Hi,
I have just downloaded the hombrew browser using banner bomb and ALL I want to do is use the Gecko OS and some of the other cool apps on hombrew without fear of bricking my Wii. I have NO interest in playing backups. I have ZERO tech knowledge on hacking I dont know W.T.F an iOS upgrade, downgrade CIOS or any of the other crap that stated on other sites, all the FAO's i have read dont seems to cater for anyone with no tech knowledge its quite frustrating even the idiots guides still use tech. terms I have no clue about, Anyway my question is can I run games through the GECKO OS that ask me to update to 4.2?? im running 3.4 firmware at the moment, is that easiest method of running new (legal) games that are coming out that want to force you to update to 4.2? thanks, J
Re: Help an honest homebrew lover!
November 02, 2009 05:07PM
Using Gecko OS will NOT brick your wii. As far as I know, anything downloaded from the homebrew browser is safe.
If you mean the Homebrew Channel you must download the Homebrew Browser (2 different things)

If you don't want to use the Homebrew browser, get the apps on wiibrew wiki and follow the homebrew setup tutorial for where to put the apps.

Good Luck!
November 02, 2009 05:42PM
Thanks for the reply, I do have the homebrew browser and all i want is too use the hombrew Apps, but does Gecko OS mean I can load a game that requires 4.2 such as guitar hero and Mario and sonic olympic games before working?
Cheers.
November 02, 2009 10:00PM
If they don't require an IOS (Gecko will act up and tell you what one is needed.) that you don't have it should. Your best bet would be to try. Nothing should go wrong.
Good luck!
November 03, 2009 07:54AM
thanks, what do you mean by saying it might require an Ios? Im new to this so dont know what that means? Cheers.
November 03, 2009 02:52PM
Nevermind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2009 02:46PM by gameboy13.
November 03, 2009 05:35PM
An IOS is a low level input-output-system which contains a set of functions called by the Wiis processes.

In colloquial terms: This means that certain games required certain IOSs to be installed for them to be played. If Gecko OS detects that you are missing a required IOS, it will install it for you with your permission.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2009 05:35PM by Arikado.
November 03, 2009 07:23PM
thanks for that. So if it requires a certain Ios it will install it for me? I wont risk a brick will i? My ios is 3.4 at the moment.
November 03, 2009 07:44PM
Gecko never installed it for me. :/
the only risk I would see is the ios not installing correctly (shouldn't) it wont brick you.
November 03, 2009 08:21PM
There is a VERY low chance of bricking if NAND is corrupted, but if the IOS install fails, it wont brick. NAND corruption is very unlikely. Never heard of it happening. Gecko OS wont ever touch System Menu IOS, which is the only really important IOS. All others wont stop Wii from functioning.
November 03, 2009 09:24PM
SifJar
There is a VERY low chance of bricking if NAND is corrupted, but if the IOS install fails, it wont brick. NAND corruption is very unlikely. Never heard of it happening. Gecko OS wont ever touch System Menu IOS, which is the only really important IOS. All others wont stop Wii from functioning.

...They will just stop individual channels or games from working.
November 03, 2009 09:43PM
metroid_maniac
SifJar

...They will just stop individual channels or games from working.

Yes, but that can be easily remedied. Bricking on the other hand is not so easily remedied.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login