Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question on bricks

Posted by docnoc32 
Question on bricks
November 26, 2009 05:08AM
I have a soft mod wii 3.4U with BootMII loaded to boot/2, I have also backed up my wii system to an SD card. WII currently boots to the bootmii menu.

What things can brick my wii to an unfixable state? Or does the bootmii and backup help prevent bricking/
Re: Question on bricks
November 26, 2009 09:52AM
If you have a NAND flash backup (basically a backup of your System Menu and IOS'), you're fine. When your Wii is "bricked", it's not a hardware or boot problem. Your "OS" is corrupted. That's why you back up your NAND, it's essentially a backup of the Wii OS' current state.
November 26, 2009 04:39PM
gameking66
If you have a NAND flash backup (basically a backup of your System Menu and IOS'), you're fine. When your Wii is "bricked", it's not a hardware or boot problem. Your "OS" is corrupted. That's why you back up your NAND, it's essentially a backup of the Wii OS' current state.
Ummm... If you are bricked it can be a low-level (boot) failure or a hardware failure.

Brick= your wii has the function of a brick. (the thing houses are built with)
November 26, 2009 07:38PM
Basically, the only thing that can brick you irrecoverably now is a failed boot2 update. If you are on 4.2, or 4.1 updated from NSMB (i.e. you have boot2v4) you have nothing to worry about as that is the latest version of boot2 at the moment. And anyway the chances of a boot2 update failing are about 1 in 100000 or something like that. So basically, you are pretty much totally safe. No homebrew other than HackMii Installer touches boot2, and official updates to boot2 are reasonably safe.
November 26, 2009 10:01PM
I do not have 4.1 or 4.2 I am running boot/2 on a 3.4U system am I still safe?
November 26, 2009 10:23PM
It's generally impossible to brick at a low-level (boot2) unless you get a power outage or power surge and your Wii goes out while modifying boot2. Otherwise it's almost always a problem with the System Menu,
November 26, 2009 11:45PM
You should be absoulutely fine. Even when doing a boot2 update, the brick risk is only like 1 in 100000, IF the power goes out (i think...), so very slim chance. And if you dont do a boot2 update (theres no need to really, it can be worked around to allow you to do anything without it), theres no chance of an irrecoverable brick.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login