Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help...I want to reprogram Nunchuk button function

Posted by Soulpt 
Need help...I want to reprogram Nunchuk button function
December 01, 2009 04:10AM
I'm a total newbie so any advice would be very helpful.

Do anyone here have any idea how I might be able to reprogram a Wii Remote/Nunchuk or who could do this for me? I am interested in changing the function of the buttons on the Nunchuk. Specifically I would like to have a gamer be able to press the Nunchuk's C button and have it register as though the A button on the Wiimote was pushed and the same for pressing the Nunchuk's Z button to act s though the Wiimote's B button was pressed.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thank you.
Re: Need help...I want to reprogram Nunchuk button function
December 01, 2009 04:14AM
In a homebrew or official piece of software?
December 01, 2009 01:28PM
Homebrew applications might allow you to do that in the interface or in a configuration file, or you could modify the source.

With normal Wii games, this is probably close to impossible. Not impossible entirely, just close. Putting in the effort is probably not worth it, though.
December 01, 2009 10:31PM
WikiFSX
Homebrew applications might allow you to do that in the interface or in a configuration file, or you could modify the source.

With normal Wii games, this is probably close to impossible.

Unless he opens up the nunchuk and redraws some wires.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2009 10:41PM by profetylen.
December 02, 2009 12:18AM
That won't work, as he wants the Nunchuck buttons to act like A and B.
December 02, 2009 12:53AM
easy solution... hold the nunchuck and wiimote in the opposite hands =p
December 03, 2009 01:48PM
WikiFSX
That won't work, as he wants the Nunchuck buttons to act like A and B.

Oh, I guess I read to fast.
December 04, 2009 05:04AM
OK here goes...

I'm a licensed physical therapist here in NY. My specialty is in high level balance and functional training for fitness & sports physical therapy.

I treat a lot of athletes including snowboarders/skateboarders and there main complaint with gaming systems is the limits either put in by the game or the equipment provided, mostly the equipment's fragility. Whether its Tony Hawk's Thride or the Wii balance board you can't really be too aggressive with them and they restrict a lot of movement for players who would like a more physical challenge.

So I'm having a wood crafter make a replica of the Thride board. Its got a nice feel and has obviously been tested for the intended market extensively.

My goal is to mount an existing motion game controller directly to the board. This will be easily accomplished by mounting 2 sets of gripper clips to the board to accomodate for vertical & horizontal placement of the Wii Remote.

A riders feet would be held in place for actual "jumps" by attaching soft bindings to the board...the type used by mountain boarders to allow for easy entrance/exit.

The end result will be dozens of already existing ski/sno/wake/skateboarding games (currently available in the Wii format) will now be capable of being played in a much more fun, aggressive(jumping/hopping/turning/bending) & functional way than the could ever before.

When you consider my perspective I think you see where I'm going with this. I'm trying to fuse existing gaming technology via my knowledge of sports rehabilitation-biomechanics with balance boards and make the end result an adequate gaming and a true *challenging* exercise experience for the user. Its my belief that both gamers & boarders are looking for this and the THRide comes up just a little short.

I've trialed standard balance boards at my office with the motion sensor controller and the result, though rudimentary, had applications are limitless at least in a rehabilitation setting. A customized product like this board certainly has a select audience but in *virtual rehabilitation* the possibilities will be very rewarding for my patients and improve their experience while recoving and enhancing their physical capabilities.

However in many of the games (i.e. Shaun White: World Stage) the A & B buttons remain functional when you are using the remote instead of the Wii Balance board. Though they aren't *absolutely* necessary there in lies my motivation to enable the nunchuk to perform the A/B button functions via the C/Z buttons.

If this can be accomplished than a player will have the full challenge of a dynamic balance board and the full functionality of the game they are playing.

With that said I need your help in figuring out a way to reprogram the Wii Remote so that a message (C/Z buttons) from a wired or wireless nunchuk is *interpreted* by the remote differently.

If you can tell me who might be able to help me accomplish my goal to help my patients get an advanced level of training with a cutting edge technology it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for considering my request.
Soulpt
December 04, 2009 02:28PM
If your games don't use C and Z, it might be possible to use Ocarina to hook in and map the buttons. However, this requires some knowledge of how the games work, and it needs a debugging device.

You might be able to convince somebody to help you, though I can't.
December 04, 2009 09:04PM
Or with, not too advanced electronical equipment and some knowledge with electronics you could try to measure all the voltage signals that go from the nunchuk to the wiimote after you've figured out how you can feed the nunchuk with power. After that you could just connect your own device with the wiimote the appropriate cables and electronical components that you build together yourself. You may be wanting to consult a proffesional for this, but I'm sure almost any university would be glad to help if not at least provide you with the equipment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login