Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Simple question

Posted by Mestizo 
Simple question
December 07, 2009 06:52AM
I don't see an answer to this anywhere. So, if a new update for the Wii is up, I just refuse it, right? If they find a way to enable homebrew on the new update, would it be safe to uninstall the Homebrew Channel and update the Wii, then reinstall the Homebrew Channel? I just have Homebrew Channel, no BootMii or DVDX.
Re: Simple question
December 07, 2009 06:55AM
Go ahead and update. It will delete your HBC (unless you're using the latest version), but you can just re-install it. There is no disadvantage of having 4.2 (AFAIK)
December 07, 2009 07:07AM
I already do have 4.2U and HBC installed. I'm asking about a possible future update. Do I still need BootMii in the Wii, or, should they release a new update, would it be safe to uninstall HBC and upgrade when they crack it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 07:10AM by Mestizo.
December 07, 2009 07:16AM
I don't think its ever safe to update until you get information about the update from Hackmii. But thats just my opinion. Also, I would say having bootmii is a good idea.
December 07, 2009 07:17AM
Well, I'd have to install it as an IOS. What does it do exactly?
December 07, 2009 07:25AM
Oh, well, as an IOS, its kind of useless ATM....
December 07, 2009 07:26AM
So, don't bother with BootMii and DVDx? I don't plan to use my Wii as a DVD player (seeing as though I have a PS2 and a VCR/DVD player), and I only plan on playing NES, SNES, GBA, and Genesis roms, meaning Wii games will be the actual disks.

So, do I run the risk of bricking at all other than a Wii system update? Also, when I try to go to my SD card channels menu, the system locks. Any workaround to that?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 07:32AM by Mestizo.
December 07, 2009 08:09AM
Well, are the channels legitimate shop channel downloads?

Also, you shouldn't be worried about bricking unless you install themes, delete IOSs, etc. The only reason you could brick from a system update is if you shut down the power during the update process...Or if nintendo puts malicious code in their updates that bricks peoples wiis that have HBC installed....But I don't even think thats legal.
December 07, 2009 08:18AM
There's nothing on the SD card other than my homebrew and the boot.elf. Do I still need that file in my SD card? And the channels on the Wii system right now is the disk channel, Mii channel, Wii Shop, Photo, Homebrew, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Mega Man 9.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 08:26AM by Mestizo.
December 07, 2009 08:24AM
No, you can delete it.
December 07, 2009 08:29AM
Mestizo
Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Mega Man 9.
And are they legitimate games? Sorry, I'd just like to make sure before i give you any advice.
December 07, 2009 08:30AM
Yes, they are legit. No channels at all other than the apps for HBC in my SD card. Why is the Wii locking up when I go to the SD channels panel?

EDIT: NVM, the lock-up was probably from boot.elf. I deleted it, and it no longer locks. Since I don't need BootMii as an IOS or DVDx, do I really even need that file, or the Bannerbomb X:\private directory?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 08:36AM by Mestizo.
December 07, 2009 08:34AM
Hmm...Did you use bannerbomb to install the HBC? If so, do you still have the bannerbomb (private folder) folder on your SD card?
December 07, 2009 08:36AM
Yes, I have Bannerbomb. The only disks I have for Wii are the Wii Sports and Punchout. Do I still need Bannerbomb in my private directory and boot.elf?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 08:41AM by Mestizo.
December 07, 2009 08:44AM
I believe thats whats causing the problem. Delete your bannerbomb folder, and it should quit freezing up.
December 07, 2009 08:48AM
Yes, it worked. What about the bootmii folder? If I'm not gonna install BootMii, should I still keep that folder?

Also, that comment about malicious code causing a brick in modded systems is illegal. Malicious code in anything could easily damage a system, even without modifications. If they did that, they'd have to repair all systems, even ones with mods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 08:50AM by Mestizo.
December 07, 2009 08:53AM
Mestizo
Yes, it worked. What about the bootmii folder? If I'm not gonna install BootMii, should I still keep that folder?
No, you don't need it.

Mestizo
Malicious code in anything could easily damage a system, even without modifications.
Thats true, but what I meant was that they could specifically make code designed to ruin systems with modified content. :P
But as you said, thats not legal, so no worries! :D

I'm glad you fixed your problem. Just ask if you need more help. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 08:53AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
December 07, 2009 09:00AM
One more thing. Should there be a new update in the future, should I decline it until HackMii says there's a new method to reinstall HBC? And, when/if there is, should I uninstall HBC and run the update, then reinstall HBC without the risk of Nintendo bricking my Wii?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 09:02AM by Mestizo.
December 07, 2009 09:04AM
If there is a new update, I would suggest waiting until you hear some news from hackmii. If they give an OK, then just update. There's no need to delete/reinstall the HBC first, I don't think.

Okay, I can't answer any more questions now. I'm goin' to sleep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 09:06AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login