Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Problem I'm Running into after installing + removing Homebrew

Posted by Zomgzilla 
A Problem I'm Running into after installing + removing Homebrew
December 12, 2009 09:35PM
Hi. About a few months ago I successfully installed Homebrew on my Nintendo Wii using the Bannerbomb exploit. However a few weeks ago Nintendo wanted an update in order for me to play New Super Mario Bros Wii, and, thinking I had no other choice, decided to do the update. But, first I decided to go to my wii channels menu and delete the homebrew channel as well as formatting my SD card so that my wii wouldn't crash/brick. Then I got the update and everything was fine, only I didn't have Homebrew.

Well, I though it would be as simple as getting the latest versions of everything and doing it all over again. I'm pretty sure I have Wii system menu 4.2, which means I'd need to latest Hackmii and Bannerbomb, to which I got both. However since trying to reinstall homebrew, I haven't been able to successfully get my wii to load boot.elf, instead it just freezes and I shut it down. I tried different things, and getting older versions, but I still could not get it to load boot.elf.

So now I'm thinking the problem may have something to do with what I did in deleting Homebrew off my channels. Maybe my Wii still has boot.elf loaded and is getting confused. Though I have no knowledge in this area, and would really appreciate help in understanding my situation so that I can get Homebrew back up again.

Thanks in advance
Re: A Problem I'm Running into after installing + removing Homebrew
December 12, 2009 09:40PM
There was no reason to delete the Homebrew Channel, but you don't quite have system menu 4.2, you still have 4.1. Now all you need to do is get the 4.1 bannerbomb and use that.
December 12, 2009 09:48PM
Are you sure? Because I tried the 4.1 banner bomb and it froze like the others. Also, after the NSMB wii update I'm pretty sure I updated again because my internet connection was getting whacky for awhile, so it's possible for me to have 4.2.

Thanks for the help, so you're saying that when I deleted the Homebrew channel I didn't screw myself out of getting it again? Will it ask about boot.elf again?
December 12, 2009 09:50PM
For what it's worth I'm trying it again right now, from step 1, so anything you've got would help
December 12, 2009 10:00PM
Go to your wii settings, look in the upper-right corner of the screen, and it will list your system menu. Could you tell me what it says?
December 12, 2009 10:05PM
Oh man, I feel like an idiot. I've got version 4.2. Basically the problem was I was trying to load boot.elf from my SD card like I did before I had 4.2. But I wasn't paying attention, I didn't realize that instead of going to SD card through the data management you had to do it directly from the main system menu now.

Thanks very much for the help, the site is easy to use, I just made an error and didn't read that 4.2 required a different install ^^; Homebrew's back up again!
December 12, 2009 10:19PM
I was wondering though, when I thought the disc and internet updates by Nintendo were inevitable and mandatory someone was telling me how to get around it. Can anyone explain this to me or link to a topic or article explaining how to get around it in the future so I dont have this problem again?
December 13, 2009 12:22AM
If you want to get around disk updates, then use Gecko OS to launch the game, and if you want to get around system menu updates....Just don't click the update button. :P
December 13, 2009 09:50PM
I prefer to use StartPatch and install the System Menu patch that blocks the update partition on discs. It's less hassle than launching games through Gecko OS.
December 15, 2009 11:48AM
wow new to all this, alot to take in.......... I thought you had to update especially for the new games like New super mario & avatar etc. can you still install hackmii/bootmii and these other programs like Startpatch as add-ons??
December 15, 2009 12:46PM
You can still install anything you can install with the HackMii installer. As for StartPatch, if a 4.2 installer is available, you can.
December 15, 2009 02:08PM
Yes you can use startpatch on 4.0+
December 15, 2009 10:02PM
you can do practically anything on practically any System Menu. In fact, System Menu version is largely irrelevant for most things. Obvious exception being StartPatch/Preloader hacks, and HBC/DVDx, but the latest versions of HBC/DVDx work on any System Menu, and there are versions StartPatch and preloader hacks for virtually every widely used System Menu.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login