Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Soooooo New to this it hurts.... Helps?

Posted by subculture 
Soooooo New to this it hurts.... Helps?
December 19, 2009 05:56AM
Hi. I recently bought my wife a Wii and have been itching to investigate the world of Homebrew. I've been reading tons of stuff on the wiki and just have to get a clear picture from the Gurus here. Our Wii (I would guess) has the 4.2 update (it was purchased end of November). So, my question is this: what exactly do I need? Aside from an SD card (btw: does it matter which kind/size?). Which files/apps whatever, do I need? Bannerbomb v2? DvdX?

Basically I want to play emulated backups of game I own for old/dead systems

There's so much stuff to read through, I just don't want to go into this lightly.

cheers,

S
Re: Soooooo New to this it hurts.... Helps?
December 19, 2009 09:20AM
First, figure out which System Menu version you have by going to Wii Settings and it should show the ver number (ex. 4.1U or 3.2U etc.)
Then, Get a SD Card, I recommend a 2gb Sandisk or PNY card.
Then, download Hackmii Installer, out of all of the exploits you can use I suggest using Bannerbomb, you don't even need a game to use it!
Get DVDx, it lets you play DVDs on your Wii with Mplayer CE.
Download Homebrew Browser, you can download apps with it, you can also get Emulators with it.

TADAZ! You now have the perfect Homebrew Setup
December 19, 2009 03:18PM
SD card size doesn't matter, and most brands should work. A couple are incompatible, but that's unavoidable sadly.

Anyway, check your version number in Settings. If you do have 4.2, you need to use bannerbomb v2. If you have 4.1 or lower, I'd advise you to update to the latest version first, then use bannerbomb v2. If you can't/don't want to update, use bannerbomb v1.

Use bannerbomb to run the HackMii Installer v0.6. In it, choose what you want to install. You need to install HBC, and I'd advise DVDx as well in case you ever want to watch DVDs. You won't be able to install BootMii as boot2, but you can install it as an IOS if you like. But know that it is not very useful as IOS at the moment.

Next, download the emulators you want. You need to setup your SD card as follows; in the root (i.e. not inside any folders, e.g. if your SD card has the letter F on windows, the root would be F:/) make a folder called "apps" (all lower case). Inside this, make a folder for each emulator/piece of homebrew you wish to run. (e.g. F:/apps/SNES9X). Inside this, place the boot.dol, icon.png and meta.xml from the download of the homebrew. Some homebrew also has extra files, which usually also have to go into this directory. Check each homebrew's readme if you're not sure.

Finally, when you launch HBC with your SD card inserted, each homebrew should show up. Just point and press A, then select "Load" to launch it.

For more information, and in depth instructions of what I said above, check [www.wiibrew.org]
December 21, 2009 07:35AM
Hey... thanks for the tips... I thought I would never get the HBC in my brand new Wii 4.2E system menu.... thank you so much...
Helfs
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login