Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help getting started with new Wii.

Posted by wchampions 
Need help getting started with new Wii.
December 26, 2009 09:24AM
Hi I just bought a new Wii, but before I did I read and read and read and I thought I had it all down but tonight I am unable to install the homebrew channel or anything else. After going to data management, channels and then SD card it freezes stating that if I paid for the software it is a scam. I can however see in green the bannerbomb channel in the background.

Brand new out of the box it is 3.4u (Is it common to find such a old system menu on a new wii? I was expecting to find 4.2)

- I formatted my SD card both FAT and then FAT32 but still no dice.
- I put the boot.elf file from hackmii_installer_v0.6 onto the root of the SD card which is a kingston card.
- I put the private folder from aad1f_v108 onto the root of the SD card
- When the above didn't work i put the private folder from aad20_v108 on the SD card instead and it still would freeze.

Can someone please point me to the right direction? Thank you.
Re: Need help getting started with new Wii.
December 26, 2009 01:23PM
You could try Smash Stack, the Twilight Hack, or Indiana Pwns if you have the respective games.
December 26, 2009 04:25PM
I don't have them but I will get my hands on one of them, thanks for the advice
December 26, 2009 08:07PM
I attempted to update my system to 4.2 so I could try the 4.2 version of bannerbomb however after connecting to my wifi it only updated about 10 percent when it gave me an error I believe it was error 34000. Even though it did not finish my system now states it is 4.2 however like i said it didn't even download half way.

Should I be worried? I am still unable to completely download an update. Plus when I try to use the shop channel it tells me that I need to update the system first but like I said when I do try to update it fails.

Do you guys think it safe to assume I do have a complete 4.2 system even though it did not finish downloading?
Would it be safe to try the 4.2 version of bannerbomb?
December 26, 2009 08:52PM
If your system menu states 4.2 and you have the SD card menu (little SD icon on the Wii channels page) then you could try bannerbomb v2
December 26, 2009 11:36PM
Thank you......I did try bannberbomb v2 and it worked! I just found it odd that my system updated itself even though the download did not complete. Bootmii had to be installed via ios. Forgive my noobiness but, what does bootmii do and when and why would I want to use it?
December 26, 2009 11:41PM
If you have bootmii installed as a boot2 you can pretty much protect from any brick.
December 27, 2009 12:59AM
If you have BootMii installed as an IOS you can still run apps that require Mini like the MIKE Linux kernel and GeeXboX MINI.
December 27, 2009 04:01AM
Thanks for all your help guys, i kept reading and there were times I thought the wife was going to kill me because I was close to bricking the console but now everything is working and I am not going to tinker with it if I can help it.

One last question.......Wiiconnect 24 means that my wii is constantly online right? Should I disable this and have no internet connection? My greatest fear is that I will wake up one day and find a prompt asking me to update and there goes everything. Or should I keep it on and just assume its one of those things that come with the territory?
December 27, 2009 04:08AM
wchampions
One last question.......Wiiconnect 24 means that my wii is constantly online right? Should I disable this and have no internet connection? My greatest fear is that I will wake up one day and find a prompt asking me to update and there goes everything. Or should I keep it on and just assume its one of those things that come with the territory?
Totally up to you. There are currently no real disadvantages to doing so though - only theoretical ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2009 04:08AM by Arikado.
December 28, 2009 03:27AM
I noticed today that my shop channel no longer works. When I click on it the screen turns black and nothing works, not even the controller so I have to unplug the wii. I never got to downloading the internet browser so I feel like i can't surf the web other than using the news channel and weather channel. Anybody have ideas what went wrong and how I could fix it?
December 28, 2009 04:18AM
Did you do anything related to the Shop Channel with homebrew (besides launching it)?
December 28, 2009 04:28AM
I did nothing at all to it, yesterday i followed the instructions to get the homebrew channel up and today the wii shop channel does not work. Is there a way to perhaps get the internet channel installed via a dol file through the homebrew channel?
December 28, 2009 05:24AM
You can use Dop-IOS MOD v9 to get it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login