Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Woops! Just Blacked Out A Wii!

Posted by woops 
Woops! Just Blacked Out A Wii!
December 30, 2009 06:01AM
Hello, all. New to WiiBrew, read many previous postings prior to resurrecting this issue one more time and have spent more than a week on research. My problem, as many before me:

I installed homebrew on a friend's Wii using HackMii Installer. This installed the HBC and BootMii. Time went by and my friend enjoyed the Wii. I left system menu 3.2U installed. According to my friend, the Wii was being updated to 4.1U with Waninkoko's firmware updater. When the update was finished, the Wii powered down and when it restarted, it only showed a green flash on the tv screen, followed by a blue flash on from the drive and nothing more-just darkness. The Wii can be started via remote, but that's all the remote can do. It cannot turn off the Wii or do anything else. The Wii can be turned on or off from the power button as well and you can insert or eject discs. When a disc is left in the system and power is turned on, you can hear the disc spinning. If the system is already on and you insert a disc, it will take it, but it will not spin. All the Wii does is show a flash of green on the tv screen followed by complete darkness.

BootMii is not working at all. I have SaveMii and it does not show anything on the lower corner of the tv screen. A red and green light are on. Tried SaveMii on MY Wii and it does show the system menu version my Wii has so it does what it's supposed.

I have recovered by own Wii from semi bricks and feel confident I know what I am doing with homebrew; however, I've never encountered this problem and it is very frustrating and to a degree upsetting, since this Wii belongs to my friend's child (sad Christmas to say the least) and could not use the Wii. Since I installed homebrew to began with, I feel partially responsible. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
Re: Woops! Just Blacked Out A Wii!
December 30, 2009 06:11AM
This is why you should never use a "safe" updater. Anyway, was Bootmii installed as boot2 or IOS? Are the Bootmii files on an SD card that is in the wii? Was Bootmii's autoboot feature changed to system menu? Does your disc drive slot light blink when you turn on the wii? We will need to know the answer to these questions in order to provide any useful advise.
December 30, 2009 03:45PM
BootMii was installed as IOS; however, the BooMii files for that SD card were deleted...that's how I received it. I honestly can't remember if I changed the autoboot feature to system menu.

The disc drive slot light only blinks once after the Wii is powered on. I have BootMii installed as IOS on my Wii, but using my SD card does no good either. Thank you for replying jbc007.
December 30, 2009 04:02PM
Unfortunately, Bootmii as IOS is almost useless; you will not be able to access it to fix your wii. You will either need to send it to Nintendo and hope that they will fix it, or get a hardware NAND programmer. There is a discussion about that here, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Edit: The drive slot light blinking means that you have Bootmii installed as boot2. I didn't notice that you said that when I wrote this, sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 10:35PM by jbc007.
December 30, 2009 10:08PM
I was having the same thoughts after having gone through that madness...until...I found a backup of the sd card that I'd done when homebrew was initally installed. I thought "What the heck? I'll insert it and try to bring up bootmii" since I was sure that I had installed it.

I inserted the sd card 1st, held the reset button and turn on the Wii...viola! The tv screen showed a message and seemed to intiate a sequence of steps (not really sure what they were now, since I was too excited to even see that), the tv screen was scrolling fast. immediately after, the health screen popped up with HBC and everything else I had installed with one exception-----the system menu said 4.1U instead of 3.2U and as stated in my original post, that's what was "installed" in the wii and led to the brick.

When I took the SD card out though and turned on the Wii again, it behaved as a brick. So instead of thinkering some more, I decided to install an official firmware update. 4.2U. It is now back to a "normal" Wii, with no homebrew. Thanks for listening and glad to have joined the wiibrew community. If there's anyway I can help, I wil do as well. : )
December 30, 2009 10:36PM
Interesting situation. Anyway, glad you got it fixed.

By the way, the Bootmii folder that you have on your SD card must not be the one made by the Hackmii Installer when you installed Bootmii. I recommend that you replace it with the origional one so that you can use Bootmii properly. If you don't have this folder, the Hackmii Installer can create another one. All you have to do is select prepare SD card in the Bootmii section of the Installer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 10:41PM by jbc007.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login