Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help me catch up with the last year

Posted by Flex 
Help me catch up with the last year
January 04, 2010 09:09PM
Hi,
I've not been able to follow homebrew for the past year due to lack of time. Heck I haven't toutched my Wii at all for that long.

So I've noticed the system menu is now up to 4.2.
Some fitness game frome my GF gives me an update warning in the sytem menu.
Shop shannel, nintendo channel... can't be acessed without updating.

On the Wiibrew frontpage it says updating is not recommended, however many users claim it's safe to update when you have the latest version of the Hombrewchannel and DVDX so I already fixed that but am hesitant to update my sytem menu.I'm still on 3.2E.
I've installed Gecko to be able to play the games that would normally require an update which seems to work.
A few people say some homebrew stuff won't work anymore when you update but it's not clear exacly what they mean.

So what's the safest way to get the shopchannel back, use DOP-ios to update ios 61 ? Is it safe?
Any way to get rid of the update warning on the disc channel?
What are the downsides of system menu 4.2 and also Bootmii 0.4, is it worth it and is the wiimote supported?

Sorry for the many questions.

Regards,

Nic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2010 09:10PM by Flex.
Re: Help me catch up with the last year
January 04, 2010 11:01PM
There is no real downside to 4.2. The act of updating will overwrite BootMii/boot2, but it can be reinstalled after the update. The update will also overwrite any IOS with the trucha bug, but again, you can patch trucha bug back into IOS36 with Trucha Bug Restorer or dop-IOS MOD after the update and you're sweet. My advice would be:
i) download HackMii Installer 0.6
ii) Use it to update HBC and DVDx to latest versions
iii) Do official WiFi update
iv) Use HackMii Installer 0.6 to reinstall BootMii (latest version. BTW, WiiMotes are not supported and probably never will be. Its too low level)
v) Take a NAND dump
vi) Use Trucha Buge Restorer to downgrade IOS15, patch IOS36 and then upgrade IOS15 again

After that you will have a fully functional 4.2 Wii. BTW, because the update overwrites boot2, it is slightly risky. However, this is only if you lose power at wrong moment. Because BootMii is overwritten, if this happens, you have no way to recover your Wii. However, provided the update completes succesfully (which is the most likely course of events), your wii is safe.

EDIT: Alternatively, accept the update on the disc and BootMii will not be overwritten and there will be no risk whatsoever, as BootMii will be there to protect you. And you can use WiiSCU or dop-IOS MOD install IOS61 and the latest Shop Channel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2010 11:10PM by SifJar.
January 04, 2010 11:39PM
Thanks a lot for the update ;-) Trying to wrap my mind around everything as there's so much new info.
January 29, 2010 05:46AM
I am playing catch up as well. I got HBC and DVDX updated. I do not use bootmii, do I still need to use Trucha Bug Restorer?

thanks
dm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2010 05:46AM by dmiller40.
January 29, 2010 05:49AM
dmiller40
I am playing catch up as well. I got HBC and DVDX updated. I do not use bootmii, do I still need to use Trucha Bug Restorer?

thanks
dm
Trucha bug restoration is not necessary, but you can if you want to.
January 29, 2010 02:23PM
It's a good idea, some stuff like RawkSD requires it and you get more out of Gecko OS if you do it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login