Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

update wii?

Posted by freegame36 
update wii?
February 26, 2010 03:05AM
I have a 4.2 v wii. I installed homebrew channel and everything works great. I tried to play a game I purchased and before it will load my disc a screen pops up telling me i need to update my wii. I do not want to lose any of the software i installed but i need to be able to play my bought disc. Is there a safe way to update my wii withouty losing my homebrew channel and everything associated with it?
Re: update wii?
February 26, 2010 03:13AM
Just run the disc update. You'll be fine. I promise :)
February 26, 2010 03:19AM
so when i put a disc in and click on the disc channel, it says update wii before using. You are telling me to just go ahead and click ok to run the update through nintendo and I will not lose anything I have done with my wii. I was under the impression if you updated your wii through nintendo that it wouldnt be "modded" any longer. what should I do. update the disc channel through nintendo or not?
February 26, 2010 03:23AM
Yes, update through the disc channel. I am telling you to do this. You will be fine. Really.
February 26, 2010 03:25AM
lol. ok. I will give it a shot. This will not update my entire system will it?
February 26, 2010 03:39AM
That's impossible for me to determine without knowing more specific information about your Wii. Anyways, it doesn't matter. You'll be fine. I swear.
February 26, 2010 03:48AM
i will do it through disk channel. so to clarify this issue for me. If a person updates their wii through nintendo, will they brick or lose all their hbc applications? This will be a devastating event if either one of these issues happens over this update. I worked weeks and invested tons of hrs with my wii and do not want to take a chance of having to start all over because of this update. thank you for all your replies. I am sorry to basically keep asking if it will be ok...Just need to be certain before i continue...this is a great place for info. I hope I can help someone out as well
February 26, 2010 03:55AM
No, nothing bad will happen to you. You will not be bricked. You will be fine. Bad outcomes to the update are just wild internet rumors.
February 26, 2010 04:00AM
ok. Thanks for all your help. one more question. When i installed my applications, i done so for a 4.2u wii. If i update and it increases my version, will my sd card need to be redone or will all the applications on it work....this is a question not only for me, but also for a lot of people with prior versions as well.
February 26, 2010 04:01AM
February 26, 2010 04:07AM
Then why does wiibrew.org suggest not to update throgh nintendo......when go to their site....this is the first thing you see

WiiBrew recommends that you do not update your Wii through Nintendo.
However, if you have updated or wish to update, you can use the latest version of the HackMii Installer to regain full functionality.
Downgrading or installing patched updates is dangerous and may brick your Wii.

why do they suggest not to update through nintendo?
February 26, 2010 04:26AM
That notification is to encourage that you research any update before you perform it. Instead of researching the update yourself, you've chosen to ask someone on the forum to give you their best recommendation based on content of the update. As someone who runs the forum successfully for nearly two years and someone who has written a ton of Wii homebrew software and as someone who's thoroughly research every aspect of every update; I recommend you go ahead and perform the update.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2010 04:27AM by Arikado.
February 26, 2010 04:29AM
gotcha. your the best
February 26, 2010 04:30AM
That is there on wiibrew so if another new update is released from nintendo you newbies don't update until the new released updated is looked at, and see what the new updates will do, so homebrew can be worked around any new released updates. So for example, this is just a example, if say a new update is released say version 5.0, if homebrew hasn't had time to check it, then if we update we lose what we have on our wii and won't be able to rehack it to put what was lost back on, if that makes sense.

What version of homebrew channel do you have? If you have the latest you won't homebrew with the update. But we need to know more about your wii.

Arikado beat me to it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2010 04:36AM by dirtrider73068.
February 26, 2010 04:41AM
I have homebrew 1.0....does that sound right? Just for a 2nd opinion. i assume you read this entire post. Do you say it would be ok for me to update through the disc channel so I can play my games without losing anything I accomplished?
February 26, 2010 04:44AM
If you have the latest HBC it should be version 1.0.6(there will 3 numbers to the HBC version) I think is the right latest version. If not you can update the HBC then do the disc update and you won't lose HBC.
February 26, 2010 04:48AM
I am pretty sure i have the 1.0.6. But can you please refresh me on how to make sure i got the latest update for the homebrew channel before i update through the disk channel...thanks
February 26, 2010 04:51AM
If you have a wireless internet connection and you're not on the latest version of the HBC, you will be prompted to update to the latest version of the HBC. Otherwise, run the latest HackMii Installer ( [bootmii.org] ) as though it were an application in the HBC to update.
February 26, 2010 04:51AM
I had to check myself couldn't remember, go to your HBC and open it, choose start, once it loads hit the home button on wiimote, then in the top right corner it will give your version of hbc.
February 26, 2010 04:58AM
ok. if it needs updated, can you tell me how. Do i go to homebrew browser and let it open. is that where it will tell me if it needs to update...if i have version 1.0.6, then it will be ok to update wii through disc channel so i can play my games again...correct?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login