Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DVDX Didn't Load With HBC

Posted by crgauth 
DVDX Didn't Load With HBC
March 06, 2010 04:52PM
When I loaded HBC, I don't think DVDX loaded. Or at least I don't see a menu item to access DVDX.
Is there some way to load it without having to go back to HBC load process?
I do have HBB loaded.
Or am I missing how to access DVDX?
Thanks
Re: DVDX Didn't Load With HBC
March 06, 2010 04:53PM
HBB application to get mplayer
March 06, 2010 05:08PM
You apparently dont know what DVDX is. Read up: [wiibrew.org]
March 06, 2010 06:56PM
Thanks FreeGame36
Airkado, I think a less tersely worded email would have been ok. Not all of us can be experts at this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2010 06:57PM by crgauth.
March 06, 2010 07:17PM
I'm sorry; I simply don't understand why someone would install something if they don't know what it is. Furthermore, you clearly refuse to read the link I gave you because you obviously don't care about what you're doing to your $250 (USD) Wii.

Because I'm a nice guy and I want you to care, I'll give you the gist of it:

DVDX is a hidden channel. It does not appear in the HBC or on your Wii menu. Putting a DVD into your Wii does not make it work. In order for DVDX to work, you need to have custom homebrew software to make it work. MPlayer CE is currently the best available program to let you use DVDX to play DVDs on your Wii.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2010 07:18PM by Arikado.
March 06, 2010 10:33PM
I do care and did read the wiki at first. Must have misunderstood.
Your last paragraph was very helpful and what I was looking for.
Thanks
March 06, 2010 11:21PM
crgauth
I do care and did read the wiki at first. Must have misunderstood.
Your last paragraph was very helpful and what I was looking for.
Thanks

Arikado might be a nice guy. I am not, I enjoy pointing out stupidity when I see it (and in turn having stupidity that I post pointed out to me).

How could you misunderstand this

DVDx Wiki
Q: Why does my Wii not read my DVDs?
A: Be sure that you properly install DVDX, and that the application that you are trying to use supports it. Because of the new title ID, all current applications will fail to load DVDX. libogc needs additional code that checks for the new title ID. All DVDX enabled apps need to be recompiled afterwards. If you are using a burned disc, make sure it is burned correctly. Try re-burning the DVD on a DVD-R if it is not already. If you are using one of Tantric's apps (the GX emulators), try using an older version, as many times in the past he has accidently broken DVD support.

It clearly states that you have to make sure the application that you are using supports DVDx; now, I'm going to ask you a question. Where do you see anything, anywhere, that says the Homebrew Channel uses DVDx to read DVDs? Please, I'm all ears.

EDIT: You know what? I'm gonna take this even a step further, and ask another question.

Where'd you get the idea that the HBC reads DVDs at all? Look on the right hand side of the wiki for the Homebrew Channel [wiibrew.org] right where it says Peripherals. I see nothing saying it works with DVDs anywhere.

Do research, before you do anything else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2010 11:54PM by cactusjack901.
March 07, 2010 05:26AM
Don't remember where I read it. Yes it is clearly obvious to those who are very familiar.
I thought the purpose of this forum was to help people not berate them for asking questions.
The description is: New to this? Put your newb questions here.
March 07, 2010 06:46AM
crgauth
Don't remember where I read it. Yes it is clearly obvious to those who are very familiar.
I thought the purpose of this forum was to help people not berate them for asking questions.
The description is: New to this? Put your newb questions here.

You're very right, however, there's a difference between asking a question, and asking a question because you don't feel like reading a little. You won't get anywhere if you don't read a little, that goes for both hacking, and life in general. Your question, was based in not reading. Had you asked a question like "I see websites telling me I need a Trucha Bugged IOS, what does that mean, do I need it, and why do I need it?" I would've been MORE than happy to answer your questions.
March 07, 2010 07:18AM
Cactusjack901, first you need to chill out, people come here to seek help and information for a reason they don't understand what they are doing or looking for. If you like to tell people they are stupid then maybe you need to either go somewhere else or don't volunteer your help. It could be he didn't know where to go read up dvdx, and needed somebody to point out where to go so he could read up on it. I have used the wiki for some time and still have a hard time getting around and finding things maybe he had a hard as well trying to find info on dvdx. If you don't like the way somebody made a post skip and go on.

Crgauth if you think Arikado's reply was harsh then you have a bad view of things, compared to what I have seen since being here that was a easy nice reply, he was simply saying that you didn't read anything about it and pointed you right to what you need to know, relax don't take things to hard.
March 07, 2010 07:36AM
dirtrider73068
Cactusjack901, first you need to chill out, people come here to seek help and information for a reason they don't understand what they are doing or looking for.

That's exactly the problem that I'm talking about though, people modding their wii, not knowing what they're doing, or why they're doing it. They might say that their why is they want to run homebrew apps. Great, so do I. What's your reasoning for that though. For me, I can say I want to run Homebrew apps so I can learn all I can about the Wii and its inner workings. My best friend would say he finds many of the homebrew apps to be fun, and he likes being able to know that his system isn't locked down like it is when he bought it. Everybody has a different reason, and I firmly believe you have to understand that reason first. Then you do research into this, and learn what each program does.

To put it simply, if I gave you a program, and said it was really cool and makes your Windows computer capable of OS X programs (similar to WINE), would you blindly run it? No, of course not, you do a google search to see if its legit, unless you knew me, and knew I wrote it, in which case you would blindly run it. For the most part, however, you'd see if its legit, see what it does, what using it entails, all that stuff. What makes your Wii any different than your computer?

Having a hard time finding your way around the Wiki and then asking for help is different than not doing it at all. Crgauth however, skimmed, if anything, over any relevant info. What he had asked about is discussed in several places on the Wiki. All of these discussions CLEARLY state how DVDx is used. The only way to misinterpret that to mean that you can load DVDs from the Homebrew Channel is to skim over the text, or to not read it at all. Let's assume he did legitimately misunderstand though. Wouldn't the first course of action to be take a look at the DVDx page or the Homebrew Channel page to see if you misread or misunderstood something? I generally go by the rule of if I don't understand after an hour and a half, then I ask for help. Looks to me like Crgauth, skimmed, if read at all, tried, asked. No real effort put into it on his part. That's the problem I'm talking about.

Any questions?
March 07, 2010 05:06PM
But you still don't have to be hateful and point out they are stupid when you they over look something. The way he asked about I would have just as simply put a link to where dvdx was or just told him how it worked would have been easier then be hateful to him over something so trivial.
March 07, 2010 05:24PM
guys. its simple. read the post and help or move on. research is the best method. i researched for 3 weeks tons of hrs before i even bought a sd card....mine went smooth and i knew exactley what i needed and was doing. if you dont want to destroy your wii, please read, read and more read. about the only thing i cant do to a wii is create the programs for it. That would be awsome to learn but its out of my league. this site is great and so are the people that make it happen. Again, Please do your research before proceeding. Life will be easier in the end.....peace all.....
March 07, 2010 07:13PM
What this all boils down to is that we write the wiki so people don't have to ask questions. All questions can be answered by reading the wiki. If something is unclear, or not straightforward, or you want confirmation that you are doing/understanding something correctly; then in that case the forum becomes the premier place to go to. In these cases, everyone is more than happy to help you.

When it seems that someone did no research before installing things onto their Wii and they want people rewrite the wiki for them on the forums, this is where problems happen. People who wrote the wiki get upset that people won't even look at it. To reiterate from before: It's one thing if you don't understand the wiki, but it's a whole other thing when you refuse to even try it. It becomes even worse when someone links you to exactly the information you need and you still refuse to even attempt to read it.

Even if you are the biggest bonehead in the world though, people on this forum will still help you. You'll just have to sift through some sly remarks. And if you hang around long enough, you'll soon be dishing out these remarks to other new users.

This is what separates us from other forums for Wii homebrew on the internet: The people here know what they're talking about. This forum was created by the people who made Wii homebrew and whom wrote the a good large chunk of the wiki. Believe it or not, even these people once upon a time didnt know how to open a disc drive; So we don't ban or get angry at you for being inexperienced - and unlike other forums we don't make you an admin either - but we do get a little upset when you get stubborn about doing work to accomplish something you want.

I guess what I'm trying is this: You came to this forum because it is the best WIi homebrew forum out there. Expect rude remarks when you try to make us do all the work for you (however we will still help you). This is for your good as we could easily tell you how to brick your Wii and you would blindly follow us. And if you really can't stand it, you're more than welcome to leave. Just don't come crawling back to us asking how to fix your Wii after you've ruined your Wii because some asstard screwed up writing something for you to follow.
March 07, 2010 10:56PM
Well maybe that's what it is I haven't been around long enough to get my stomach full of the laziness that other have. It seems it the small stuff that shouldn't be a bother, to me its not. But like you said even given the link to exact spot to read and they don't then yes that would be irritating. But what do you with people like that, when given the info right in front of them don't read it, even if you have to tell them what to do, it still consist of reading.
March 07, 2010 11:26PM
dirtrider73068
Well maybe that's what it is I haven't been around long enough to get my stomach full of the laziness that other have. It seems it the small stuff that shouldn't be a bother, to me its not. But like you said even given the link to exact spot to read and they don't then yes that would be irritating. But what do you with people like that, when given the info right in front of them don't read it, even if you have to tell them what to do, it still consist of reading.

Right, it still consists of reading, but they don't have to leave the page.

Think of it this way, if you asked a really stupid question, that could easily be figured out by searching. If we were nice, you'd learn one thing, how to do what you asked.

If we were straight up dicks, you'd go research rather than deal with us, and thusly, learn a hell of a lot more, not just the hows, but also the whys.

If you came to us, and asked a legitimate question, like the example I gave before about the Trucha Bug. We'd be more than happy to help you, and point you in the direction to learn more than what we explain.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login