Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MPlayer Won't Read DVD

Posted by nickweb83 
MPlayer Won't Read DVD
March 07, 2010 11:29PM
Ok, so I recently bought a Wii. I did some research on this site before going ahead and running the Homebrew setup using Bannerbomb v2 and HackMii, making sure that DVDx installed as part of the process. I later went ahead and installed MPlayer CE. Everything looks as it should when I run MPlayer CE, but once I hit the option to play the DVD you hear the Wii trying to run the DVD and then everything locks up and I have to do a hard reset. I've tried this on a few different DVDs to no avail.
Re: MPlayer Won't Read DVD
March 08, 2010 12:00AM
You might have one of the new Wiis which can't read regular DVDs, they're not common, but they exist.
March 08, 2010 12:24AM
Thanks Cactus. Que sera sera. BANG BANG!
March 14, 2010 08:33PM
I have the same problem, only my Wii definitely is not new. It is running system menu 4.2 and I just hacked it with Bannerbomb yesterday. It appears that the problem is with Dual Layer discs and a recent update of some kind, as single layer discs with less than 4.3 GB of video work for me and others with the same problem.
March 14, 2010 09:50PM
you can check you system drive with this site.....[www.wiidrives.com] what drive you have and then see if its able to read dvd disc
March 14, 2010 09:53PM
heres the site gain to make sure you get it...you may just have to type it in your search browser

[www.wiidrives.com]
March 14, 2010 09:53PM
The issue is probably the dual-layer issue that seems to occur on many Wiis.
March 14, 2010 10:04PM
Also please note Wii consoles purchased towards the later half of 2009, including all black Wii consoles have a newer DVD drive (D3-2) inside them. These Wii consoles will not play games from blank DVD discs, they will however external DVD drive. To find out if your Wii is likely to have a D3-2 drive go to the site i provided you
March 16, 2010 11:24PM
I just checked and I have GC2-D2C (v1) for my drive. What discs can this drive read?
March 17, 2010 02:05AM
Try some.
March 18, 2010 10:52PM
After trying some discs I have lying around, I've found that only single layer DVD-R's are readable. Store bought movies and DVD+R's sometimes work, but they take a very long time to load, and if I stop the video, I cannot restart it.

Am I having a problem with MPlayer or is my DVD drive just not ideal for this?
March 19, 2010 07:32AM
sounds like your lens might just be dirty. A Lot of people had this issue when Brawl came out
March 19, 2010 11:45PM
Hmm, I already sent my Wii in due to graphics problems, and they sent me a refurb. This was after the Dual Layer Disc problem arose. Do you think I could still have the problem even though my Wii was serviced by Nintendo after the problem was discovered?
March 20, 2010 12:39AM
Possibly, because while they did know about the problem, they didn't check your Wii for this problem. Beyond that, it's also a problem that can occur over time with moderate to heavy use of the Wii's DVD drive
March 20, 2010 07:14PM
Ok, so can I use a cleaning CD to try to fix it, or is that not a good idea. I think Nintendo says you shouldn't, but you can't always trust them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login