Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I have a few questions about internet usage.

Posted by Weremuffin 
I have a few questions about internet usage.
March 23, 2010 08:59PM
So over half a year ago I installed the HBC on my Wii.
I'd used it for internet stuffs beforehand, But I had no internet available when I installed the HBC.
And none since.
Because of this, in attempts to get it online, I've lost my original internet settings for it.

What with a certain game having come out on WiiWare(Cave Story :D), My interest in getting it online again has been revived.
However I'm slightly wary on doing such.

Is it true that WC24 must be off?
From what I understand it is needed for online games.
I've heard you can just turn off Standby and it won't auto update, Is this true?

Seeing how Standby on my Wii is still on and I can't turn it off until I can get online, Could something happen like an auto update to the dreaded 4.2 while I'm heading to turn it off?

TL;DR:
Is it safe to use the Wii for Wii Shop stuffs with the HBC installed?

.. Sorry if this seems like a Newbish question. *blinks*
Re: I have a few questions about internet usage.
March 23, 2010 09:06PM
Don't worry about WC24, I always have it on. I also buy stuff from the shop channel on occasion. So basically, you're totally safe
March 23, 2010 09:15PM
There is no issue with connecting your wii to the internet or using WC24. Nintendo will not update your wii without your consent. Currently, they will not brick it for any reason unless it was originally Korean and changed to another region, in which case updating to 4.2 would brick it with a 003 error.

To use the shop channel, you must have the latest version of it. If you don't want to update to 4.2, you can install IOS 61 and the latest shop channel with DOP-Mii.
March 23, 2010 09:15PM
Okay, I guess I'll try getting on a little later.
Thanks for the quick reply. :D

edit:
.. Geez. I get ninja'd in a thanks post.

I'm a little wary with upgrading to 4.2.
4.1 is fine with me.

Any tips for using DOP-Mii?
I'm not really in the mood to brick it anytime soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2010 09:19PM by Weremuffin.
March 23, 2010 10:00PM
Don't worry about 4.2, as long as you're not an idiot with it, you'll be fine. Also DOP-Mii is a great piece of software. I will, however, say you should err on the side of caution and install Bootmii as Boot2, or if you can't, install Priiloader
March 23, 2010 10:11PM
.. I just want to be fully sure now, As I do still actively use my Wii for games.

4.2 is safe now? Despite my hearing of it doing such as randomly bricking or removing the HBC.
If I were too, Would I need to reinstall the HBC?
How would it affect my console?

Hm, Even to me these sound like questions that I should know just fine. :/
March 23, 2010 10:32PM
4.2 was always "Safe" the problem is that it updates boot2 (which doesn't hinder one's ability to INSTALL bootmii), occasionally, someone would update during a thunderstorm, or trip over their power adapter, which would cause the boot2 to not be written fully, and thusly brick their Wii. 4.2 also checks for the channel title of HAXX, which was the Homebrew Channel, and remove it, but the HBC's title has since been changed to JODI.

For the most part, the 4.2 update is kinda useless. I only updated from 4.1 so I could still hop on WFC, to be honest
March 24, 2010 05:50PM
Hm, Interesting.

So latest HBC has a different channel title?
What is the latest version?
As I've seen a few videos of the HBC that look slightly different then what I have, which I thought was the latest.

*blinks* A quick look on Wikipedia tells me pretty much what has been said here.
I swear 4.2 really was having random brickings and such. :/

Aside from the HBC, The only other "major" homebrew type thing(aside from any Apps) I've installed would be DVDx.
Although I've never been able to get anything that uses DVDx to work. :/

.. Sorry if this seems disjointed or something, I'm kinda writing this up while I also do research on this subject.

On the main site is this message: "WiiBrew recommends that you do not update your Wii through Nintendo.".
What exactly does that mean? Is there an alternate way to update the Wii?

.. I guess I'll go ahead and update to 4.2 while hoping that I don't end up bricking the poor thing..
.. Not that there'd be a reason to call it a poor thing, Works fine for me. *blinks*

.. Thanks for all the info, Cactusjack & JBC.
If I ever have any sorta Homebrew related questions, I'll make sure to come back here.
March 24, 2010 06:29PM
Weremuffin
So latest HBC has a different channel title?
What is the latest version?
As I've seen a few videos of the HBC that look slightly different then what I have, which I thought was the latest.

The latest Homebrew Channel version is 1.0.6. Old versions of it had title ID HAXX, but system menu 4.2 deletes anything called HAXX, so it was changed to JODI (the name of the person responsible for designing the update, I believe). However, you can only see title IDs with certain homebrew programs such as AnyTitle Deleter.

Weremuffin
I swear 4.2 really was having random brickings and such. :/

The boot2 update has bricked a few wiis, but the number of wiis it bricked is very small. Nintendo fixes wiis bricked by a failed update for free.

Weremuffin
Aside from the HBC, The only other "major" homebrew type thing(aside from any Apps) I've installed would be DVDx.
Although I've never been able to get anything that uses DVDx to work. :/

If you have recently had your disc drive replaced, this is normal. There is nothing you can do about it. If you have an older disc drive, you probably need to older version of DVDx. Everything released since the 4.2 update works with the new DVDx, but older things only work with the old DVDx, which is deleted by system menu 4.2. It can be installed with the Hackmii Installer 0.4 or older or the old DVDx installer.

Weremuffin
On the main site is this message: "WiiBrew recommends that you do not update your Wii through Nintendo.".
What exactly does that mean? Is there an alternate way to update the Wii?

The latest update was released for the sole purpose of removing homebrew. Therefore there is no reason to update. However, nearly everything works on 4.2, so you can update if you want. You could update manually with a program such as DOP-Mii; however, this can easily brick your wii if you don't know what you are doing. You certainly should not use any "safe" updaters, as they are a common cause of full bricks. It is usually best to perform the official update or not update at all.
March 26, 2010 12:16AM
jbc007
If you have recently had your disc drive replaced, this is normal. There is nothing you can do about it. If you have an older disc drive, you probably need to older version of DVDx. Everything released since the 4.2 update works with the new DVDx, but older things only work with the old DVDx, which is deleted by system menu 4.2. It can be installed with the Hackmii Installer 0.4 or older or the old DVDx installer.

What exactly is meant by this? I too am having DVDx problems, specifically with MPlayer-CE. If I sent my Wii in to Nintendo a year and a half ago, could my drive have been replaced with a new one? Also, if my drive is not too new, do I need an old version of DVDx, or is that dependent on System Menu (I have 4.2)? I was really hoping to be able to play DVD's when I hacked my Wii. (My DVD player doesn't support component video output.)
March 26, 2010 01:07AM
If your disc drive was replaced over a year ago, it can play DVDs. The new DVDx, which is installed by the Hackmii Installer 0.5 and newer, does not work with old applications. This is because system menu 4.2 deletes anything with the title ID DVDX. Therefore, Team Twiizers changed the title ID to DISC.

MPlayer CE .76 works with the new DVDx, but older versions do not. Also, the USB 2.0 cIOS will allow MPlayer CE (but nothing else) to read DVDs without DVDx installed.
March 26, 2010 04:52PM
Fascinating.

I'm feeling good about updating now, So I guess I'll go ahead. *blinks*

On the DVDx bit, Never had to replace anything with my Wii.
Disc Drive works fine for me. Although at least twice it would fail to read a new game.
But unplugging/replugging fixes that for some reason.

.. So. Anyway.
I checked, I seem to have the latest.
But I might as well update the HBC again just to be safe.

Again, Thanks for all the info everyone.
March 27, 2010 01:43AM
Ok, so my drive should be able to read DVD's and I have the latest version of MPlayer-CE, the USB cIOS, DVDx, and Wii System Menu, and its still not working for me. Any suggestions?
March 27, 2010 11:30PM
To any curious, The update was successful and my Wii runs just fine.
Although I haven't tried opening the HBC or loading a disc yet, But I assume they'd still work fine.

Once again, Thanks for all of the info everyone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login