Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about newer games

Posted by Sasuke3759 
Question about newer games
April 23, 2010 02:53AM
I'm currently using the Wii system "4.1U" and I have avoided updating to 4.2 because I have read that there is a chance for my Wii to brick.

I know that certain games force you to update your Wii before playing, and Metroid: Other M and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are on the horizon. I was wondering, if these games do require an update, is there a way around it, or a safe way to update my Wii to 4.2?

Thanks
Re: Question about newer games
April 23, 2010 03:25AM
It is safe to update to 4.2, but if you want to avoid the update, you can launch the game with Gecko OS. If you would like to run newer games from the system menu without performing the update, you must patch it with Priiloader or StartPatch.

Keep in mind, newer games will fail to launch from the patched system menu if they require an IOS that is not installed on your wii. If appropriate, you can install IOSes with DOP-Mii.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2010 03:26AM by jbc007.
April 23, 2010 03:34AM
jbc007
It is safe to update to 4.2
Has something changed? I do have homebrew on my Wii, and I thought that updating to 4.2 with that on my Wii gave it a chance to brick.

jbc007
but if you want to avoid the update, you can launch the game with Gecko OS.
I have Gecko OS on my Wii as well.

So, if I run Gecko OS and just hit "launch game" it will bypass the update all together?

Thanks for the help and I apologize for all the questions. =)
April 23, 2010 04:00AM
Sasuke3759
jbc007
It is safe to update to 4.2
Has something changed? I do have homebrew on my Wii, and I thought that updating to 4.2 with that on my Wii gave it a chance to brick.

Nothing changed; the update was never particularly dangerous, and it has nothing to do with whether you have homebrew (despite Nintendo's claims to the contrary). The "issue" is with Nintendo's boot2 update code. It usually works fine, and even when it doesn't, boot2 usually still works. Also, there are two versions of boot2, so even if one of the versions does not work, the wii will not be bricked. Although it has happened to a few wiis, the update fails on both versions of boot2 very rarely. Also, Nintendo will replace any wiis bricked by the update for free. Due to the nature of the problem, they are unable to determine if the wii has homebrew, so that is not an issue.

If you still don't want to perform Nintendo's boot2 update, you can update boot2 with DOP-Mii. DOP-Mii uses Bushing's code to update boot2, which was originally used to install Bootmii. To my knowledge, this has not bricked a single wii. However, the number of wiis it has been used on is much smaller.

Sasuke3759
jbc007
but if you want to avoid the update, you can launch the game with Gecko OS.

So, if I run Gecko OS and just hit "launch game" it will bypass the update all together?

If you already have the IOS used by the game, that is correct. If you don't have the necessary IOS, Gecko OS will offer to install it. It is completely safe to do this; however, it will probably fail to install with newer games. In this case, it will still tell you which IOS you need, and you can install it with DOP-Mii. After installing the game's IOS, you can launch it through Gecko.

Sasuke3759
Thanks for the help and I apologize for all the questions. =)

No problem, glad I could help. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2010 04:06AM by jbc007.
April 23, 2010 05:22AM
I updated to 4.2 and the homebrew channel is gone along with a lot of files on my SD card.

It isn't a big deal, the most important part is that my Wii didn't brick.

Do I need to start from scratch and reinstall the homebrew channel with twilight hack, or just replace the files on my SD card?
April 23, 2010 05:51AM
You need to use Bannerbomb to reinstall the Homebrew Channel (from now on, try to keep on top of updating that), and the files shouldn't have been deleted from your SD card, check again
April 23, 2010 06:35AM
You are right, the files were all there. I just looked in a folder that was named very similarly to one that I knew had a ton of stuff in it.

Everything is now in working order.

Thank you both.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login