Restore Wii to factory NAND for repair
June 01, 2010 09:41PM
I just found that my Wii will no longer read discs. I've tried many of the online tricks with no help. I've even tried restoring my NAND from a backup with no luck so I need to wipe ALL the homebrew stuff off my Wii so that I can send it to Nintendo for a repair.

I've heard that Nintendo has a scanning program/discs that looks for any and all Homebrew mods and if they find anything they return your Wii with a "too bad so sad" type of statement and they refuse to fix the Wii.

Since I have DLC & DLG I need Nintendo to either fix this Wii or transfer my stuff over to the replacement Wii.

I have BootMii installed along with the Homebrew channel. So how can I wipe EVERYTHING and restore the Wii to a factory state so Nintendo doesn't learn of my Wii hacking? :)

Thanks for any tips or guides.
Re: Restore Wii to factory NAND for repair
June 01, 2010 10:24PM
What all have you installed on your wii (things you have uninstalled can matter too, as they are not always completely deleted)? Also, what, if any, NAND modifying programs (AnyTitle Deleter, AnyRegion Changer, cIOS installers, etc.) have you used? These programs can leave traces that Nintendo can detect, but you would not usually see.
June 01, 2010 11:27PM
thanks for the reply...

it's been a while since i've dug into the HomeBrew stuff, but I think a good portion is only on my SD card. I've used some region programs (GeckoOS??) to allow me to play some imported games, but I don't think it changed the Wii's hard locked region, it only allowed me to boot the game from within the menu.

The biggest thing I've done is install BootMii to the NAND (or where ever it goes) so that I could backup my NAND (which saved me when Nintendo rolled out the 4.2u update as the first patch nearly bricked the Wii and if not for my BootMii backup I would have needed a repair then). I know I haven't used "anytitle", "anyregion" or cIOS stuff.

So I'm pretty sure I can remove my SD card and take care of most of it, but the BootMii "boot2" thing has me the most worried.

I can look into it more later as I have to go to work soon, but welcome any tips on this so that I can get it repaired or at least my saves and DLC moved over.
June 02, 2010 01:43AM
This is good. You have not installed anything that will be difficult to remove. You may want to make a NAND backup before you remove anything. That way, you can simply reinstall Bootmii and restore the NAND backup when you get your wii back, thereby avoiding most of the effort of reinstalling things.

To remove the homebrew, simply launch the latest version of the Hackmii Installer (v0.6), and have it uninstall the Homebrew Channel, Bootmii (be sure that Bootmii is no longer installed either as boot2 or as IOS), and DVDx if you have it. Since you used Gecko OS, the Homebrew Channel probably appears in the play logs. If it does, you will have to format your wii to delete the play log. Finally, perform an update through the system settings (this is probably unnecessary and may do nothing at all, but if there is anything unusual about your IOSes, the update will take care of it).

When you get your wii back, it will have a new disc drive which will not be able to play DVDs. Aside from replacing the drive yourself, there is nothing you can do about this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2010 01:49AM by jbc007.
June 03, 2010 12:27AM
thanks for the info, I'll do what I can to remove things. Is there a scaning program that I can run to double checke my removals?

Also, never cared about playing DVDs on the Wii so the new drive won't matter to me on that front. :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login