Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Don't want to screw anything up when I try to install and stuff.

Posted by Patcheresu 
Don't want to screw anything up when I try to install and stuff.
June 06, 2010 03:38AM
Audience across the internet,

I am screwed bigtime if I fail all over this stuff and brick my Wii. So I will share information that will help point me whether I'm going to screw up.

Wii:
PURCHASED: Around December 17, 2006.(My warranty was already time voided 2 years ago so I don't care for the warranty voiding.
SYSTEM MENU:4.2U(Last updated with Super Mario Galaxy 2 and has been updated before with New Super Mario Bros.)
COLOR:White
COMPONENTS AT HAND:
1 Nintendo Official Wii Mote,
1 Nintendo Official Nunchuck,
2 Gamecube Controllers (1 Official, 1 Gaamestop.),
2 Gamecube Memory Cards
1 Sandisk 2 GB for Wii purchased 6/5/2010

Processes Used:
Bannerbomb Exploit v2 from this link http://bannerbomb.qoid.us/index.new.php
HackMii Installer 0.6 from this link http://bootmii.org/download/

Plan:
Format SD for Wii to FAT32.
Copy boot.elf and private folder onto device
Load into Wii and head to SD CARD MENU DIRECTLY FROM SYSTEM MENU
If exploit works, use Gamecube controller to load Homebrew Channel.
BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP! I will back it up on a flash drive and on another computer. I also have two more SD cards (2 GB Sandisk MicroSD card with Adapter and 64 MB hp SD card.) that I can back up to as well.
Enjoy!

MAIN QUESTIONS:
Am I about to screw up bigtime?
I hope not.
Is there something I should know or involve that I haven't clearly?
Again, ya might as well add a herp de derp derp after every post because the only thing I saw in explicit detail is installing at first. I know nothing of the DVDX and how to Backup but I can look those up at request.
Is there a process I should take advantage of to ensure this does not brick or damage anything internally?
I really hope someone can answer this because I don't understand why I must immediately back up my data but I understand that it has to be done and I will do it.

I have trust in this program IF and ONLY IF it is used right because my technological knowledge is that of a Senior Tech Support Official. I know a few more solutions than the next guy but not more than the people who are advanced technicians so please bare with me. I can crack open a dictionary if possibile instead of making you do all the work but please. PLEASE. READ THIS POST TO KNOW WHAT I HAVE.

patcheresu@gmail.com I have set it up to alert me if someone commented but also, TALK TO ME IN DETAIL IF NECESSARY. I check my email at least once a day on slow days in my life. If I have work to do I will still check it. And before you ask I meant helping around the house, I'm only 13.
Re: Don't want to screw anything up when I try to install and stuff.
June 06, 2010 03:45AM
Your plan will work correctly.

However, since you have an older wii, when you launch the hackmii installer, you're asked if you would like to install bootmii IOS or bootmii boot2. Choose the bootmii boot2 selection, then let it install. This will make it so that when you turn on your wii with the SD card inserted, the bootmii menu will be launched. From there, you can backup your NAND with a GC controller.
June 06, 2010 03:46AM
Sounds perfect. For NAND backups, you would install BootMii/boot2. That provides brick protection under most circumstances. It cannot protect against botched boot2 updates (but those are very rare).

EDIT: If you do not have a GameCube controller, press the Power button to cycle through options in the BootMii menu and press Reset to pick an option.

I'm not entirely sure where the menu item that allows you to back up the NAND is right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2010 03:49AM by WikiFSX.
June 06, 2010 04:03AM
EDIT:According to the mighty words of SanDisk:

All devices are formatted off the bat but if you need to reformat, DO IT IN FAT INSTEAD of FAT32 if it is 2 GB or less. Which is me.

So I'll just do it.

Anything dangerous in that menu? Because I have a little sibling who I share the Wii with who played videogames at such a young age, he's not used to reading what they tell him because he couldn't read when he started playing. Bad sign:He thought the nunchuck was busted when he was supposed to steer a car by the "Wii Mote on the side" scheme used in stuff like Wii Wheels. He may or may not be used to reading some white text on a black screen so should I tutor him on not bricking the Wii. He can easily get used to clicking certain things, though. So that's one of the bad endings in my head for this thing.

1. Interference I can just watch the Wii.
2. Alex not reading I ask if there is anything bad in the menus to touch.
3. Everything works out.
4. Partial brick which I can fix.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!! It is very appreciated.
June 06, 2010 04:18AM
There isn't really anything he can screw up with your wii, according to the things you say you're going to install.

If you install bootmii as boot2, just tell him to press the reset button when it comes up on the screen. This will take him to the wii menu.
Alternately, you could just remove the SD card when he's using the wii. Then he won't access things homebrew related.

I hope that helps answer your questions.
June 06, 2010 04:28AM
THANK YOU!!!!
June 06, 2010 05:32AM
Sorry for double posting.

SUCCESS! I have backed up, did just as was planned and it worked just fine.

Good news:Homebrew Channel, Homebrew Browser downloaded, and boot2 BootMii is ccorrectly set up.

Bad news:Did not do the research and now tomorrow I have to get an SD Card out of a slot WITHOUT a spring release. Lol. I thought it had one so I put it in all the way and now it won't come out. It reads great! But it won't come out.
June 06, 2010 06:09AM
Thats weird... So you tried pushing on it and it won't come back out?
June 06, 2010 01:51PM
NO. It won't come back out. Excuse my cursing but "for Wii" my ass! I DOWNLOADED the homebrew browser and INSTALLED it only on my USB. So my SD card makes it so that all I see is bubbles. I was told once to not put anything but bannerbomb on it when installing so I didn't.
June 06, 2010 03:02PM
Good news! Placing a piece of hard metals(screwdriver) and your fingers on the other side will pop that baby right out! SD Card still works but I'm relying on my USB for I dun wan mah SD card to beez ate agunz.
June 11, 2010 12:59PM
Patcheresu
Good news! Placing a piece of hard metals(screwdriver) and your fingers on the other side will pop that baby right out! SD Card still works but I'm relying on my USB for I dun wan mah SD card to beez ate agunz.

Use tweezers next time. That much force on such a little piece of hardware could damage it or, if your finger/screwdriver slipped, the sync button, the Wii, the disk drive, or your finger.
June 11, 2010 04:14PM
Actually it is more like playing chopsticks. You're not trying to snap the food piece's neck but gently pull it. I NEVER push inward. It's a bad idea considering it is two screwdrivers. And Nintendo can repair it out of my cold dead hands.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login