Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

4.3U Smashstack Help

Posted by SpawnHyuuga 
4.3U Smashstack Help
July 13, 2010 10:00PM
Firstly, can someone define the difference(s) between CIOS and IOS? :/

Secondly - I'm trying to get HBC back on Wii after 4.3 install via SmashStack...but Bootmii says I don't have any vulnerable IOS.

I feel really stupid and the answer is probably out there, but I'm using Wii Opera to communicate currently.
Re: 4.3U Smashstack Help
July 13, 2010 10:08PM
I guess I can use DOP-Mii (IOS 30)? Again, I feel stupid but how exactly does it run? :/
July 13, 2010 11:37PM
There is a method to get HBC back on a 4.3 Wii, but it doesn't involve Bootmii. It involves a lot of IOS-modifying programs (the task is simpler to do if you load LoadMii through Smash Stack). But, it's not recommended right now for the Homebrew Channel, since the method's too complex. You're better off just using LoadMii in Smash Stack to load homebrew, or wait for the new Hackmii Installer.
July 14, 2010 12:57AM
Alright thanks for the reply. I'm probably oversimplifying it, but I thought maybe an IOS wad could be converted to .elf for Bootmii - but because I'm not a risktaker I'll just wait on a new Bootmii - should it ever be made... :/
July 14, 2010 01:51AM
Could I use an .elf that installs WADs to do the IOS thing...
July 14, 2010 02:38AM
Talking about third-party WADs (unless it's Homebrew Channel) isn't usually allowed.

Anyway, I'm still on 4.2. I promised myself that, until they release Earthbound on the Virtual Console (*keeps an eye on the sky for pigs*), HBC will stay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2010 02:39AM by Mestizo.
July 14, 2010 02:44AM
Mestizo
Talking about third-party WADs (unless it's Homebrew Channel) isn't usually allowed.
The Homebrew Channel is not a WAD. It is a channel.
Also, the HackMii Installer isn't the same as BootMii.
July 14, 2010 03:06AM
My mistake, the names catch me off guard. I just want to get back to HBC without brick or pain.

Isn't a channel just an installed/unpackaged wad?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2010 03:07AM by SpawnHyuuga.
July 14, 2010 03:33AM
No, a WAD is an archive of the Wii's software such as IOSes and yes channels. You've got it backwards.
July 14, 2010 03:53AM
Alright - well I guess the original question was answered, I was just hoping to get Hackmii and HBC running now. Oh well - I get what I deserve for updating from original system menu. (I think it was 2.X before..)
July 16, 2010 10:50PM
I hate to bring this discussion back up, but for review:

* It is not possible to use SmashStack to install a vulnerable IOS for Hackmii.

If I reformat the system memory (menu) I will still have 4.3U right? What if I reformat the NAND through homebrew? Will that bring me back to 2.X/3.X?
July 17, 2010 12:37AM
There is no way to "Reformat the NAND through homebrew" except with Comex's NAND Formatter, which requires BootMii/boot2 to be run, and which will install whatever System Menu you give it (it'd do 1.0 if you had the WADs, but they're not on NUS).

Anyway, unless you have BootMii/boot2, that's irrelevant.

The only way to get HBC on 4.3 is to do the following:

Install oldest revision of IOS41 from NUS (Use NUSD and WadImport, or dop-Mii)
Use IOS41 to downgrade IOS15 (use TBR, or dop-Mii)
Use downgraded IOS15 to patch IOS36 with trucha bug, ES_DiVerify and NAND Permissions (use TBR, or dop-Mii)
Restore IOS15 (use TBR, or dop-Mii)
Use IOS36 to downgrade IOS34 to its latest revision prior to the current one (Use dop-Mii)
Install Priiloader using IOS36 and install the 4.3x hacks.ini and enable the "No Delete HAXX, DVDX, JODI, DISC and DISK" hack
Run HackMii Installer and install HBC and DVDx.

You'll notice most steps can be done with dop-Mii, which is the easiest way to do it.
July 17, 2010 12:47AM
What is the rate of bricking on that? If I brick, I'm dead - and I never did Boot2. :/

I could do that long chain of stuff if SmashStack will work with it. :D
July 17, 2010 04:37AM
It is very unlikely that you will brick with that method. I think the most dangerous part is installing Priiloader, as it modifies the system menu, but the risk is still very small.

If you can install BootMii boot 2, the HackMii installer should run after patching IOS 36 (I don't know why everyone says you need IOS 34 patched, when I hacked my Wii it used IOS 36). You won't be able to install and keep DVDX and the Homebrew Channel at that point, but if the installer runs it can install BootMii boot 2, which you can use for protection for the rest of the procedure.
July 17, 2010 01:07PM
winmaster: You need an unpatched IOS, and many people choose to patch IOS36. You need a downgraded IOS34, because the latest revision doesn't work with HackMii Installer. Downgrading IOS36 to its previous revision and not patching it may work as well, but you need IOS36 patched to install Priiloader, so you'd have to unpatch it and downgrade it after the Priiloader installation, so its easier to just patch IOS36 and downgrade IOS34.

And yes, the only part with any real risk is the Priiloader installation, if any of the other steps go wrong, it can be fixed. If that step goes wrong, it can't. But the only way I know of for it to go wrong is in the event of a loss of power, so don't do it during a storm and you should be fine ;)
July 17, 2010 06:36PM
Alright let's see if we can get this to work! I miss my SNES games.

SifJAR: Can you please expand on how to load the said application, dop-Mii without HBC. It's a DOL and Smashstack can load an .elf - also what exactly is TBR? Is that like "Trucha Bug Restorer"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2010 07:08PM by SpawnHyuuga.
July 17, 2010 11:18PM
You know. I might actually go about doing this right now, because I've been meaning to install Priiloader, as Bootmii hates my current SD card, I'd imagine Priiloader will make my life a shitload easier. I just need to go about installing 4.3, and jumping through 300000000x hoops to get everything working
July 17, 2010 11:39PM
uh cactusjack: You can install Priiloader without going to 4.3... Just use dop-Mii to patch IOS36, then install.

And SpawnHyuuga: Run LoadMii with Indiana Pwns (its an ELF) and use it to load dop-Mii. And yes TBR is Trucha Bug Restorer, its a commonly used abbreviation.
July 18, 2010 07:33AM
SifJar
uh cactusjack: You can install Priiloader without going to 4.3... Just use dop-Mii to patch IOS36, then install.

Yeah, I know, but I figure if I'm gonna install it, which involves a night of hacking and playing around. So I might as well install 4.3 in my point of view (based entirely on aesthetics)
July 18, 2010 02:10PM
I can't use Indiana Pwns, because I don't have the game. As it is I'm borrowing the physical DVD of Brawl from a friend.

Loadmii...got it.

EDIT: Loadmii is not working. Says Internal SD is not being used or rather cannot be used.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2010 11:25PM by SpawnHyuuga.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login