Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Netflix and HBC

Posted by Mestizo 
Netflix and HBC
August 24, 2010 12:40AM
I currently have HBC 1.0.8 and 4.3U system menu. I signed up for the Netflix on Wii service. I heard the disc has an update that could potentially brick the Wii. Is this true? Is that update safe?
Re: Netflix and HBC
August 24, 2010 12:56AM
If it had a update that could brick the wii then ninety would be haveing to fix alot of wii's at there expense, so I would hope that it doesn't do that and think from the guys here said before if they do that there is some legal issues against ninety if they did.
August 24, 2010 01:57AM
I know. I was one of the people that said it. I just heard about it, that it can either delete the HBC or brick the system.
August 24, 2010 03:23AM
Well I would think if you have the HBC updated, then it wouldn't hurt it, then update to 4.3. Though from the time netflix was released I don't think it would have had 4.3 on it. From what I have read and heard and understand, though netflix disc for the wii just tells the wii to access the netflix servers then the movies are fed into the wii. So From that I wouldn't think it would delete HBC or brick it. If it does brick it from running the netflix disc then ninety would have to fix your wii.
August 24, 2010 04:05AM
This question is really getting old. Aside from the complete lack of benefits to updating (which is actually a good reason not to update), there is absolutely no harm in updating. This fact does not change whether you update online or from a game/Netflix disc. The only thing that has ever been installed in an update from a disc that was not in the online update is an IOS (a new IOS obviously can't cause any issues), and these IOSes are later put on Nintendo's update servers.

Seriously, if you are so paranoid about this, dump the update partition from the disc and examine its contents. This really is the only way to find out what is in any given update (of course, identical discs have identical update partitions).

One final point; installing Bootmii/boot2 really is a good idea, to say the least. You already have the latest revision of boot2, so Bootmii will not be removed by the update. Even if the update does brick your wii (I assure you it won't), Bootmii will still run. As long as you install Bootmii/boot2 before the update, there can be absolutely nothing to worry about.

dirtrider73068
If it does brick it from running the netflix disc then ninety would have to fix your wii.

Although certainly not an issue, all evidence indicates to the contrary. Why do people just assume that Nintendo can brick region changed Korean wii's without consequence, but in any other case they would have to fix the bricked wiis?

By the way, who told you that the Netflix disc has a lethal update?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2010 04:09AM by jbc007.
August 24, 2010 06:43AM
You're right. I guess I am being paranoid. I was looking for reviews for the service on the Wii, and I ran into a video that mentions it, but he had a program on his Wii to load backups. Either it was something on his end, or he's quoting pure conjecture. I'll update this when I get the disk.

Also, I found it kind of odd how I had to update the Wii after updating to 4.3 to play New Super Mario Bros Wii, even have playing it before the update. How did the game's installation reset like that?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login