Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NAND Backup

Posted by alexanat 
NAND Backup
September 01, 2010 06:30PM
Is there a way to do this after I have installed Homebrew channel and gotten everything up and running? I can't seem to find my way back to that menu that lets me backup my NAND onto the SD card. I did it once on my own before everything, but I didnt cut and paste all of the files I needed, only the nand.bin... I should have copied and pasted so I had two copies no matter what, but I didn't. :(

Edit: Whenever I try to go to BootMii from the Homebrew Channel start menu page, my Wii just resets itself?

Also, how can I play GameCube games on my Wii now? (I'm talking about games I own)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2010 06:52PM by alexanat.
Re: NAND Backup
September 01, 2010 07:02PM
GC games just run them normally.

NAND dump: You need to run BootMii: Did you install as boot2 or IOS? If you installed as IOS, there is little point taking a NAND dump, but you may as well do so anyway.
September 01, 2010 07:07PM
I believe I installed it as an IOS (I have a black Wii that is running 4.3).

I've read that installing BootMii as a boot2 would boot itself in front of the Wii loader, is there any way I can do this? From what I've read so far, its either a) impossible or b) I would have to downgrade my Wii to a lower version, which is extremely risky.

The problem is that BootMii doesn't run, so I can't get a backup. It just resets my system whenever I use it. I have all the necessary files in my BootMii folder on my SD Card, and my SD card should be compatible. It is a PNY Optima 2GB.
September 01, 2010 07:49PM
I just deleted my BootMii files and reinstalled it and prepared the SD card and now I am backing up my NAND.
September 01, 2010 08:03PM
alexanat
I just deleted my BootMii files and reinstalled it and prepared the SD card and now I am backing up my NAND.

Cool. Yes, sometimes that works too :)

Keep in mind that eventhough backing up your NAND will not save you from a full brick since you can not install BootMii as boot2, it might come in handy if you make some modification to your wii and then you don't like it, or it does something strange such as corrupting the disc channel. With the backup you can always restore your Wii to its previous state without spending several hours figuring out how to fix something you broke.

And you only have one choice for boot2, which is a) impossible. Downgrading your Wii will not help since this is a hardware stuff.
September 01, 2010 09:06PM
You may want to consider installing Priiloader, which with BootMii IOS will give you some brick protection.
September 01, 2010 10:15PM
Yes, I have Priiloader as well. Thank you for the advice though.

If my Wii were to brick and I could get into the Priiloader menu, what steps would I have to take to unbrick it?

May as well ask now and prevent myself from freaking out in the future if it ever happens, although it shouldn't because I'm fairly careful.
September 02, 2010 03:12AM
Axel
Keep in mind that eventhough backing up your NAND will not save you from a full brick since you can not install BootMii as boot2, it might come in handy if you make some modification to your wii and then you don't like it, or it does something strange such as corrupting the disc channel. With the backup you can always restore your Wii to its previous state without spending several hours figuring out how to fix something you broke.

Doing this is risky. In fact, it is the most dangerous way to fix any problem. You should never restore a NAND backup with Bootmii/IOS.

Alexanat
If my Wii were to brick and I could get into the Priiloader menu, what steps would I have to take to unbrick it?

In almost all situations, it is a simple matter of deleting the custom channel or removing the system menu theme that you recently installed. Keep in mind that Priiloader will only protect you from banner bricks and such. If you don't install custom channels or system menu themes, Priiloader is useless from a brick protection perspective, as anything else that would brick your wii would also remove Priiloader.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2010 03:14AM by jbc007.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login