Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

emulator app difference (question)

Posted by Hokieman 
emulator app difference (question)
September 05, 2010 05:14AM
ive seen this new app called (vba GX channel installer) and so on with the GX emu. series. My question is what is the difference between the installers and the regular emulators.
Re: emulator app difference (question)
September 05, 2010 05:24AM
The installers install channels onto your Wii and the regular emulators are for running through the HBC.
September 05, 2010 04:57PM
The channel installers don't replace the emulator in your SD. You need both.

Installing the channel is optional. It install a channel in your WiiMenu that allows you launching the emulator from there instead of having to launch it from the HBC.

Personally, I don't see any advantage to channels, other than looking 'cool' in your Wii. I rather launching my homebrew from the HBC.
September 05, 2010 05:58PM
Axel
The channel installers don't replace the emulator in your SD. You need both.

Installing the channel is optional. It install a channel in your WiiMenu that allows you launching the emulator from there instead of having to launch it from the HBC.

Personally, I don't see any advantage to channels, other than looking 'cool' in your Wii. I rather launching my homebrew from the HBC.

Channels can replace the emulator on your SD card, depending whether they are a "forwarder" channel or a "full" channel. The later contains the actual program, the former contains a smaller program which loads the actual program from your SD card.
September 05, 2010 08:16PM
However, you still need to have ROMs somewhere. Therefore, you still need an SD card or other storage device.
September 10, 2010 03:52AM
Actually, I've found that I rather like the nifty look of having channels for some of the custom stuff and if you have both the app and the channel installer, you can delete the channel installer after you use it. Just click on it in the HBC and make sure it says "installer" in the description before you delete it, though. You don't want to delete the app itself. This helps keep your HBC from getting cluttered with stuff that looks like duplicate icons.
This applies to the specific channel installers.
If you have an app that creates your own custom channels, I'm guessing you know not to delete that on accident.
~Angua~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 03:53AM by Anguawolf.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login